Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default The demise of a great boat...

Mrs. Wave and I traveled over to the new Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro
today at Patriot's Place.

Anyway, I was walking around while Mrs. Wave was purchasing her sale
goodies. Got a really close look at a Mako 26 CC and almost cried.

There wasn't a straight line on the boat. Run your hand along the
gunwale and all you felt were bumps. Look down the chine and you
could see where they filled in areas. The gel coat was awful - you
could see little swirls and obvious after the fact repairs.

Inside the boat, the same thing - look down the freeboard and there
wasn't a perfectly flat surface the entire length - you could actually
see the imperfections. Ran my hand down the side and you could feel
it. The rub rails were not correctly installed - you could see where
the screws holding the rail on were either incompletely installed or
at an angle - you could feel it. The T-Top had gaps between the
structure and the console - you could grab the top and actually shake
it indicating thin wall tubing. I looked inside the console and there
was wiring everywhere - the bundles weren't organized in any sense of
the word and generally left hanging.

It appeared endemic to the other Makos including the smaller bay boats
- all had blemished in the gel coat, straight lines seemed nonexistant
and the workmanship just gave the impression of being - well,
incomplete to be polite.

It kind of bummed me out. Compared to the Nitro bass boats that is.

Which is a whole 'nother story. Talk about cheaply built.

Anyway...

It's a great experience by the way - I really like the way the store
is set up. I'd like to spend some more time but it was really crowded
and I hate crowds. Didn't stop me from making some purchases though -
got a couple of new heavy boat rods (can't make them for that money)
and they have a great fly/do-it-yourself section.

Demise of a TrawlerRV? HK General 114 October 17th 07 01:12 AM
Another Great Day on an Imaginary Boat Reginald P. Smithers III General 31 September 19th 07 12:04 PM
my website demise William R. Watt Boat Building 3 October 31st 05 07:05 PM
OT-Ebbers blames union for demise of MCI John Cairns ASA 2 March 17th 05 03:54 AM
FS: Catalina 36 in NY, Great Boat! Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 13th 04 04:47 PM