Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
dave

Default Re-installing lower unit on 60-70's 9.8 Mercury

I pulled the lower unit on my 9.8 mercury outboard to check the water
pump.
I am trying to reinstall it, and everything appears to aligned
correct, but I can not get it to reassemble the last 1". Neither the
drive shaft nor the direction shaft have corrosion on the ends, and
neither is chipped or broken.

I had pulled it apart about a year ago, and reassembled it pretty
smoothly. I can not remember having to do anything special to
reassemble.

I can see where the direction shaft is engaging with the motor, from a
side view. If I wiggle the direction handle, I can see the shaft move
with it. So it appears to be aligning.

Anyone with any suggestions or tricks for alligning/assembling?

johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Removing gears from lower unit, Mercruiser 165 tothundr General 3 October 6th 03 01:19 AM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
Lower end unit questions... Jim General 2 August 20th 03 07:52 AM
How to Detach Shift Linkage to Lower Unit ReevesJ32 General 0 July 21st 03 04:23 AM