Don White

Default HDTV set up

Finally, the tv was delivered yesterday and the cable guy showed up at
1500 today to do his thing.
Here we only have 9 real HDTV stations in the high channel range 602 - 610.

Tv is beautiful on those and a bit less so on the remaining channels.
One tricky thing is choosing the correct 'screen mode'.
I set it up so the HDTV fills the screen, but the normal channels have
the black bars on each side. They just don't look right if I go to full
screen or zoom or wide zoom.
I have to get the Sony salesman out to the house to make sure I have the
set programmed for maxium clarity.
The cable guy gave me a HDMI cable to run between the box and tv and an
optical audio cable for DVR cable box/home theater system.
Now when I get my new DVD player I may use component cables for that.
The TV only has one HDMI input and it would be too much trouble moving
the HDMI cable between the DVR box and the DVD player as the salesman
suggested.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations Don. What sort of programs are on the 9 HDTV stations?

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JimH wrote:

Congratulations Don. What sort of programs are on the 9 HDTV stations?

Nine channels of curling, 24-7, of course.

Wet keyboard.
LOL

RCE

JimH

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
[...]

LMAO!

You have to put hockey games in there somewhere.

Anyway............

Don, when is Canada going 100% digital? The US is mandating it (I think) by
2009.

Don White

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

So far it appears to regular programing on a different time schedule...
maybe EST or CST vs AST. Wife came home and watched DR. Phil on one of
the channels.
I was watching the Slavery show on PBS Detroit before she came.
I seem to have ABC, NBC CBS, CBC, CTV, PBS and three others.
At 5pm wife made me switch to MASH on a regular channel.
Our salesman said a lot of the prime time programming is HD... but I
don't know if he meant on the regular channels..or just the nine
mentioned above.
The new DVR cable box will be interesting. Some of the buttons I
previously used for the 'info' program now control the recording harddrive.
Good thing I'm retired.

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

If it was hockey..it wouldn't be so bad!
(better watch what I wish for)
Don White

JimH wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

We always follow you guys. Haven't heard of a firm date lately
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Tv is beautiful on those and a bit less so on the remaining channels.
One tricky thing is choosing the correct 'screen mode'.
I set it up so the HDTV fills the screen, but the normal channels
have the black bars on each side. They just don't look right if I go
to full screen or zoom or wide zoom.
I have to get the Sony salesman out to the house to make sure I have
the set programmed for maxium clarity.

My SONY HDTV has the same sized screen display on regular or HDTV
cablecasts, so I am guessing you have a setting set wrong.

Nope, as usual, YOU are wrong.

HD broadcasts have an aspect ratio of 16:9. Regular broadcasts are in 4:3
AR. If your regular programming fills the screen of an HD display, either
everyone looks fat or you're cutting off significant parts of the top and
bottom of the picture.

Fred:

There's nothing, I repeat, nothing you post here that I believe or care
about.

And you're wrong. But I'm not going to expend any effort to "prove" it.

Fred was correct but failed to mention the solution you have on your
TV...and know nothing about. If you want the most normal looking picture
for the 4:3 without sidebars, the best setting option is to stretch
*only* the ends of the picture and leave the center normal. So, as Fred
stated, your options for 4:3 are stretch mode, regular mode, or
*modified stretch*.

As always, it's a pleasure correcting your poor advice, Krause.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Default World Class Diddling

Harry Krause wrote:

As always, it's a pleasure correcting your poor advice, Krause.

Since neither of you rectal fissures has any idea of the capabilities or
settings of my television, I suggest you spend your time diddling each
other.

And while we're on the subject of diddling, what price do you think the
west will ultimately pay for supporting Israel's landgrabs and abuse of
Arabs? Not a small hurt, eh?

--
Skipper
JohnH

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:40:15 GMT, Don White wrote:

[...]

When a signal is broadcast in HD, the normal setting will fill the screen
nicely. When looking at regular broadcast, you'll have to live with the
lines on the sides, a 'stretched' mode, or a zoomed mode. (At least that's
the way mine is.) This is true for all channels, except the HD channels
when the broadcast is in HD. I first thought there was something wrong with
my TV also, but there wasn't. I've learned to live with fat faces, or
having the heads cut off a little and the display reduced on the bottom.

I use the component cables for the cable box and for the dvd player.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Ping: Don White and RCE JimH General 19 February 5th 06 11:14 PM
Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip... Doug Kanter General 55 January 9th 06 09:36 PM