Gary S.

Default Winter vs Summer

On 21 Dec 2003 02:54:22 GMT, Drew Cutter wrote:

I live in the great lake area. The sleeping bag concern me because of
its bulk. Do I carry more water for hydration ? Also my winter jacket
when and if I'm spending the night on a island. The tent would have to
be a 4 seasons tent. I would imagine the length of time I can be out is
limited , Less room for a week stay out. I been ready the article in sea
kayak magazine (summer trip packing )to get an i idea of what i might be
running into . So i need more hints on what can or can't pack. My boat
has 7' of storage space.

There are many classes on winter camping which you might benefit from.
There are many skills you need to learn, and a newsgroup is not the
best way to learn so many things at once.

Bulk of a winter sleeping bag is a concern, especially a synthetic
material. Down would be better, but if it gets damp at all, it loses
significant insulation value for the rest of that trip.

Water needs do go up somewhat, as your respiration loses a great deal
of moisture as you breathe out warm moist air. Below freezing
temperatures limit your purification options.

There is more to winter clothing than a warm jacket. Same principles
as warmer weather, you you would add more layers and a few specialty
items.

You do not need a 4 season tent unless you are camping in areas with
significant winds or snow loads.

Before you take on a one or two week winter trip, you need to learn a
great deal more, as well as doing a number of shorter practice trips
with backup options. What you bring for gear is only a small part of
the package.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA