Default HDTV...

On Nov 13, 9:22 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

One thing people forget, resolution is only as good as the signal.
Lots of times the cable signal suffers over distance, and also the
cabling in your home, connections, etc.

Only if it's an analog signal.

If it's digital, you either get it perfect or you don't get it at all.

Eisboch

Digital signal can degrade, and still work. You'll get tiling, etc.
sometimes , along with quantization noise, and incorrect color.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Not exactly a boating topic, but...

What is the difference between 720 and 1080 - resolution?

Which is better - LCD or plasma?

360 lines....... or 30% higher resolution

Plasma.

Don't believe anything anyone else tells you about Plasma vs LCD.

Hm, I would put the two models beside each other with the same normal cable
feed signal, try the remote at different angles and see the picture before
making a decision. LCD has come a long way, weighs less, runs cooler and
many say lasts longer than plasma. But if in the end you don't like
watching it, then it isn't worth anything.

I bet on boats most are LCD. Simple less power/heat and lighter.

Resolution? Higher is better so long as quality is good.

Me, I picked LCD.

"Canuck57" wrote in message

[...]

Me too, for the boats. The LCD's are good, but you have to check the view
angle on some of them as they seem to vary, depending on who supplies the
LCD panel. I have a Sony Aquos on one boat and it is viewable across a
fairly wide angle. Another, made by Toshiba, (I think) has a very noticable
washout when viewing at the same angle as the Sony.

At home, we have plasmas.

Eisboch

Another somewhat annoying thing about the Toshiba....

It's one of the new models with a fully digital tuner although it still
processes analog. When you turn it on a message appears on the screen,
saying "Please wait". This lasts for a fews seconds as the tuner
apparently "boots" up. Then, if you change the channel with the remote,
there is a significant delay while it changes to the selected channel.
Screen goes blank and you wait for a bit.

Not good for serious clicker watchers.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Another somewhat annoying thing about the Toshiba....

It's one of the new models with a fully digital tuner although it still
processes analog. When you turn it on a message appears on the screen,
saying "Please wait". This lasts for a fews seconds as the tuner
apparently "boots" up. Then, if you change the channel with the remote,
there is a significant delay while it changes to the selected channel.
Screen goes blank and you wait for a bit.

Not good for serious clicker watchers.

Eisboch

Sounds like my Dishnetwork tuner.

On Tue, 13 Nov 07, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
What is the difference between 720 and 1080 - resolution?

On smaller screens (27") it's hardly noticeable. On larger screens
it matters....... unless you watch from 50' away ;-)

Which is better - LCD or plasma?

Beats me.
I just bought a 27" SDTV, tube type, for $250 at Sam's. Didn't buy it
for the quality picture, I bought it for the digital programming that
you can't pick up on an analog TV. This after checkin' out a 40"
split screen HDTV/SDTV for a few minutes and seeing a little
difference but not much.
Granted, a big screen HDTV can impress your friends, especially for a
Super Bowl party or something like that. But if you're not a TV
connoisseur and just want to watch a very good picture without the
"wow" factor and the bigness of it all, then a Standard Digital TV is
pretty damn nice for the money. And a tube type TV will last a lot
longer than either of the flat screen types, or so I'm told. Anyhow,
I've been pretty happy with mine.

Rick

PhantMan wrote:
a tube type TV will last a lot
longer than either of the flat screen types, or so I'm told. Anyhow,
I've been pretty happy with mine.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
SWS,
Don't listen to this man, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

You're right. I have a flat screen. I meant to say, a tube type will
last longer than either an LCD or Plasma (can't remember what they're
called..... skinny screens?).

Rick

More lines.

Plasma's about at the end. Most are lcd.

Not exactly a boating topic, but...

What is the difference between 720 and 1080 - resolution?

Which is better - LCD or plasma?

BAR BAR is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Not exactly a boating topic, but...

What is the difference between 720 and 1080 - resolution?

1080p

Which is better - LCD or plasma?

My wife wouldn't let me get a plasma.

LCD for general TV.

Plasma for sports.

Just in time for HDTV! Crash Test Dummy ASA 1 October 1st 07 07:15 PM
Flat screens HDTV on sailboats Joe ASA 2 September 9th 06 12:49 AM
HDTV set up Don White General 45 February 10th 06 01:38 PM