Tim Tim is offline

Default OT a question tot he veterans

OK guys, I'm not really sure on how to go about this. but I do know
that in WW2, my late father recieved the bronze star for "something".
He was in the Phillipines (laiti Islands) 4th army 97th div. Field
Artillary (forward observer) AFWESPAC.

Is there any way though the VA or any outher source that I can find a
citation on his reciving the medal?

Thanks!

Tim

"Tim" wrote in message
OK guys, I'm not really sure on how to go about this. but I do know
that in WW2, my late father recieved the bronze star for "something".
He was in the Phillipines (laiti Islands) 4th army 97th div. Field
Artillary (forward observer) AFWESPAC.

Is there any way though the VA or any outher source that I can find a
citation on his reciving the medal?

Thanks!

Tim

You can start he

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mil...nel/index.html

Eisboch

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:15:09 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

OK guys, I'm not really sure on how to go about this. but I do know
that in WW2, my late father recieved the bronze star for "something".
He was in the Phillipines (laiti Islands) 4th army 97th div. Field
Artillary (forward observer) AFWESPAC.

Is there any way though the VA or any outher source that I can find a
citation on his reciving the medal?

Thanks!

Do you have his Discharge certificate (don't know what they called it
back in the day). If you don't, that's ok - it will just take longer.

If you do, you can request a copy of his service record, but don't go
through the VA - go through the local VFW or Legion group. They have
specific people to do that for you. Might require a small donation,
but usually they do it for free.

Second to last resort, go through your local office of Veterans
Affairs - most states have one and sometimes towns have them.

Last resort - go through the VA. That can sometimes (note the
sometimes) be a long process, but most of the time they are very
accomodating.

You might also want to ask the local recruiter for his branch of the
service for help - oddly, they have some knowledge in this area and
often times can point you in the right direction or can even do some
of the work for you.

If you don't have the Discharge certificate, then his name, town of
origin, birth certificate, branch of service will be sufficient but it
will take time. That route, you really need the help of the VFW or
Legion representative in charge of that process.

Hope that helps.

wrote:

[...]

Forot to say that your local Congressional Representative can also
help in this. Again, it might take time.

Tim Tim is offline

Thanks Tom/ Even though wallet sized I do have a laminated copy of his
DD here in my desk. Print on it seems microscopic, but it's something
to work with as well.

Tim

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom, I do have a laminated wallet sized copy of his DD here in
my desk. I know it can take time, but I'm going to persue it,
because I'd really like to know. Even if I can't find out anything,
that's ok, but still....

wrote:

[...]

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:44:39 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Thanks Tom, I do have a laminated wallet sized copy of his DD here in
my desk. I know it can take time, but I'm going to persue it,
because I'd really like to know. Even if I can't find out anything,
that's ok, but still....

You can get the award citation very easily in any case - it's part of
his historical record.

I know a few people here and there if you get stuck on something and
need the help.

Try it and let me know - you have my number.

wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:39:58 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Thanks Tom/ Even though wallet sized I do have a laminated copy of his
DD here in my desk. Print on it seems microscopic, but it's something
to work with as well.

I started the process on the web page and it looks like all you will
get is the DD214. I suppose there may be another level but that was
what the online request seemed to end at.
Decorations are listed on your DD214 but not the whole citation.
I know my "medal" was just for keeping the godless communists south of
the Wilson Bridge but I did "defend the nation in time of war".

I never put the "Shirley Highway" ribbon on my uniform. I thought it
was silly

If you go to the URL below and follow the directions, you can request
virtually all records, including decorations and awards. (I think it's in
step 2).

If you are not actually the veteran whose records you are requesting,
there's another form you have to fill out.

After you answer all the questions, you print out a signature page that you
have to fax or mail.
The form will have a "request" number that is already in the system, so they
know what you are asking for.

Here's the URL:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

Eisboch

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 03:03:31 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Wow - that's different than it used to be.

Thanks for the info.