Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
zed zed is offline

Default Mercury 1990 100hp Lower unit HELP!

Mercury 1990 100hp Lower unit HELP!
I have a 1990 Mercury 100hp... the Lower unit seized cause fishing
line got in my seal! no oil..the driveshaft still turns the bearrings
are all toast so have it opened.. taken the prop shaft out and
bearrings but I cannot get the DRIVESHAFT removed ..the nut at the
bottom has been removed the pinnion gear is still on.... how do i
remove the driveshaft.. it just wont pull out the top of the lower
unit... the instructions in the SELOC online manual seem to just say
pull shaft out??? confused? should i hammer and apply force..??
someone told me to try the following....

The pinion is seated on the shaft, without a drive shaft holder you
will have to place the drive shaft in a vise use cushion jaws if you
have them and don't clamp on a surface that you can't clean up if you
damage it next take a hardwood block and place it on the lower units
upper mating surface as close to the drive shaft as possible and hit
it with a 3# hammer to dislodge the pinion gear

TRIED THIS BUT STILL WON'T MOVE..what is holding it?????????????????

these are the instructions.....!

22. Select a box end wrench the same size as the pinion nut. This tool
will be used to prevent the nut from turning as the driveshaft is
rotated. Obtain a Driveshaft Holding Tool (#C-91-56775).

23. Install the holding tool onto the end of the driveshaft. Now, with
the box end wrench on the pinion gear nut, use an appropriate wrench
and rotate the tool and driveshaft counterclockwise until the pinion
gear nut is free.

24. Remove the nut and the pinion gear assembly.
Set aside the old pinion gear nut. The manufacturer recommends the nut
not be used a second time. Once the nut has been removed it loses its
designed locking characteristics. The old pinion nut will be
temporarily installed on the driveshaft for shimming and backlash
calculations, and then removed and discarded.

25. Obtain and position a Universal Puller Plate (#C-91-37241) between
the pinion gear and the tapered roller bearing. Place the puller plate
and gear, with the gear on the bottom, in an arbor press. Use a
suitable mandrel and press the gear free of the bearing. The mandrel
must contact the gear collar, but clear the bearing cage.
Once the bearing has been removed, it cannot be used a second time.
The roller cage will be distorted during the removal process.

26. Pull the driveshaft up and out of the lower unit housing.

WTB lower unit for '95 Mercury 225 Joe General 2 April 26th 07 04:22 PM
Mercury lower unit Tom Creech General 4 October 5th 04 12:10 AM
Re-installing lower unit on 60-70's 9.8 Mercury dave General 2 March 14th 04 07:31 PM
Mercury 7.5 outboard: I canna get the lower unit off,.. L R Harris & Son UK Power Boats 1 September 11th 03 11:13 PM
Mercury 7.5 outboard: I canna get the lower unit off,.. Nigel Rudgewick-Brown UK Power Boats 0 September 5th 03 11:39 AM