HK HK is offline

Default Three Cheers for Shimano

I have a pair of Shimano 251 baitcasters, and one of them is at least 15
years old. One of the bearings inside is getting noisy. So I sent the
reel off to Shimano in California for a redo. Got an email today...$25
for labor and $20 in parts to fix a lot of worn-out parts and a side
cover with a lovely dent in it.

The 251 is the Calcutta 250 for left-handed fisherpeople. It's a sweet
little salt water casting reel, but I believe it is now out of production.

Anyway, it is nice to know Shimano hasn't deserted this little warhorse
reel of mine.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:14:45 -0400, HK wrote:

The 251 is the Calcutta 250 for left-handed fisherpeople. It's a sweet
little salt water casting reel, but I believe it is now out of production.

Are you left handed Harry?

That might explain a few things.
Senior Member

On Sep 21, 4:55 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:14:45 -0400, HK wrote:
The 251 is the Calcutta 250 for left-handed fisherpeople. It's a sweet
little salt water casting reel, but I believe it is now out of production.

Are you left handed Harry?

That might explain a few things.

My favorite old reel is a left handed Garcia Mitchell 301. Probably 40
years old, finally retired it last year, as a matter of fact I
replaced it with a Shimano Sedona 1500, nice reel.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:14:45 -0400, HK wrote:

The 251 is the Calcutta 250 for left-handed fisherpeople. It's a sweet
little salt water casting reel, but I believe it is now out of production.

Are you left handed Harry?

That might explain a few things.

I am ambidextrous, but most of my casting reels are lefty's No need to
switch hands after casting. As to the 251, is one of my most used reels.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:31:45 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:14:45 -0400, HK wrote:

The 251 is the Calcutta 250 for left-handed fisherpeople. It's a sweet
little salt water casting reel, but I believe it is now out of production.

Are you left handed Harry?

That might explain a few things.

I am ambidextrous, but most of my casting reels are lefty's No need to
switch hands after casting. As to the 251, is one of my most used reels.

I'm left-handed, but all my spinning reels are righty. So I change
hands after casting them. My baitcasting reel is a lefty, and that's
the one I use the most, mostly cause I just prefer a baitcaster.
I've used plenty of righty "boat reels" on charters and the cranking
never bothered me except once in a 20 minute fight.
But I think the trouble was in hauling with my weak arm, not the
cranking.
Hmmm, if I move to Florida and need to get a bigger baitcaster, I'll
get a lefty.

--Vic

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:31:45 -0700, Calif Bill penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

I am ambidextrous,

Neat! So are starfish.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000775-6, 09/22/2007
Tested on: 9/22/2007 8:31:24 AM

Wouldn't that be Octodextrous?

Senior Member

On Sep 22, 12:23 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:31:45 -0700, Calif Bill penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

I am ambidextrous,

Neat! So are starfish.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000775-6, 09/22/2007
Tested on: 9/22/2007 8:31:24 AM

Wouldn't that be Octodextrous?- Hide quoted text -

That would be an Octopus, quintodexterous would be closer Of course
that all assumes the prefix "ambi" refers to the number of things that
are "dextrous" now wouldn't it?