BoatBanter.com

-   -   Speaking of boats for the middle class. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/88504-speaking-boats-middle-class.html)

Tim November 28th 07 04:47 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or average length of
ownership is for boats?

Reginald P. Smithers III November 28th 07 05:01 PM

Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or average length of
ownership is for boats?

MY GUESS is first time boat buyers either trade up or to a different
model or get out of boating very quickly. I have purchased 3 used and 2
new boats. I believe used is a much better way to do it. Let someone
else take the 20% hit. New boat smell just isn't worth that much.

Chuck Gould November 28th 07 05:15 PM

On Nov 28, 8:47�am, Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or �average length of
ownership is for boats?

Small boats probably turn over pretty quickly. Two-foot-itis is more
prevalent in boats under 30 feet or so than with larger models.

That said, I've had my boat since the early 90's and among our circle
of friends we are the only couple who haven't traded boats at least
once and more commonly twice during that same time frame- and most of
the people we know from the club,etc, have 30-50 foot boats. So they
do turn over, but nowhere nearly as rapidly as people churn through a
succession of cars or trucks.

[email protected] November 28th 07 05:21 PM

On Wed, 28 Nov 07, Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat.

I guess a stats guy would call me an outlier. And I can't really
recall the number of boats I've bought and sold over the years. But I
don't think I've kept one less than about 5 years. And, among others,
I still have a 19' outboard I bought new (factory ordered in fact) in
1971 and a 6hp Evinrude my dad bought in 1968 (I inherited).

Rick

Tim November 28th 07 05:46 PM

Chuck Gould wrote:

Small boats probably turn over pretty quickly. Two-foot-itis is more
prevalent in boats under 30 feet or so than with larger models.

I'd say thats right, Chuck. I bought my 83 Chriscraft 169 because the
boat was in well maintained shape and the price was right. when I took
it out the next eyar I found out it was a bit cramped for my wife,
daughter and myself. Oh it's a fun little boat, and I still enjoy
taking it out occasionally, especially for a quick trip out to the
local smaller lakes, but because of it's smaller deminsions,
that'swhen I decided to move up to the 23' Marquis Cuddie. It's a lot
more boat, and still well maintained and was priced very reasonable.
But it uses a lot more fuel. Room and ride is still a decent trade off
for the economy, though. But I'd really like to get up to a 27+ footer
again, but then again trailerability becomes a problem for cruisers,
plus at this stage the fuel expenses are prohibitive.

But yes, I think that most people start out small then for reasons
I've stated will move up to larger rather quickly.

Tim November 28th 07 05:50 PM

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

MY GUESS is first time boat buyers either trade up or to a different
model or get out of boating very quickly. I have purchased 3 used and 2
new boats. I believe used is a much better way to do it. Let someone
else take the 20% hit. New boat smell just isn't worth that much.

Yes, I would think that for middle classers that the used market would
be a better value.

20% hit? I would think that the spread would be greater than that, but
then again, I really don't know. I haven't priced brand new, and
compared with a year or two older models

Calif Bill November 28th 07 07:11 PM

"Tim" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:

[...]

The previous boat I bought new. But was a 14' aluminum boat and I wanted a
deep transom model, so ordered it new. Was about $2100 out the door with a
new Mariner 15 hp longshaft. 1986. The boat I have now was 4 years old
when I bought it in 1995. Is also aluminum, but was $26k in 1991. Have no
plans to trade this one. Did replace the engine 2 years ago. Previous
boats were used also.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 28th 07 07:52 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:47:44 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

Good question.

For me, I average about, roughly off the top of my head, 6 years on a
boat. The longest I've owned one is my Ranger CC - that's going on 8
years this Spring and will probably be the one that I will keep until
I don't need a boat anymore.

The Princecraft I had for two and a half years before I sold it to Don
is the shortest.

I suspect that Chuck is right on this one - for folks under 30 feet,
it's often a case of two foot bigger disease. Over that, it's a
different ball game - if they trade up, it's usually for something 10
or more feet bigger, but they tend to stay in their boats longer than
10 years at a time.

I was reading a while back that folks in the mega yacht world usually
have them for a purpose - as in to travel around the world or use them
as a floating condiminium for a specific purpose, then sell them. Once
they have achieved their purpose, that's it - sold.

HK November 28th 07 08:01 PM

wrote:

[...]

I average three to four years, max. I downsized my fishing boat the last
go-around, and I'm glad I did. For me, it's the perfect size for
fishing the bay, quick cleanup and ease of launching and retrieval.

John H. November 28th 07 08:44 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

wrote:

[...]

Ya'll are forgetting the 3 or 4 feet smaller crowd!
--
John H

Dave Hall November 28th 07 10:25 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:15:23 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:47?am, Tim wrote:
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or ?average length of
ownership is for boats?

I can only give the experience of my family:

Dad:
1. Bought a 16 ft aluminium boat in early 1960s with an evinrude
electric shift outboard.

2. Replaced that in 1972 with a Glastron 18 ft. tri-hull with 6 cyl.
Mercruiser IO. (10 to 12 years?)

3. Sold Glastron to my brother and bought a Crown 20 ft bowrider with
8 Cyl. Mercruiser in about 1983. (11 years)

4. Somewhere in there while not getting rid of the above he also owned
a small cabin cruiser for a few years - probably around 1976 to about
1980. (3 to 4 years?)

5. He also owned a pontoon boat with a 75 HP outboard from about 1980
to 1988. (7 to 8 years)

6. He gave the Crown to my sister when he became to ill to use it in
1993. (10 years)

Brother:
1. Bought the 1972 Glastron from dad in 1982. Sold it last year.
Hasn't replaced it yet. (24 years. In the family for 34 years)

Sister 1:
1. Was given the Crown in 1993. Still owns it and it is still very
pretty and runs well and she wouldn't part with it. (14 years. In the
family for 24 years)

Sister 2:
1. Bought a small Glastron bowrider with outboard in late 1980s to
early 1990s.

2. Sold Glastron and bought a 18 foot Crownline bowrider with 6 cyl.
Mercruiser IO in 2000. (10 years or so for the Glastron) (7 years so
far for the Crownline)

Me:
1. Bought a 18 ft. 1990 cuddy cabin with an OMC IO in August 2004. It
was washed down the Allegheny and Ohio river in September of that
year. I had used it 3 short times. It was totaled after fining its
way about 80 miles and over 4 locks before being washed up on some
wooded shore just up from Wheeling WV. (1.5 months ;-0)

2. Bought a 1995 Sea Pro Citation 1900 cuddy cabin with a small
Mercruiser IO in the fall of 2004 and still have it. (3 years so far)

All in all not a lot of buying and selling or trading up in my family
and in my local experience that is the norm around here. Might be
different in coastal areas or in areas where a lot of the local
economy is water recreation based (i.e. big lake areas, etc.).

Dave Hall
(Forgot that I bought a 12 ft jonboat with 5 hp Wards outboard in 1969
and still own it - 38 years)

[email protected] November 28th 07 11:20 PM

On Wed, 28 Nov 07, John H wrote:
Ya'll are forgetting the 3 or 4 feet smaller crowd!

Good point!
Over the years, I've been up and down and in between.
42' is the largest boat I've owned, for about 15 years. Normal
maintenance was time consuming enough but hurricane season is a real
bitch. It takes 6 hours to motor a sailboat around back to my
hurricane hole (and that much again to bring it back later). One year
we had 5 hurricane scares. That's a bit too much time to take off for
someone who has to work for a living. And you can't schedule that time
off ahead of time either. You just drop everything and go. So I sold
the boat and decided trailerable boats would be the way to go for now.
Once I retire and have time to burn, I'll be shopping for my ol'
Creekmore 42' again or one similar to it ;-)

Rick

HK November 28th 07 11:31 PM

JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
I was wondering if there are any stats on how long people actually
keep their boat. Like if they buy a new runabout or cuddie etc. how
long do they actually keep it, before selling it or trading it in for
a new model.

some people keep cars a year then trade for new, others buy new and
run the wheels off it.

I've never bought a brand new boat in my life and really don't plan on
it. My two boats are 1983 and 1977. Both in very good shape and will
be keeping them for quite a while.

Does anyone know what is the average trade off or average length of
ownership is for boats?

I would guess I change boats every 5-7 years. I have only purchased 1 new
boat and that was only because the dealership was going out of business and
I got a great deal on it.

My 20 foot runabout is being gifted to my son when he is actually able to
take ownership and advantage of using it. I received a call from the marina
today that the outdrive maintenance has been completed and the boat is ready
to be picked up. They found some additional problems with the OD.....which
they repaired. We are picking it up over the weekend to be shrink wrapped
and winter stored at another site (cheaper).

Having never owned a boat with an I/O, my info is obtained vicariously.
From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, it seems to be
that these drives are nothing but continuing maintenance and trouble.
Yet the technology in them, really, is many decades old. Do you think
they'd be less problematical if their manufacturers concentrated on
improving the quality of the parts they contain and worried less about
new and sometimes dubious features?

[email protected] November 28th 07 11:46 PM

On Wed, 28 Nov 07, HK wrote:
Do you think
they'd be less problematical if their manufacturers concentrated on
improving the quality of the parts they contain and worried less about
new and sometimes dubious features?

I've owned both OMC and Mercruiser sterndrives and I think parts
quality is fine in both. And I think the general idea of sterndrive is
good. But whoever came up with the original design just wasn't
thinking. For instance, why pump water up through the outdrive and
through the transom? An inboard pumps it up through the bottom, a
sterndrive could do the same. There's a couple of other design problem
too but basically they made the whole thing to complex when it didn't
really have to be.

Rick

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 12:11 AM

HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, it seems to be
that these drives are nothing but continuing maintenance and trouble.
Yet the technology in them, really, is many decades old. Do you think
they'd be less problematical if their manufacturers concentrated on
improving the quality of the parts they contain and worried less about
new and sometimes dubious features?

Those who keep their boat in salt water have more problems with I/O.

I have never had any problem with any of the drives on my boats, either
O/B or I/O.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 12:12 AM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, it seems to be
that these drives are nothing but continuing maintenance and trouble. Yet
the technology in them, really, is many decades old. Do you think they'd
be less problematical if their manufacturers concentrated on improving the
quality of the parts they contain and worried less about new and sometimes
dubious features?

Regarding mechanical problems, I have not had any significant problems with
the outdrives on my boats.

Having said that...........I will never purchase another boat with an
outdrive as the upkeep is more demanding than an outboard.

Except for the boot on the OD, what additional upkeep do you have?

HK November 29th 07 12:33 AM

HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

vicariously. From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years,
it seems to be that these drives are nothing but continuing
maintenance and trouble. Yet the technology in them, really, is many
decades old. Do you think they'd be less problematical if their
manufacturers concentrated on improving the quality of the parts they
contain and worried less about new and sometimes dubious features?

Those who keep their boat in salt water have more problems with I/O.

I have never had any problem with any of the drives on my boats, either
O/B or I/O.

*snicker*

Yeah, well, since the only boats you have are bathtub toys...

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 12:48 AM

HK wrote:

I have never had any problem with any of the drives on my boats,
either O/B or I/O.

*snicker*

Yeah, well, since the only boats you have are bathtub toys...

Harry,
You better get your act together and stop these personal attacks or JimH
will get all over you.

HK November 29th 07 12:55 AM

HK wrote:

I have never had any problem with any of the drives on my boats,
either O/B or I/O.

*snicker*

Yeah, well, since the only boats you have are bathtub toys...

Harry,
You better get your act together and stop these personal attacks or JimH
will get all over you.

(Putting on my best Herring-Smithers suit of false innocence...)

What attacks?

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 01:28 AM

HK wrote:

I have never had any problem with any of the drives on my boats,
either O/B or I/O.

*snicker*

Yeah, well, since the only boats you have are bathtub toys...

Harry,
You better get your act together and stop these personal attacks or
JimH will get all over you.

(Putting on my best Herring-Smithers suit of false innocence...)

What attacks?

Oh, so you really aren't innocent and have been stirring up trouble all
day. Good, the first step is to admit your problem.

John H. November 29th 07 01:50 AM

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:25:12 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

That's really great that you're going to give it to your son. Are you going
to pay the storage fees for him also. That would be a super gift!
--
John H

JR North November 29th 07 03:10 AM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

I bought my MaXum 2500 new in 1990. First boat. Only 'new' conveyance
I've ever bought. I bought the biggest boat I could put on a trailer
without getting totally ridiculous, so I wouldn't have to trade up soon,
and knew when I bought it I would be happy with it for years. 17 years,
and still satisfied with what I have. Just perfect for the Sound and San
Juans. No 2-foot-itis here, and, no slip fees.
JR

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 04:09 AM

WaIIy wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:41:34 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Regarding mechanical problems, I have not had any significant problems with
the outdrives on my boats.

Having said that...........I will never purchase another boat with an
outdrive as the upkeep is more demanding than an outboard.

That's why you need a Volvo I/O.

I really can't figure out what is the additional upkeep or why a Volvo
would have less than a Merc.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 01:00 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, it seems to be
that these drives are nothing but continuing maintenance and trouble.
Yet the technology in them, really, is many decades old. Do you think
they'd be less problematical if their manufacturers concentrated on
improving the quality of the parts they contain and worried less about
new and sometimes dubious features?

Regarding mechanical problems, I have not had any significant problems
with the outdrives on my boats.

Having said that...........I will never purchase another boat with an
outdrive as the upkeep is more demanding than an outboard.

Except for the boot on the OD, what additional upkeep do you have?

I thought you may know this but here goes anyway: The I/O stays submerged
during the entire season. An outboard is in the water only when it is being
used as it can be raised out of the water when docked. As a result the
anodes need replacing more often and most significantly the lower unit on
the I/O takes a beating. It also takes on a significant amount of marine
growth with can result in reduced performance.

Personally I clean the I/O whenever the water is warm enough to jump in.
It is amazing the amount of marine growth that reoccurs within only a few
weeks if not attended to.

I have never had a problem with algea growth because I use Outdrive
Anti-Fouling paint. It really makes a hell of a difference and is cheap
and easy to do yourself. I look at the zincs every month or so, but I
am lucky because my marina does not seem to have a stray current leak,
because they barely look used when I replace them every 3 years. The
first year, I thought this meant my zincs were not working, but I was
assured they are working correctly. I was told if they weren't i would
see pitting on the drive itself, which I don't. Since they are so
cheap, I replace the zincs when i have the marina pulls the outdrive to
do a complete service on the outdrive.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 01:01 PM

WaIIy wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:41:34 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Regarding mechanical problems, I have not had any significant problems
with the outdrives on my boats.

Having said that...........I will never purchase another boat with an
outdrive as the upkeep is more demanding than an outboard.
That's why you need a Volvo I/O.

I really can't figure out what is the additional upkeep or why a Volvo
would have less than a Merc.

One less boot.

BTW: I do have a Volvo. ;-)

So do I, a DuoProp. I think they are great, but I never thought of them
as demanding less service than a Merc.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 01:02 PM

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Reading comprehension problems John?

JimH,
What service did you need to do on your oudrive?

HK November 29th 07 01:22 PM

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

You seem to have the perfect boat that never has any sort of problems Reg.
;-)

Even with an anti-fouling paint you will get algae growth.

BTW: One additional maintenance item with I/O's........alignments.

Inboards or outboards are the only way to go.

When all you have is an imaginary boat, like Reggie has, you never have
mechanical problems.

Serious question. I have no ownership experience with these modern, car
or truck gas engines in boats. What RPMS do you typically run them at?
My SUV V8 loafs along at 2000 rpm or so at highway speeds, but you have
to be running at what, twice that, in an I/O planing boat. What steps
are taken to build up these engines to take that sort of constant high
rpm stress?

HK November 29th 07 01:35 PM

JimH wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Anywhere from 3600 to 4600 rpm. I believe WOT for mine is close to 5100
rpm.

Well, that's not much different than how I run my Yamaha 150, though I
am usually closer to 4000 rpm at the upper end, because of the almost
constant hard chop hereabouts. WOT for me is 6000 rpm.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 01:49 PM

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
message . ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

It depends upon the boat, but 3200-3500 has always kept my boats on
plane. You are correct, I really have been lucky, and have never had a
major problem, but I do keep up with the mfg'er recommended schedule.

Do you have many mechanical problems with your boats?

HK November 29th 07 01:56 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

Do you have many mechanical problems with your boats?

Not really, since I sell them off after three to four years.

Reginald P. Smithers III November 29th 07 02:26 PM

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
message . ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Who was talking abut *major* problems Reg? Even if you keep up with PM you
can still encounter problems.

It is great to know that you never have any.

I didn't say I never had problems, I said I never had a major problem
that would make me want to pay the additional initial cost of an OB. If
I kept my boat in salt water, that would be a completely different
story, but in fresh water it would take one hell of lot of MAJOR
problems to change to an OB based upon additional maintenance or
additional upkeep. I have never had a problem with algea or problems
with my zinc being depleted, so that has never been a concern.

Tim November 29th 07 03:17 PM

HK wrote:

Serious question. I have no ownership experience with these modern, car
or truck gas engines in boats. What RPMS do you typically run them at?
My SUV V8 loafs along at 2000 rpm or so at highway speeds, but you have
to be running at what, twice that, in an I/O planing boat. What steps
are taken to build up these engines to take that sort of constant high
rpm stress?

Basicly there's not much difference between the automotive and the
marine versions of the engines. With exception that the I/O people
will select the heavier built engines that are used in pickup trucks
(thicker block webbing and 4 bolt main bering caps, Steel crank
shafts) but outside of that not much. Oh, the marine versions use a
different cam shaft than automotive and thats only to put the maximum
torque in a more suitable rpm range.

I run my 3.0 GM 4-cyl. at about 3300 RPM and the 350 GM v-8 at about
the same rate. Get up on plane than back it down to maintain the
plane. I don't run wide open. except to get out of the hole. But
both engines are capable of pulling 4000 rpm safely and sustained

[email protected] November 29th 07 04:35 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

On Nov 29, 7:34 am, " JimH" ask wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in messagenews:uYmdndhRPb57ntPanZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@comca st.com...

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, it seems to be
[...]

weeks if not attended to.- Hide quoted text -

This from the guy that can't even fix his own boat!

[email protected] November 29th 07 05:22 PM

On Thu, 29 Nov 07, HK wrote:
What steps
are taken to build up these engines to take that sort of constant high
rpm stress?

Install brass freeze plugs and you're done.
I had an OMC once. I bought a short block (chevy) from an auto parts
store, they replaced the freeze plugs (they sell a LOT to nautical
types), and as far as I know, that engine is still pushing that boat.
I sold it maybe 15 years ago.
From my experience, it's the drive trains that give most of the
problems. Not the engines.

Rick

Tim November 29th 07 06:08 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

From my experience, it's the drive trains that give most of the
problems. Not the engines.

Rick

I didn't have any problems with my alph1 on the boat with the 3.0,
that is, until I hit a stump.

The stainless steel prop hub didn't break loose either.

Now on my 350 v8 the alpha (228) is having a shift problem, but it
could be an adjustment issue. But not sure yet.

Anyhow, on the Mercruisers, I would suppose due to popularity, they're
are quality after market parts on the market, so even if a person had
to replace the whole leg, it's still not a real kick in the wallet.

Of course, thats hypothetical ?;

[email protected] November 29th 07 07:23 PM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

Phantman:
From my experience, it's the drive trains that give most of the
problems. Not the engines.

On Thu, 29 Nov 07, Tim wrote:
I didn't have any problems with my alph1 on the boat with the 3.0,
that is, until I hit a stump.

I've had only one pair (twins) of Mercruisers and I can't recall
specifically now what all went wrong (although I prolly still have the
file here somewhere). But it just seems there was always some seal or
boot or some such going bad which allowed salt water where it wasn't
supposed to be and that's when things would go to hell in a hand
basket. These were 4 cyl engines, 120hp each if I recall. They got
great mileage. But when those drive units aged, it was always
something.

Anyhow, on the Mercruisers, I would suppose due to popularity, they're
are quality after market parts on the market, so even if a person had
to replace the whole leg, it's still not a real kick in the wallet.

Yup. Point well taken.

Rick

Dan December 1st 07 01:46 AM

HK wrote:

When all you have is an imaginary boat, like Reggie has, you never have
mechanical problems.

How can *you* accuse someone of owning an imaginary boat?

I'd love to hear your spin on this one.

Wayne.B December 1st 07 02:19 AM

Speaking of boats for the middle class.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:50:08 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

20% hit? I would think that the spread would be greater than that, but
then again, I really don't know. I haven't priced brand new, and
compared with a year or two older models

Depends on the boat and how old it is. 20% after the first year or
two is probably in the ballpark. After 5 to 7 years it's closer to
50% for all but the highest quality.

HK December 1st 07 03:50 AM

wrote:

20% hit? I would think that the spread would be greater than that, but
then again, I really don't know. I haven't priced brand new, and
compared with a year or two older models

Depends on the boat and how old it is. 20% after the first year or
two is probably in the ballpark. After 5 to 7 years it's closer to
50% for all but the highest quality.

Depends on the boat, the demand for the boat, and its condition.

I sold my 2003 Parker 25' rig in 2007 for only 10% less than I paid for
it. No broker, either. I wasn't hurt by the fact that between 2003 and
2007, Parker raised its price for the same model boat by nearly $20,000.

John H. December 1st 07 10:18 PM

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Harry, my Mercruiser 5.7L enjoyed being run at about 3300rpm. It would stay
on plane from about 2500 on up, depending on sea state. These engines would
require a rebuild or replacement after about 1000hrs (from what I've been
told). The advantage is that they're pretty cheap compared to outboard
engines.
--
John H