Default PWC Winter Battery - How To Make It Last Until Next Summer

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:26:17 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I'm wondering how long it will be before the old "concrete floor"
thing comes up....

5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1... :)

wrote:

I'm wondering how long it will be before the old "concrete floor"
thing comes up....

5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1... :)

Geeze. I put that issue to bed years ago.

I tiled my garage concrete floor.

Eisboch

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Reginald Smithers III" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 17, 2:41 pm, " JimH" ask wrote:
I have never had a problem just disconnecting the batteries on my
boat
(fully charged) and leaving them in place during the winter lay-up.
I have bought 4 batteries in 4 years now.

The battery will not be strong enough to start the PWC (even when the
battery charge ways the battery is full).
What did you previously do with the battery over the winter lay-up?
Batteries will self discharge over the winter, especially in colder
areas. A discharged battery will have definitely have a shortened life.

When I had a trailered boat, I was told to bring the battery home to
keep it in the basement and keep a trickle charger on it. Many people
who don't want to bring the battery home, will use a solar panel trickle
charger to keep the battery fully charged.
As I said before, I never had a problem with this technique. Besides, as
you know, you are the last person I would take any sort of advice from.

Wow. "Reggie" claims to have had a "trailered boat." Right.

He gets confused at times. He once said he had a bubble boat and recently
claimed to own a houseboat. When you lie it is easy to get caught up in
them.

Dennis, Please show me a post where I said I owned a houseboat?

JimH wrote:
"Reginald Smithers III" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Which of your 2+ dozen handles should I search Jim Gallow?

Dennis,
You said I just recently said this, so it really should be easy for you
to find.

On Nov 17, 3:32 pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 17, 2:41 pm, " JimH" ask wrote:
I have never had a problem just disconnecting the batteries on my boat
(fully charged) and leaving them in place during the winter lay-up.

I have bought 4 batteries in 4 years now.

The battery will not be strong enough to start the PWC (even when the
battery charge ways the battery is full).

What did you previously do with the battery over the winter lay-up?

One year, I left it disconnected inside the PWC, Last years it sat on
the basement floor. I suspected the first battery charger didn't
work, so I replaced it, sat all winter on the charger, still ruined
it.

What kind of batteries are you buying, what are you paying for them, and
where are you buying them?

I bought the battery at a "Batteries Unlimited" store. The battery
type is "Xtreme Permaseal High Performance AGM Jet Ski, Powersport
Battery - XTA16CL-B-BS"

It cost about $70.00

Here is the link:
http://www.batteriesplus.com/pc-3274...16CL-B-BS.aspx

The salesmen stated that it's a gel, 12-month warranty (just in time
for it to die before next summer)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:13:38 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

It is my understanding that a battery needs "exercised". Long periods
of non-usage (over the fall/winter/spring months) will result in the
battery loosing its charge and not be able to accept a charge.

With that said, is it possible that if I wired my battery (in
parallel) to my Ford truck battery, will it be "exercised" and be
ready for another full year of boating, or will it damage the PWC
battery?

I'm trying to avoid the cost of trading in the old battery and
purchasing a new battery each summer.

First, I would suggest that something is wrong with the charging
system in the PWC if you are having to replace batteries every year.

Secondly, wiring it to the truck in parallel wouldn't be a good idea
for a variety of reasons including over charge, unequal charge, etc.

Third, get a "floating" charger rather than a constant "trickle"
charger. The floating charger will turn itself on and off as the
battery requires over winter. You don't really need to remove it from
the PWC - just unconnect it from the PWC (leave it in), hook the
charger to it and plug it in. Unless, of course, that isn't
convenient - in that case just remove it, put it somewhere you can
plug in the charger and let it sit over winter.

I use three floater units on my Ranger over winter and haven't had a
failure yet.

Unless you count the time I left the key and radio on, but that was
Scott's fault. :)

I think PWC's are similar to race cars. They beat the battery apart. When
I raced the Vette, I had a lifetime Sears Diehard. Had a quite a few of
them given to me.

wrote in message
It is my understanding that a battery needs "exercised". Long periods
of non-usage (over the fall/winter/spring months) will result in the
battery loosing its charge and not be able to accept a charge.

With that said, is it possible that if I wired my battery (in
parallel) to my Ford truck battery, will it be "exercised" and be
ready for another full year of boating, or will it damage the PWC
battery?

I'm trying to avoid the cost of trading in the old battery and
purchasing a new battery each summer.

Thanks in advanced,

Dizouglas

Where the **** did you get the idea that you needed to buy a new battery
each summer, you silly troll?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:28:43 -0800, "Calif Bill"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

That's a good point - I didn't think of that.

Although I beat the snot out of my four wheeler running around my
woods and haven't replaced the battery in three years.

I don't think it's the pwc. I've had similar problems with all my small wet
cell batterys. They just don't hold up as well to sitting all winter. They
are often dead the next spring and sulfated enough to not hold a decent
charge. Charging them in the vehicle would probably work just as well but
it's way easier to do it with them out and all together in one place.

wrote:

[...]

Do they still make panel mount battery selector switches? Roger Long Cruising 7 March 13th 07 02:36 AM
Winter battery removal [email protected] Cruising 21 November 19th 05 03:44 PM
Battery info pages - Battery University website dg Cruising 0 February 26th 04 04:59 PM
Winter vs Summer Drew Cutter Touring 41 February 24th 04 10:35 PM
Auxially battery with isolator and solar battery maintainer [email protected] General 26 December 8th 03 06:10 AM