Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Boating: Are reading and arithmetic skills required?

This is of some concern to me, since I'm hoping to get good advice
here. I just pulled out of a thread here where I posted a black and
white gov report. It was a written simply in plain English and had a
few simple numbers. That OT thread is over for me and I want to get
back to boating for a bit.
But the response I got from a boater showed he was unable to read it
clearly, and his math increased the costs shown by a factor of 6.
Not naming names here, but I was shocked.
What I'm afraid of is having somebody here recommend, say, a 240 hp
motor when he really means 40 hp, and then the dealer calls me and
says the boat is ready, but it sunk.
Please tell me that was an aberration, and there's nothing to worry
about, and that boaters have more of their senses working when they
talk about boats than they do when talking about other subjects.
BTW, do they have GPS units that talk?

--Vic