L R Harris & Son

Default Mercury 7.5 outboard: I canna get the lower unit off,..

the easiest way is to heat the leading edge up with a blowlamp as the bolt
becomes "seized" into the ally casting, then very carefully prise the two
castings apart with a strong screw driver or prybar (mind the waterpump
housing though)
I ve just done a 4hp merc and it took two of us nearly half an hour!

Mark Harris

---

harris1971

on the 4hp the gear shift rod is a short splined shaft just behind the bolt
that gets stuck, the drive shaft seperated from the powerhead thankfully
Mark Harris
"stuck onland" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:56:38 +0000 (UTC), "L R Harris & Son"
wrote:

the easiest way is to heat the leading edge up with a blowlamp as the

bolt
becomes "seized" into the ally casting, then very carefully prise the two
castings apart with a strong screw driver or prybar (mind the waterpump
housing though)
I ve just done a 4hp merc and it took two of us nearly half an hour!

Mark Harris

That's encouraging. I'm glad to hear of your success. I've been
cooking and pounding and squirting goo into it for hours. Can you tell
me if you had to disconnect the shift rod at the power head end as the
got a half meter length of stainless rod attached to it? That does
seem to be where it's very firmly bound at the leading edge; just
where the shift rod passes through the joint above the cavitation
plate. Also, when you separated the lower end, did the drive shaft
come out with the pinion gear attached? I mean it clears the diameter
of the torpedo shaft, correct? So with the lower end off, the drive
shaft is still attached to the power head end and sticking out? Sorry
if my nomenclature is inacurate as this is all new to me. If I ever
sort this I will stick to MG repair. Thanks again. sol.

---