Default River Cleanup near Deale, MD.

Seems like the rivers around Washington DC require a period cleanup of
old cars, defunct refrigerators, worn out tires, CRT PC monitors and
other stuff that somebody must have figured was "outta sight, outta
mind". 40-million pounds of trash each year in the Anacostia River
alone- according to the attached item. (Good grief, that's almost 1-
million pounds of junk per week!)

I noticed that the WM Store in Deale, Md is participating in this
event. I think that's Harry's and John H's general neighborhood, as it
has been mentioned a time or two in posts about mooring and storing
boats. Really, you guys should be more careful! :-)

***************

Organizations to Help Clear Debris from the Anacostia River

WATSONVILLE, Calif. (October 22, 2007) - West Marine, Inc., the
country's favorite
retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is partnering with
Living Classrooms of the
National Capital Region to help clear debris from the Anacostia River
in Washington, DC.

On Thursday, November 15, 2007 from 10 AM-12 PM, West Marine employees
from the
D.C area will join Living Classrooms, an organization which provides
hands-on education
and job skills training for at-risk students, in helping clear debris
from the Anacostia
River near Kingman Island. The event will provide a forum for
information on debris
recruitment and associated hands-on activities that reflect the Living
Classrooms
approach to learning.

"Debris is a major problem affecting our nation's shorelines and
20,000 tons enter the
historic Anacostia River annually," said Peter Harris, president and
chief executive
officer, West Marine. "Through our partnership with Living Classrooms
in our Nation's
Capital, we are helping address the problem, while educating people
about the
importance of keeping our water clean."

In addition to their hands on support, West Marine stores in the DC
area will be donating
5% of all sales on Thursday, November 8, 2007 to Living Classrooms and
their clean up
efforts of the Anacostia River.

Participating West Marine stores include:

West Marine
601 S Patrick St, Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 549-7020

West Marine
890 S Pickett St, Alexandria, VA 22304
Phone: (703) 461-2850

West Marine
13330 Gordon Blvd., Woodbridge, VA 22191
Phone: (703) 492-6225

West Marine
5250 Randolph Rd., Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 230-0945

West Marine
389 Deale Rd, Tracy's Landing, MD 20779
Phone: (301) 889-0004

For more information on how people can get involved in the Anacostia
River clean up
efforts, visit the Living Classrooms of the National Capital Region
Website at
www.livingclassroomsdc.org or call 202-441-8493.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
Seems like the rivers around Washington DC require a period cleanup of
old cars, defunct refrigerators, worn out tires, CRT PC monitors and
other stuff that somebody must have figured was "outta sight, outta
mind". 40-million pounds of trash each year in the Anacostia River
alone- according to the attached item. (Good grief, that's almost 1-
million pounds of junk per week!)

I noticed that the WM Store in Deale, Md is participating in this
event. I think that's Harry's and John H's general neighborhood, as it
has been mentioned a time or two in posts about mooring and storing
boats. Really, you guys should be more careful! :-)

The Anacostia River is nowhere near Deale. It is a tributary of the
Potomac and empties into it just south of Washington, D.C. The Potomac
empties into Chesapeake Bay about 40 miles south of Deale.

I've attached a map.

Deale is east of the DC area, on the Bay.

The Anacostia is the east side of the wye that feeds into the Potomac,
on the left side of the map.

Unfortunately, the lower income people who live in the "Anacostia"
portion of DC have for decades dumped trash into the river there. It's
really a pretty little river with a lot of potential, if it is ever
cleaned up. The new DC baseball stadium is being built along its banks.

http://tinyurl.com/2k5d36

Perhaps you ought to stick to writing about boats built of unspecified
composites.

On Oct 22, 11:54?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Well congrats to your local store for participating in the cleanup.

I didn't *really* suspect that you and John H were a big part of the
problem. :-)

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:54?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

John is not one of my favorite people here, but I have seen how he
maintains his boat and his old truck. He's fastidious, and I doubt he's
ever tossed his trash anywhere it wasn't supposed to go.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

John is not one of my favorite people here, but I have seen how he
maintains his boat and his old truck. He's fastidious, and I doubt he's
ever tossed his trash anywhere it wasn't supposed to go.

Except in here ...of course! ;-)

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:54?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

.....except for right here in this newsgroup.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:50:57 -0400, HK wrote:

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:54?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I've been on the Anacostia. It is definitely in need of cleaning,
and is probably the source of 90% of the pollution that gets into the
Potomac, except when a heavy rain floods the Blue Plains water treatment
plant, of course.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:10:55 -0500, John H. wrote:

Thanks. I've been on the Anacostia. It is definitely in need of
cleaning, and is probably the source of 90% of the pollution that gets
into the Potomac, except when a heavy rain floods the Blue Plains water
treatment plant, of course.

Is that true? I thought that agricultural runoff was the number one source of Bay problems.
I've read that the Anacostia is the most polluted river in the Chesapeake watershed, and
perhaps, one of the most polluted rivers in the country. It's a shame, 30 years after the Clean
Water Act, this mess still continues.

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:54?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Except for here, of course!

Default Maps (Was: River Cleanup near Deale, MD.)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:54:11 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2k5d36

That's a nice map. Lately I haven't had much luck finding good maps
on the net - coastal, highway, you name it.
Might probably be my brain just isn't working right.
Do you - or anyone else - have favorite sites for maps.
Might be good to post the links. Yeah, it's me asking, but everybody
might benefit. I'll sure bookmark them, and I never lose bookmarks.

--Vic

From the sets of the town being posted in .scenic - chester 21-3-07 river boat river countess_cml size.jpg (1/1) BoilerBill[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 May 7th 07 09:17 AM
Coastal cleanup Frogwatch General 1 September 17th 06 04:51 AM
Coastal cleanup [email protected] General 1 September 18th 05 07:28 PM
Fender cleanup Michael ASA 5 July 12th 04 03:30 PM
cleanup on alum boat Derek General 3 May 30th 04 09:57 PM