JimH

Default Ping: Don White and RCE

We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture quality
improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

JimH

Default Don White and RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
We are getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Dammit....."We am..."???????? I originally typed "I am..." but changed it
to "We.."

Doh!

Edit to correct the mistake.

JohnH

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:23:03 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
We are getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Dammit....."We am..."???????? I originally typed "I am..." but changed it
to "We.."

Doh!

Edit to correct the mistake.

I didn't notice much difference when I went to the digital boxes. The big
difference comes with the HDTV.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Your new digital boxes will be dedicated to one TV each. Viewing these TV's
will gain features such as the interactive program guide, pay for view and,
depending on what service you have, view on demand features. If either or
both of the TV's connected to the new boxes are digital or "ED", you should
see a picture quality improvement, *if* you connect it correctly to take
advantage of it. (see below)

Your other 6 TV's will not be any different than they are now.

If you have been experiencing weak or snowy pictures with your current
analog only service, you should see an improvement on the two TV's that are
connected to the digital box.

Other than checking for signal strength on the existing cable lines, there's
not much to do.

Connecting the TV to the Cable boxes:

If your TV has a component video input (three RCA jacks, blue, green and
red) and two audio inputs (RCA jacks, white and red) and the digital box
from Comcast has these outputs - use them. Don't connect the TV to the box
using the VHF "to TV" F-type connector. Then:

On your TV select the source to which you made these connections - (video
one, video two, or whatever). This is now how you will leave the TV and
your channel selection, etc will be done with the new cable box remote
control.

The mistake many people make is using the VHF output from the cable box.
All this does is sends the undecoded analog signal into your TV's
non-digital tuner (you have to leave it on Chan 3) and defeats the purpose
of getting digital service. If your TV does not have provisions for an
external component input, then you will have to be satisfied with analog
until you upgrade the TV

Make sense?

RCE

Don White

JimH wrote:
We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture quality
improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Years ago I ran a lot of the original coaxel cable and splitters myself
using Radio Shack connecters to the 'extra tvs.
I asked the installer to upgrade the connectors to what they are using.
I wouldn't count on the analog tv's getting better... just the ones
connected to the digital cable box.

JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Years ago I ran a lot of the original coaxel cable and splitters myself
using Radio Shack connecters to the 'extra tvs.
I asked the installer to upgrade the connectors to what they are using.
I wouldn't count on the analog tv's getting better... just the ones
connected to the digital cable box.

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Yes.

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No.

RCE

JimH

"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Yes.

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No.

RCE

Check that last question............can one purchase and install a Comcast
digital receiver on the other TV's and receive digital quality pictures on
the.......thus avoiding extra receiver rental charges?

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/so...ff/bueller.wav

"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Yes.

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No.

RCE

Check that last question............can one purchase and install a Comcast
digital receiver on the other TV's and receive digital quality pictures
on the.......thus avoiding extra receiver rental charges?

To my knowledge, no. Legally you must rent additional boxes for each TV. I
think they are around 4 or 5 bucks a month. I know with Sat TV you can buy
your own receiver, but you still have to pay for the additional service.
Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

RCE