Senior Member

Default Why Small Outboards Sink - Low Transoms Cited

On Dec 14, 7:59 am, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:16:57 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:
On Dec 13, 1:23 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
I have to ask, what is a 1600 lb firecracker? If you mean a horse, I
love horses, but I do approach an unknown horse with caution, just so he
can get used to me.

I never cared for horses, I got thrown a couple times when i was a
kid. Once the horse got stung by a bee.

I'd rather take my chance's with an old Ossa 250 , or Bultaco 360. At
least if you get thrown off of them, it's probably your own fault.

When I was in sixth grade, living on my Grandfather's farm, he would take
me with him to visit the local farmers as he did his tax assessor duties.
He even let me drive his Hudson!

One day at a farm I noticed a Shetland pony in the pasture. The owner asked
if I'd like to ride it, which was exactly what I was hoping. So the owner
puts a bridle on the horse and says, "Get on!"

The little horse, with me hanging on and my feet damn near on the ground,
took off at a gallop for the end of the pasture. When it gets there, it
makes a U-turn, still hauling ass, and heads back to the fence where my
grandfather and the farmer are laughing their asses off at me trying to
stay on the damn animal.

Just as it got near the fence, and I'm thinking the little ******* is going
to slow down enough for me to get off, it makes a sharp left. I'm
frantically trying to get back to the middle of the little monster's back,
and look up just in time to see the chicken coop.

Apparently the little ****head horse had done this before, and knew it
could dislodge a passenger this way. The chicken coop door was only about 5
feet high, just high enough to let the horse through as the side of the
coop caught me in the chest and slid me off the ass end of the friggin'
beast! Yeah, Grandpa and the farmer had tears coming down their cheeks.

I've always liked horses, but I've never again trusted Shetland ponies, or
any of those other little *******s.
--
John H

My experience was similar only I was put on a 16+ hand throughbred and
he came back through the field around two corners, through the fence
and into the barn, full gallop right to his stall with me on the back
weighing all of 100 pounds... I had two other real bad experiences
with horses as a child, I am surprised I an not more scared of them
than I am. I actually lose more sleep over mistakes I make that effect
the horses training and routine. I worry that when I get nicked by a
horse (and I know I will) I will be able to stand in and win that war,
not lose a horse..

HK wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:49:59 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:01:29 -0500, HK
wrote:

Reggie likes to "dish it out," but he sure can't take it, eh?
That sounds familiar.

What well known boater first said that?

Nelson, referring to Villeneuve just before Trafalgar.

LOL, yeah but Nelson died and Villeneuve lived. Bad comparision.

Mr. Google.

Harry,
I have read many books on Trafalger,

Sure you did, Reggie. I believe you. Really, I do.

Well now I feel much better, and will sleep well tonight.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

Reggie likes to "dish it out," but he sure can't take it, eh?
That sounds familiar.

What well known boater first said that?

Nelson, referring to Villeneuve just before Trafalgar.

LOL, yeah but Nelson died and Villeneuve lived. Bad comparision.

Mr. Google.

Harry,
I have read many books on Trafalger,

Sure you did, Reggie. I believe you. Really, I do.

Well now I feel much better, and will sleep well tonight.

I believe you, Reggie. Really, I do.

wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:01:29 -0500, HK wrote:

Reggie likes to "dish it out," but he sure can't take it, eh?
That sounds familiar.

What well known boater first said that?

Nelson, referring to Villeneuve just before Trafalgar.

LOL, yeah but Nelson died and Villeneuve lived. Bad comparision.

Well, there is that aspect to consider.
--
John H

"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:29:57 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:44:56 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
[email protected] wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:58:36 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
" JimH" ask
wrote in message
You folks really know how to pile it on.

Time to drop it already.............

http://www.eisboch.com/snowmoon.gif

Eisboch

Whatever.

You just uttered the most famous word in an 8th grade classroom! Did
you
know that?

Whaaaaaaaattttttttevvvverrrrr.

Damn, you're good. You got it perfectly. I hope you had an appropriate
sneer on your face also!
--
John H

Get a room and consummate your 'union'!

Hello Don!

How's everything going? Hope you're having a good day!

Did someone say something offensive to or about you?
--
John H

Well.. for the Christmas Season I'd appreciate it if you'd pucker up to
Waylon's butt in private.
Decent , law abiding folk do read this newsgroup.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:17:17 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:28:03 -0500, " JimH" ask
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:31:34 -0500, HK wrote:

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 13, 9:56 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
harry krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
I will tell you, that unlike you, I didn't feel like I was going
crap in my pants.
If you haven't been scared on occasion while boating in the ocean
then
you either haven't been boating in the ocean, or your actual time
boating in the ocean has been minimal. The only experienced seaman
who
haven't been frightened on occasion by the ocean either are really
stupid or dead.
I don't think I have ever felt like I am going to crap in my pants
for
any reason, on the sea or on land.

Come on up to the barn, I'll hand you a rope with a 1600 pound
firecracker on the other end. If you don't get all tingley inside,
you
won't have to worry cause it would only mean you were already dead

I have to ask, what is a 1600 lb firecracker? If you mean a horse, I
love horses, but I do approach an unknown horse with caution, just so
he
can get used to me.

n the ocean, I have been in gale
force winds, have felt very queasy, and have even been sea sick, but
no,
I have never felt like I am going to crap in my pants. If you think
everyone reacts to stressful situations by being frightened or
feeling
like they are going to crap in their pants, you are incorrect.

However, I have come to a conclusion about these animals. Everyone
says that they can sense fear and if you are afraid, you are screwed.
I disagree even while scared half to death, if you keep your head and
stick to your training the horse will react to that more strongly...
and you can win the war. But you got to stand in there, you gotta'
play hurt or your finished...

Animals can smell fear, and react accordingly. So while you might be
apprehensive, I don't think you are putting out the same pheromones
one
puts out when you are actually afraid.

Everyone is impressed with the bravery "Reggie" exhibits here. So brave,
he won't even tell us what brand, model, and year of boat he allegedly
drives. Now that's bravery.

Harry, you're confusing 'bravery' with 'stupidity'. You want, way too
much,
to know private, personal information about Reggie. Your motives can be
naught but nefarious.

Is that why you post a picture here of the TV you purchased for your wife
as
a Christmas gift?

Are you buying her a couch next Christmas?

Is *what* why? Your response to my question to Harry made no sense
whatsoever, to me. But, I'm pretty slow, so maybe you could help me out
here, please?
--
John H

Whatever.

No.

Whaaattttssssooooeeeevvvvveeerrrr.
--
John H

On Dec 13, 11:16 pm, Tim wrote:
On Dec 13, 1:23 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

I have to ask, what is a 1600 lb firecracker? If you mean a horse, I
love horses, but I do approach an unknown horse with caution, just so he
can get used to me.

I never cared for horses, I got thrown a couple times when i was a
kid. Once the horse got stung by a bee.

I'd rather take my chance's with an old Ossa 250 , or Bultaco 360. At
least if you get thrown off of them, it's probably your own fault.

Same here. Me and horses have an understanding. If they won't bite me,
kick me or try to buck me off, I won't ride them!
HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:15:56 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 6:10 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

. I have seen 18'
Bayliners 50 miles offshore, but the mfg'er would never call them an
offshore boat.
18' bayliner 50 mi. off shore?

Now THAT is taking ones life in their own hands!

I doubt an 18 footer could carry enough fuel to take it out 50 miles and
then back.

Well, let's see. My Key West has a 40 gallon tank. The engine, a Yamaha
150, will get about 5.42 miles per gallon cruising at 3000 rpm. So, 100
miles would consume about 18.4 gallons.

http://tinyurl.com/yoh3ez

Maybe my calculations are way off!

You're going to love the smoothness of that engine from 3500 to 4000
rpm, where I suspect you will find your cruise speed niche.
Senior Member

On Dec 14, 9:54 am, wrote:
On Dec 13, 11:16 pm, Tim wrote:

On Dec 13, 1:23 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

I have to ask, what is a 1600 lb firecracker? If you mean a horse, I
love horses, but I do approach an unknown horse with caution, just so he
can get used to me.

I never cared for horses, I got thrown a couple times when i was a
kid. Once the horse got stung by a bee.

I'd rather take my chance's with an old Ossa 250 , or Bultaco 360. At
least if you get thrown off of them, it's probably your own fault.

Same here. Me and horses have an understanding. If they won't bite me,
kick me or try to buck me off, I won't ride them!

Hummm, that's the same arrangement I have. I don't ride, don't want
to, looks silly to me bouncing around like that, on purpose But my
family loves riding. I have however discussed basic riding training
from my boss, even if it were just to get up on one and straighten
their ass out. I think I would actually feel more comfortable shanking
some mare with a bit from her back rather than with a halter and a
lead rope. Last week was pretty funny though, mrs JW was leading a new
mare and she took off across the arena. It was just like in the
cartoons, wifee with heels dug in, being dragged about 10-15 feet.
Stayed up and got control after a second or two, adreneline, whooo
aaaaa

Low transoms again Steve P General 39 August 20th 07 12:43 AM
OT Greek restuarant cited for bad meat. Ted Bell ASA 0 March 16th 07 07:59 PM
Boater cited for presence at a dangerous bar.... [email protected] General 35 June 5th 05 05:01 PM
Small Used Outboards in Tampa Area? Robert Cruising 1 November 5th 04 11:55 PM
cutaway transoms Parallax Cruising 4 April 22nd 04 07:58 PM