Default Great Loop - I'm confused.

Which, I'll be the first to admit, happens all the time.

For some reason, I thought the "Great Loop" was around the Eastern US
utilizing the ICW in part up the coast to Canada and down the St.
Lawrence over through Lake Michigan, down the Mississippi, along the
Gulf Coast back to home port.

If that is the Great Loop, then what the heck are Doug and Kathy King
doing in Muscle Shoals, Ala on the Tennessee River?
Senior Member

On Sep 28, 8:54 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Which, I'll be the first to admit, happens all the time.

For some reason, I thought the "Great Loop" was around the Eastern US
utilizing the ICW in part up the coast to Canada and down the St.
Lawrence over through Lake Michigan, down the Mississippi, along the
Gulf Coast back to home port.

If that is the Great Loop, then what the heck are Doug and Kathy King
doing in Muscle Shoals, Ala on the Tennessee River?

Looks like they could have cut off the Mississippi at Charlston,
Missouri and headed down the Tennessee River. Where the heck he is
gonna pop out, I dunno'.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:31:42 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

There's something called the Tenn-Tom whereby you bypass the
Mississippi for a piece. I think they come out near Mobile, AL.

Exactly right, that is the preferred way to take a small boat south to
the Gulf of Mexico. The normal route is to take the Illinois River
south to the Mississippi, Mississippi River south to the Ohio River,
north east on the Ohio, and then south again on the Tennessee River to
the Tombigbee Waterway which runs south to Mobile, AL.

The lower Mississippi is not very friendly to small boat traffic:
strong currents, lots of large commercial traffic and very few
marinas.

wrote:

There's something called the Tenn-Tom whereby you bypass the
Mississippi for a piece. I think they come out near Mobile, AL.

Exactly right, that is the preferred way to take a small boat south to
the Gulf of Mexico. The normal route is to take the Illinois River
south to the Mississippi, Mississippi River south to the Ohio River,
north east on the Ohio, and then south again on the Tennessee River to
the Tombigbee Waterway which runs south to Mobile, AL.

The lower Mississippi is not very friendly to small boat traffic:
strong currents, lots of large commercial traffic and very few
marinas.

The Tenn Tom is the most expensive water project ever done by the US,
and was supposed to provide jobs and industry to a very poor region of
Mississippi, and to increase traffic to the port of Mobile.

I think it has been a major disappointment as far as jobs and industry
to the area, but has become a popular venue for rec.boating.
Senior Member

wrote:

[...]

to the area, but has become a popular venue for rec.boating.- Hide quoted text -

When my bud was stationed at the Redstone Arsenal we spent a lot of
time playing by the Tennessee River. Lots of mud down by Huntsville
Ala, and camping up in Lincoln County Tenn. by the Tims Ford Dam which
at the time was part of the "Tennessee Valley Authority" electical
system. It is a beautiful part of the south, areas around northern Ala
and Tenn are some of the most beautiful country I have camped in and I
have been all over. I don't know much about access to facilities
available from the water side though. I can't remember how they get
around the Tims Ford although I guess I could do a google.

wrote:

There's something called the Tenn-Tom whereby you bypass the
Mississippi for a piece. I think they come out near Mobile, AL.

Exactly right, that is the preferred way to take a small boat south to
the Gulf of Mexico. The normal route is to take the Illinois River
south to the Mississippi, Mississippi River south to the Ohio River,
north east on the Ohio, and then south again on the Tennessee River to
the Tombigbee Waterway which runs south to Mobile, AL.

Ah - should have thought of that - makes perfect sense.

The lower Mississippi is not very friendly to small boat traffic:
strong currents, lots of large commercial traffic and very few
marinas.

That also makes sense.

Thanks.

Which, I'll be the first to admit, happens all the time.

For some reason, I thought the "Great Loop" was around the Eastern US
utilizing the ICW in part up the coast to Canada and down the St.
Lawrence over through Lake Michigan, down the Mississippi, along the
Gulf Coast back to home port.

If that is the Great Loop, then what the heck are Doug and Kathy King
doing in Muscle Shoals, Ala on the Tennessee River?

http://cruisingthegreatloop.com/map.jpg

Eisboch

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:09:13 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
Which, I'll be the first to admit, happens all the time.

For some reason, I thought the "Great Loop" was around the Eastern US
utilizing the ICW in part up the coast to Canada and down the St.
Lawrence over through Lake Michigan, down the Mississippi, along the
Gulf Coast back to home port.

If that is the Great Loop, then what the heck are Doug and Kathy King
doing in Muscle Shoals, Ala on the Tennessee River?

http://cruisingthegreatloop.com/map.jpg

That's what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Kids on the Great Loop DSK Cruising 5 April 5th 06 06:17 AM
solo around the great loop dtwolfen Cruising 1 March 29th 05 02:25 PM
Great Loop distances Tamaroak Cruising 11 January 29th 05 04:42 AM
great circle loop scott perkins ASA 5 September 28th 04 03:44 AM
The Great Loop Tom R. Cruising 0 November 21st 03 02:01 AM