Drew Cutter

Default Winter vs Summer

How much difference is there between winter and summer gear for sea
kayaking - camping . Plan to do some winter camping.

Brian Nystrom

Drew Cutter wrote:
How much difference is there between winter and summer gear for sea
kayaking - camping . Plan to do some winter camping.

It depends on where you live. In Florida, there's probably not much
difference. Up here in New England, it's huge.

Drew Cutter

I live in the great lake area. The sleeping bag concern me because of
its bulk. Do I carry more water for hydration ? Also my winter jacket
when and if I'm spending the night on a island. The tent would have to
be a 4 seasons tent. I would imagine the length of time I can be out is
limited , Less room for a week stay out. I been ready the article in sea
kayak magazine (summer trip packing )to get an i idea of what i might be
running into . So i need more hints on what can or can't pack. My boat
has 7' of storage space.

Gary S.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:13:09 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:
How much difference is there between winter and summer gear for sea
kayaking - camping . Plan to do some winter camping.

It depends on where you live. In Florida, there's probably not much
difference. Up here in New England, it's huge.

There is some carry-over. However, the margin for error in winter is
minimal.

New England winter camping can get down to -30F or even colder at
times. It is rare even at our higher altitudes to get below freezing
in summer (I didn't say never).

In winter, think simple, reliable, and get gear that can be used with
mittens on.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Richard Ferguson

You need to do a "trial pack" to see if you can get enough warmies in
your kayak. You should also camp out once or twice in winter without
the kayak, just to get the hang of it.

On the other hand, if the weather is below zero, where are you going to
find enough open water? I can't imagine dragging a boat over the ice
jumble at the edge of Lake Michigan.

The big problem is that your margin of error goes to near zero. I
assume you will wear a wet suit. Hypothermia sets in quickly, and can
occur wet or dry.

Richard

Drew Cutter wrote:

How much difference is there between winter and summer gear for sea
kayaking - camping . Plan to do some winter camping.

Gary S.

On 21 Dec 2003 02:54:22 GMT, Drew Cutter wrote:

I live in the great lake area. The sleeping bag concern me because of
its bulk. Do I carry more water for hydration ? Also my winter jacket
when and if I'm spending the night on a island. The tent would have to
be a 4 seasons tent. I would imagine the length of time I can be out is
limited , Less room for a week stay out. I been ready the article in sea
kayak magazine (summer trip packing )to get an i idea of what i might be
running into . So i need more hints on what can or can't pack. My boat
has 7' of storage space.

There are many classes on winter camping which you might benefit from.
There are many skills you need to learn, and a newsgroup is not the
best way to learn so many things at once.

Bulk of a winter sleeping bag is a concern, especially a synthetic
material. Down would be better, but if it gets damp at all, it loses
significant insulation value for the rest of that trip.

Water needs do go up somewhat, as your respiration loses a great deal
of moisture as you breathe out warm moist air. Below freezing
temperatures limit your purification options.

There is more to winter clothing than a warm jacket. Same principles
as warmer weather, you you would add more layers and a few specialty
items.

You do not need a 4 season tent unless you are camping in areas with
significant winds or snow loads.

Before you take on a one or two week winter trip, you need to learn a
great deal more, as well as doing a number of shorter practice trips
with backup options. What you bring for gear is only a small part of
the package.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Drew Cutter

Thanks for the advice. I always believe to have an emergency backup.
For instance a white out or a sudden storm prevents me from getting back
right away. Too many jet skier in the summer months for a quick trip to
the lake. I have to go further north and less populated in the summer.

Drew Cutter

Are their places that have winter sea kayaking classes ? clubs ?

Rick

....stuff deleted

Bulk of a winter sleeping bag is a concern, especially a synthetic
material. Down would be better, but if it gets damp at all, it loses
significant insulation value for the rest of that trip.

I put the down sleeping back into 2 dry bags. I stuff the bag into the nose
of the boat about as tightly as I can. This seems to do the trick, so far,
although getting to it often means a certain amount of unpacking. For this
reason, I tend to stuff the food and camping gear in the bow as well (at
least the stuff I'll be using that evening). Anyone have a better
method/location for theirs?

Rick

Rick

If you are willing to travel, yes. In your area, I cannot comment. I am
willing to bet that Florida and other southern states, like California and
Washington, have year round classes and clubs. Up in the frozen north where
you live, I'm not so certain.

Rick