posted to alt.sailing

Default CC vs pilot house

Ok. I need help. We are looking at a pilot house 43'. We want to live
aboard her and next summer start out on a pacific cruise from Maryland. My
dilemma is which would work better for us? What are the pros and cons of
each type of vessel? We really want something with some room to it.
thanks
Jim

posted to alt.sailing

"Daddy Hobbit" wrote...
Ok. I need help. We are looking at a pilot house 43'. We want to live
aboard her and next summer start out on a pacific cruise from Maryland. My
dilemma is which would work better for us? What are the pros and cons of each
type of vessel? We really want something with some room to it.

By "CC" I assume you mean Center Cockpit...

Individual designs vary a LOT, but in general, the 2 biggest advantages to CCs
are a large aft cabin and "up high/up front" visibility. The disadvantages
are aesthetics and access to the transom as a swim platform or for dinghy
access.

Pilot houses and "deck saloons" are very popular right now. Advantages are
headroom and light in the 'house, and a secure steering station out of the
weather. Disadvantage is windage, compared with "normal" aft-cockpit designs
(which applies to CCs as well).

For a long cruise, I prefer a pilot house.

A Pilot House for Nellen Joe ASA 0 January 18th 07 02:38 PM
A Pilot House for Nellen Gilligan ASA 0 January 18th 07 02:29 PM
Merits of a pilot house on a 37' Bruce Roberts? wblakesx General 0 July 6th 05 08:26 PM
a pilot house by any other name [email protected] Boat Building 12 May 14th 05 01:18 AM
Gulf 27 Pilot House Mr T General 6 January 3rd 05 12:16 AM