Tim Tim is offline

Default Speaking of boats for the middle class.

I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or average length of
ownership is for boats?

Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or average length of
ownership is for boats?

MY GUESS is first time boat buyers either trade up or to a different
model or get out of boating very quickly. I have purchased 3 used and 2
new boats. I believe used is a much better way to do it. Let someone
else take the 20% hit. New boat smell just isn't worth that much.

On Nov 28, 8:47�am, Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or �average length of
ownership is for boats?

Small boats probably turn over pretty quickly. Two-foot-itis is more
prevalent in boats under 30 feet or so than with larger models.

That said, I've had my boat since the early 90's and among our circle
of friends we are the only couple who haven't traded boats at least
once and more commonly twice during that same time frame- and most of
the people we know from the club,etc, have 30-50 foot boats. So they
do turn over, but nowhere nearly as rapidly as people churn through a
succession of cars or trucks.

On Wed, 28 Nov 07, Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat.

I guess a stats guy would call me an outlier. And I can't really
recall the number of boats I've bought and sold over the years. But I
don't think I've kept one less than about 5 years. And, among others,
I still have a 19' outboard I bought new (factory ordered in fact) in
1971 and a 6hp Evinrude my dad bought in 1968 (I inherited).

Rick
Tim Tim is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:

Small boats probably turn over pretty quickly. Two-foot-itis is more
prevalent in boats under 30 feet or so than with larger models.

I'd say thats right, Chuck. I bought my 83 Chriscraft 169 because the
boat was in well maintained shape and the price was right. when I took
it out the next eyar I found out it was a bit cramped for my wife,
daughter and myself. Oh it's a fun little boat, and I still enjoy
taking it out occasionally, especially for a quick trip out to the
local smaller lakes, but because of it's smaller deminsions,
that'swhen I decided to move up to the 23' Marquis Cuddie. It's a lot
more boat, and still well maintained and was priced very reasonable.
But it uses a lot more fuel. Room and ride is still a decent trade off
for the economy, though. But I'd really like to get up to a 27+ footer
again, but then again trailerability becomes a problem for cruisers,
plus at this stage the fuel expenses are prohibitive.

But yes, I think that most people start out small then for reasons
I've stated will move up to larger rather quickly.

Tim Tim is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

MY GUESS is first time boat buyers either trade up or to a different
model or get out of boating very quickly. I have purchased 3 used and 2
new boats. I believe used is a much better way to do it. Let someone
else take the 20% hit. New boat smell just isn't worth that much.

Yes, I would think that for middle classers that the used market would
be a better value.

20% hit? I would think that the spread would be greater than that, but
then again, I really don't know. I haven't priced brand new, and
compared with a year or two older models

"Tim" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:

[...]

The previous boat I bought new. But was a 14' aluminum boat and I wanted a
deep transom model, so ordered it new. Was about $2100 out the door with a
new Mariner 15 hp longshaft. 1986. The boat I have now was 4 years old
when I bought it in 1995. Is also aluminum, but was $26k in 1991. Have no
plans to trade this one. Did replace the engine 2 years ago. Previous
boats were used also.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:47:44 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

Good question.

For me, I average about, roughly off the top of my head, 6 years on a
boat. The longest I've owned one is my Ranger CC - that's going on 8
years this Spring and will probably be the one that I will keep until
I don't need a boat anymore.

The Princecraft I had for two and a half years before I sold it to Don
is the shortest.

I suspect that Chuck is right on this one - for folks under 30 feet,
it's often a case of two foot bigger disease. Over that, it's a
different ball game - if they trade up, it's usually for something 10
or more feet bigger, but they tend to stay in their boats longer than
10 years at a time.

I was reading a while back that folks in the mega yacht world usually
have them for a purpose - as in to travel around the world or use them
as a floating condiminium for a specific purpose, then sell them. Once
they have achieved their purpose, that's it - sold.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

I average three to four years, max. I downsized my fishing boat the last
go-around, and I'm glad I did. For me, it's the perfect size for
fishing the bay, quick cleanup and ease of launching and retrieval.

wrote:

[...]

Ya'll are forgetting the 3 or 4 feet smaller crowd!
--
John H