Default Why Small Outboards Sink - Low Transoms Cited

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:47:00 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Be careful out there, especially the LTs among us.

INCOMING!!!!

Heh.

Low transom, everbody down,

Low transom, we're coming to a town.

(With apologies to the Erie Canal song)

HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Dec 12, 12:59 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
From Docksider Reports:
http://www.docksidereports.com/small...ety_at_sea.htm
Generally speaking, small boats such as outboards are far less sea
worthy than larger boats because:
The transoms are either wide open or cut down.
The cockpits are wide open, the freeboards are lower.
They have smaller and fewer bilge pumps, often only one.
They have smaller and fewer batteries.
Cockpit decks are not water tight.
Control cables have holes in liners that allow a lot of water entry.
Outboards have all the engine weight at the stern, making them stern
heavy.
Further on, same source:
Were I a lawyer, I could make a hell of a good legal argument that
boats that meet this description are not seaworthy to be out in the
ocean. But hundreds of them are out there every day and only a handful
of them meet with calamity. So why don't more of them founder? Mainly
due to dumb luck. It takes the right circumstances at the right time
to create the disaster. Like that loose bilge pump wire I mentioned
earlier.
One of those circumstances is when the fisherman stops and puts his
stern to the waves. Water is sloshing over the transom and what he is
not realizing is that the bilge is slowly filling up with water
through all those holes and leaks. It doesn't take much water in the
bilge before the hull looses enough buoyancy that one bigger wave
comes over the transom and fills up the cockpit. At this point, the
sheer weight of the water has turned moderate leakage into the hull
into cascades of water. The hull is now even lower in the water and
the next wave is the coup de gras.
Be careful out there, especially the LTs among us.

I am trying to figure out what possible advantage an LT boat offers.
Why wouldn't they include an engine well, it can't be that expensive.- Hide quoted text -

When you are trying to arrange 15-25 square feet in a under twenty
foot boat, a couple of feet makes a huge difference...

My model Parker is available with a "splash board" that would repel
backwash and keep it out of the cockpit. I know of one guy who ordered
it with his boat, on the 21' pilothouse model. He removed it. They're
just not necessary, except, maybe to guys who imagine they boat on Lake
LAnier with imaginary boats.
Dan Dan is offline

harry krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
From Docksider Reports:

I am trying to figure out what possible advantage an LT boat offers.
Why wouldn't they include an engine well, it can't be that expensive.

Only an inexperienced boater would believe that the splash guard on a
small outboard boat is going to keep water off the deck.

A splash guard isn't an engine well, bozo. The engine well has it's own
overboard drain(s).

"harry krause" wrote in message
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
From Docksider Reports:

I am trying to figure out what possible advantage an LT boat offers. Why
wouldn't they include an engine well, it can't be that expensive.

Only an inexperienced boater would believe that the splash guard on a
small outboard boat is going to keep water off the deck.

Come on Harry. You know as well as the rest of us that there's a big
difference between a splash guard and an engine well.

Eisboch

HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 12, 12:59 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
From Docksider Reports:
[...]

Harry, Do you even know what an engine well is?

"HK" wrote in message

My model Parker is available with a "splash board" that would repel
backwash and keep it out of the cockpit. I know of one guy who ordered it
with his boat, on the 21' pilothouse model. He removed it. They're just
not necessary, except, maybe to guys who imagine they boat on Lake LAnier
with imaginary boats.

You have got to be kidding. An otherwise reputable boat manufacturer like
Parker offers a "splash board"?
Why don't they just build it right to begin with?

Splash boards are an apology for poor engineering and design.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message

My model Parker is available with a "splash board" that would repel
backwash and keep it out of the cockpit. I know of one guy who ordered it
with his boat, on the 21' pilothouse model. He removed it. They're just
not necessary, except, maybe to guys who imagine they boat on Lake LAnier
with imaginary boats.

You have got to be kidding. An otherwise reputable boat manufacturer like
Parker offers a "splash board"?
Why don't they just build it right to begin with?

Splash boards are an apology for poor engineering and design.

Eisboch

http://tinyurl.com/a46xd

" JimH" ask wrote in message

You folks really know how to pile it on.

Time to drop it already.............

http://www.eisboch.com/snowmoon.gif

Eisboch

Low transoms again Steve P General 39 August 20th 07 12:43 AM
OT Greek restuarant cited for bad meat. Ted Bell ASA 0 March 16th 07 07:59 PM
Boater cited for presence at a dangerous bar.... [email protected] General 35 June 5th 05 05:01 PM
Small Used Outboards in Tampa Area? Robert Cruising 1 November 5th 04 11:55 PM
cutaway transoms Parallax Cruising 4 April 22nd 04 07:58 PM