Default Do they still make panel mount battery selector switches?

It's the little things that get you. The battery switch in my E32 is located
where it used to serve double duty as a companionway step. I eliminated the
second function by building a spray and foot shield to go over the
electrical panel.

I turned the switch today and the knob fell off. The flat on the end of the
shaft was weakened by all those years of being bent and straightened and
just broke off. No clear way to fix it.

The problem now is that all new battery switches seem to be surface mount
and I would have to do major surgery on the panel and spray cover to install
one. Does anyone know of a 1 - 2- Both - Off battery switch that mounts
behind a panel with just a shaft sticking through for a removable knob? Four
mounting holes on 3 inch centers would be the icing on the cake.

This would be a replacement for the original switch on a 1980 Endeavor 32.

Please don't bother suggesting relocating the switch or similar solutions. I
can figure those out for myself. I'd like to keep the original panel
appearance and not get into rerouting a lot of heavy wiring this spring.

--
Roger Long

Something like this http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/2?

-- Tom.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Avail yourself of this opportunity to do it right. Many boat builders
install the selector switch wrong. They affix the whole thing on the
surface of the panel with four screws or bolts. Don't do it that way.
Instead do it right. Buy a new switch and notice how there is a round
boss upon which is written, OFF, ON, Both, OFF.
Get a hole saw the same size as this round. Cut a hole in the panel and
affix the switch from the rear of the panel so only the round fits
snugly to the hole you cut. This way the ugly, unfinished rear part is
hidden. You can use the existing bolt or screw holes if you find a
switch from Perko if it was a Perko to begin with.

It's high time people took pride in their boats and did things the right
way for once. I'm sick and tired of sloppy sailors and sloppy boats with
shoddy workmanship.

Wilbur Hubbard

krj krj is offline

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

This from someone who patched a broken boom with a piece of pipe.

Thanks, I saw that one and it may be my best option.

Here's the problem:

Picture of existing switch: http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bswitch.jpg

After I make the cut out for the knob, I'll have half the lettering still
visible on the panel. I can fill it with black filler but it will never be
a good match. I'm also pretty reluctant to take a hole saw to the formica
panel in place which would mean disconnecting all wth wiring and taking the
whole panel apart.to get it on a bench where I can set it up properly to be
sure I don't chip or crack it beyond repair.

Due to the spray shield, I don't have enough clearance to go with the
intermediate mounting option.

--
Roger Long

In article ,
krj wrote:
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

most bs deleted

It's high time people took pride in their boats and did things the right
way for once. I'm sick and tired of sloppy sailors and sloppy boats with
shoddy workmanship.

Wilbur Hubbard

This from someone who patched a broken boom with a piece of pipe.

The purple cushions made up for the oversight.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Could you get a white on black sticky back vinyl sign from your local
sign and banner shoppe and past it over the existing runes or would
that be too tacky?

-- Tom.

Things I learned about my new battery charger; Chuck Gould General 1 January 3rd 07 02:23 PM
Remarkable device extends battery life and reinvigorates some "dead" batteries [email protected] General 6 March 29th 06 11:25 AM
12v supply from a 24v system Nigel Electronics 140 April 22nd 05 07:15 PM
Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM