Default Boating and required ID

In the thread about the USCG proposing a new federal law requiring ID
while boating we are talking about what the USCG is looking for, but
currently many, maybe most, states require you to carry ID.

In Georgia, you need the same type of ID to boat as you do to drive.

The boat registration and a government issued ID (drivers license,
passport, a boat safety certificate, ID card etc.) I keep my
registration, an extra copy of my drivers license, and a spare key in
the boat at all times, so I know I will never forget them it. I use one
of those fake cans to hold all items.

What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

In Maryland you're required to have both an ID and the boat's registration
on board. I don't know the specifics of who's "allowed" to demand this
information, however. Fortunately the various officials working our local
waters seem to do a good job of not annoying us. I'm sure other
jurisdictions have their share of issues.

I think the hassles here have more to do with the patchwork of licensing and
registration than anything else. Several states do not even have decent
titling or registration of vessels.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote
What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

It appears that the DNR is the agency is responsible in my state, but I
haven't found anything enlightening in the state code.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/20/masterfrmFrm.htm
(Boat stuff starts around §20-7-11)

Maybe I'll call the DNR this afternoon and see if anyone there knows
anything.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 06:41:35 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

In the thread about the USCG proposing a new federal law requiring ID
while boating we are talking about what the USCG is looking for, but
currently many, maybe most, states require you to carry ID.

In Georgia, you need the same type of ID to boat as you do to drive.

The boat registration and a government issued ID (drivers license,
passport, a boat safety certificate, ID card etc.) I keep my
registration, an extra copy of my drivers license, and a spare key in
the boat at all times, so I know I will never forget them it. I use one
of those fake cans to hold all items.

What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

The requirement in CT is a valid boater certification issued by the
state, a state issued picture ID and vessel registration.

On Nov 1, 3:41?am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
In the thread about the USCG proposing a new federal law requiring ID
while boating we are talking about what the USCG is looking for, but
currently many, maybe most, states require you to carry ID.

In Georgia, you need the same type of ID to boat as you do to drive.

The boat registration and a government issued ID (drivers license,
passport, a boat safety certificate, ID card etc.) I keep my
registration, an extra copy of my drivers license, and a spare key in
the boat at all times, so I know I will never forget them it. I use one
of those fake cans to hold all items.

What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

In WA you are not required to carry any personal ID. Certainly not a
driver's license, as it is perfectly legal to operate a boat at an age
much younger than that at which you would qualify to drive a car.
Beginning in January of next year, boaters 12-20 years of age will be
required to carry a card confirming that they have met some minimal
education requirements for operating a boat, and the age limit creeps
up gradually in following years until in about another six years or so
everybody born after 1955 will be required to qualify. You are
required to carry a vessel registration, (even in an inflatable
dinghy), if the vessel is motorized.

That said, most of the local water cops are probably going to ask for
ID and will be less than entirely amused if you don't have any. One
consideration is the nature of the boat involved. It's less reasonable
to expect a guy wearing a bathing suit on a jet ski to have all of his
personal ID handy, compared to somebody out cruising in a 40-foot
trawler.

The Boater Education program is a good start, but there are some
gaping holes in the system. Our state card doesn't include a photo of
the cardholder. "Hey, Jimmie! Can I take the runabout up the lake to
get a couple of cases of beer?", "Sure Steve, you got your education
card?", "Hell, no- what's that?", "Something you need if you get
stopped by the cops. Here, take mine and tell them your name is Jimmie
Smith."

wrote:
In the thread about the USCG proposing a new federal law requiring ID
while boating we are talking about what the USCG is looking for, but
currently many, maybe most, states require you to carry ID.

In Georgia, you need the same type of ID to boat as you do to drive.

The boat registration and a government issued ID (drivers license,
passport, a boat safety certificate, ID card etc.) I keep my
registration, an extra copy of my drivers license, and a spare key in
the boat at all times, so I know I will never forget them it. I use one
of those fake cans to hold all items.

What is requirement in your state, and do you always keep them with you
while boating?

I just spoke with a lady at the Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries
who said the only thing required in Virginia was the boat registration. I
couldn't find the info on the DGIF website.

I believe in NC all you have to have is the boat registration as
well. I have never been asked for anything else. Those under 16 also
must have a certificate for an online safety course. But how they
know the persons age is not clear. The person could simply say they
were over 16. We put a copy of the cerificate in a waterprrof pouch
in my daughter's jetski but so far she has never been stopped.

wrote:
[...]

YOu can take the course online, and I heard a dad giving his daugher the
answers over the phone. One stupid dad. All of my kids had to take
it, and you can take it as many times as you want for free. So they
designed the test to be part of the educational process. You also get a
10% savings from my insurance company, probably most do.

wrote:
[...]

I asked the lady, "How would the officer know if I owned the boat, just by
looking at the registration?"

Her response was, "Sir, all you need to have is the registration." She had
that tone in her voice that indicated she thought my questions were a
little smart assed.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:15:56 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Here, take mine and tell them your name is Jimmie
Smith."

And that would be a criminal act.

Advice required Muttsdanglers UK Power Boats 4 March 15th 11 07:48 PM
Is a bell required? [email protected] Cruising 18 September 26th 07 02:53 PM
Boating: Are reading and arithmetic skills required? Vic Smith General 26 November 12th 06 12:57 AM
No Rewrites Required! Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 2nd 05 12:02 PM
hp required Habbi Boat Building 1 July 19th 03 02:36 AM