Ron Patterson

Default Antenna question

I am considering buying a Garmin GPSMAP 162 but am undecided as
whether to get the internal version or the external version. My boat
is fiberglass sloop and I think the GPS would work inside the cabin.
However I would like to mount it outside in good weather. In other
words I would love the mobility of an internal antenna. But what would
I be giving up in terms of reception?

Ron Patterson
doug dotson

External antenna is usually better all around. We have a handheld GPS
we used for a while and keep as backup. It looses lock occationally
and looses it often in bad weather when the bimini is wet. Doesn;t work
well below deck.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
om...
I am considering buying a Garmin GPSMAP 162 but am undecided as
whether to get the internal version or the external version. My boat
is fiberglass sloop and I think the GPS would work inside the cabin.
However I would like to mount it outside in good weather. In other
words I would love the mobility of an internal antenna. But what would
I be giving up in terms of reception?

Ron Patterson

-rick-

"doug dotson" wrote in message
External antenna is usually better all around. We have a handheld GPS
we used for a while and keep as backup. It looses lock occationally
and looses it often in bad weather when the bimini is wet. Doesn;t work
well below deck.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
om...
I am considering buying a Garmin GPSMAP 162 but am undecided as
whether to get the internal version or the external version. My boat
is fiberglass sloop and I think the GPS would work inside the cabin.
However I would like to mount it outside in good weather. In other
words I would love the mobility of an internal antenna. But what would
I be giving up in terms of reception?

Ron Patterson

My GPSMAP 168 has a BNC connector for the external antenna. You could use a
single external antenna and a manual coaxial RF switch to select between 2
mounting locations.

-rick-