Default Yo! Harry! (or anyone else) Antenna question

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:40:59 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:07:42 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:52:15 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Needless to say, this will prompt a long discussion on the correct
way to splice or how stupid it is to splice an ant. wire
You never splice coax without using proper connectors and a barrel
splice, all of which introduce some additional losses.
The *right* way is to cut off the original connector, shorten the
cable as needed, and install a new connector.

Is there a 'proper' manner of installing a new connector? Is there a
'proper' type of new connector to install?

Most antenna kits come with an instruction sheet. The instructions
describe in words and drawings how to attach the connector. Only minor
soldering skills are required.

Well I knew this would make for an interesting discussion. I went
online to see what Shakespeare is doing today. 10 yrs ago, they said
"DO NOT CUT CABLE". Today, they provide instructions and a connection,
but say

This antenna will read “open circuit”
when tested with an ohm meter or
continuity tester.
The 50-ohm coaxial cable should
remain at least 3 feet in length,
measured from the point where the
cable exits the antenna.
For installations where the cable
exits through the bottom center of
the antenna’s ferrule, replace the
grommet at the exit hole in the ferrule
with the supplied Grommet Plug.
Connect the antenna to your transceiver with RG-8/X lowloss
coax cable (supplied) and install the PL-259 connector
(supplied). Instructions for connector installation are included
with the connector.

I found a site that showed in more detail than anyone would want, how to
install a PL-259 Connector.

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...SolderCoax.htm

JohnH, enjoy, you have Shakespeare blessing. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T
BUY A METZ.

No, I'm not buying a Metz. That last paragraph sounded like something
written by Shortwave himself!

Thanks!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:06:49 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:29:23 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

John H. wrote:

wrote:

Needless to say, this will prompt a long discussion on the correct
way
to splice or how stupid it is to splice an ant. wire
You never splice coax without using proper connectors and a barrel
splice, all of which introduce some additional losses.

The *right* way is to cut off the original connector, shorten the
cable as needed, and install a new connector.
Wayne,

What I have learned from all of this is when I said "splice" I really
meant "cut and install a new connector", and if I can't use the proper
words, I probably am completely incapable of installing a new
connector,
without dropping so much signal that it will barely reach from my helm
to the bow of my boat.

It probably won't matter, I very rarely use my VHF, so I would only
know
it was not working correctly if I had an emergency and really needed a
good quality connection. Since the odds of this happening is low, I
will not worry about it.

When you're on the water, and your engine dies, and call TowBoatUS on
your
cell phone, and you drop your cell phone in the bilge while trying to
unscrew the fuel filter, and the tow boat guy manages to get to where
you
were when you (luckily) gave your position to the operator immediately,
but
the wind has blown you a few miles away, and your radio will receive but
not transmit, and you hear the towboat guy calling but he can't hear
your
response, and you stand on the engine compartment waving your orange
throw
cushions back and forth for a half hour, and finally the towboat guy
spots
you, *THEN* you'll begin to worry about your damn radio!!

That would be one hell of a bad day. So are you going to cut and
install a new connection?

I'm going to see if I can get Shakespeare to make me about a 2 meter
cable.

Why not wait to see how much room you have to tuck the excess cable into
until you receive your boat? You may have plenty of room . I certainly
did on our 20 foot runabout.

I had the coil on a Whaler CC. I didn't like it. If it costs a few more
bucks for a special cable, it will be worth it.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:34:25 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Why?

Got in my way. Looked messy.

wrote:

[...]

Ahhh, now I understand. Mine is attached to the bulkhead behind the
radio mounted into the helm, and is completely hidden and out of the
way. The ONLY time I ever saw the coil of cable is when they installed
the radio. If I had to move it out of the way, and look at 20 ft. of
ant. cable, I would spend the little bit for a shorter ant. cable.

wrote:

[...]

Yup, especially when one of the main storage areas is inside the console!

Question for Harry Tom General 26 November 5th 04 10:36 PM
SSB antenna question Ayesha Electronics 12 October 18th 04 11:34 PM
GR100 - antenna question Nick Electronics 0 May 10th 04 10:49 PM
Antenna question Ron Patterson Electronics 2 December 20th 03 11:39 PM
SSB Antenna Question Grant Ziebell Electronics 15 November 12th 03 02:21 PM