Default Not a single screw loose

Eisboch wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

I always enjoy a good screw while lying in the aft cabin.

Perfectly aligned?

Eisboch

Eisboch,
To be perfectly honest with you, I like it either way, aligned or a
little cocked to the side.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
:

Eisboch,
To be perfectly honest with you, I like it either way, aligned or a
little cocked to the side.

Even upside down is great! The slots don't even have to line up straight!

Larry

On Sep 24, 8:53?am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

I always enjoy a good screw while lying in the aft cabin.- Hide quoted text -

But if each in a long series is exactly identical one could probably
make a strong case that a little variety would relieve monotony, (or
at least reinforce monogamy). I have no idea how GB gets all those
screws to line up perfectly, but I'm certain their fastener supplier
ensures each screw comes complete with proper head.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:53?am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
I always enjoy a good screw while lying in the aft cabin.- Hide quoted text -

But if each in a long series is exactly identical one could probably
make a strong case that a little variety would relieve monotony, (or
at least reinforce monogamy). I have no idea how GB gets all those
screws to line up perfectly, but I'm certain their fastener supplier
ensures each screw comes complete with proper head.

The screw heads are glued on later after the nails are countersunk. :|

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:53?am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
I always enjoy a good screw while lying in the aft cabin.- Hide quoted text -

But if each in a long series is exactly identical one could probably
make a strong case that a little variety would relieve monotony, (or
at least reinforce monogamy). I have no idea how GB gets all those
screws to line up perfectly, but I'm certain their fastener supplier
ensures each screw comes complete with proper head.

You can never go wrong with good head.

Senior Member

On Sep 24, 1:13 pm, Larry wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in news:zb-dnWOzy67
:

That kind of old school craftsmanship and tradition is not found much
anymore.

Yeah, he drives 'em in with the screw gun, then leaves it against the
rachet buzzing away until the slot aligns like his boss told him
to....because they knew you'd be looking.

Wonder how many they stripped out doing this?

Head alignment is MUCH more important than proper torque, I can see.

Larry
--

With wood you can with some effort align heads and have torque within
tolerance. Especially if you are using a good consistant material.

On Sep 24, 11:06?am, wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:13 pm, Larry wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in news:zb-dnWOzy67
:

That kind of old school craftsmanship and tradition is not found much
anymore.

Yeah, he drives 'em in with the screw gun, then leaves it against the
rachet buzzing away until the slot aligns like his boss told him
to....because they knew you'd be looking.

Wonder how many they stripped out doing this?

Head alignment is MUCH more important than proper torque, I can see.

Larry
--

With wood you can with some effort align heads and have torque within
tolerance. Especially if you are using a good consistant material.- Hide quoted text -

Particularly with Phillips heads- where you're never talking more than
1/4 turn to get a NSEW alignment of the slots.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:38:19 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Sep 24, 11:06?am, wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:13 pm, Larry wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in news:zb-dnWOzy67
:

That kind of old school craftsmanship and tradition is not found much
anymore.

Yeah, he drives 'em in with the screw gun, then leaves it against the
rachet buzzing away until the slot aligns like his boss told him
to....because they knew you'd be looking.

Wonder how many they stripped out doing this?

Head alignment is MUCH more important than proper torque, I can see.

Larry
--

With wood you can with some effort align heads and have torque within
tolerance. Especially if you are using a good consistant material.- Hide quoted text -

Particularly with Phillips heads- where you're never talking more than
1/4 turn to get a NSEW alignment of the slots.

I first learned about "indexing" screws here. I have given it some
thought. I am not impressed. I have done my share of woodwork
screwing, and made a couple attempts to "index."
I discarded it because a screw is best fastened consistently in wood
by feel. Agree it can be done more easily with a Phillips, but it is
also less evident cosmetically.
So I'll just come out and say it:
Indexing is a load of crap.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

So I'll just come out and say it:
Indexing is a load of crap.

--Vic

Tell that to the (probably elderly by now) Singapore workabee.

Eisboch