Default Two Parkers

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:09:20 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaOGTlo0Zt2LlI

Nice. I noted chairs and TV that didn't appear to be secured.
How do you handle that in the rough?

Funny you should mention that. The boat has active stabilizer fins
that are driven by a gyroscope and hydraulic actuators. They do a
really good job of keeping the boat on an even keel in most
conditions. The down side is that they depend on forward motion to do
their job.

The first year we owned the boat we were waiting for a drawbridge
opening at Sanibel Island Causeway when a large express cruiser went
flying by leaving a 3 foot wake. That particular TV bit the dust in a
big way. Fortunately we had the carpeting down in the main cabin so
that nice teak parquet floor survived unscathed.

We have now replaced the television with a flat panel unit which is
perched on top of a satellite TV receiver and DVD player. The DVD
player is attached to the counter top with super duty velcro, and the
sat receiver and flat panel are all attached to each other with the
same velcro. So far so good after 3 years and 10,000 miles.

The chairs are usually on carpet which provides enough friction to
keep them from sliding in all but rough offshore conditions. For that
we have a long piece of 3/8ths shock cord which loops around all 4
chairs and holds everything together.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:22 pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
I don't much like the big horsey side decals, either. On any boat.
I had an 18' Robolo CC for a couple of years. The first modification I did
was to tediously remove the huge "Robolo" decals from the sides.
Unfortunately, a faint ghost image of the name decal remained, despite my
many attempts to buff it out.
Eisboch

A shark's jaw decal on the bow?

http://tinyurl.com/3ypyxx- Hide quoted text -

See, that's a nice shot. I never suggested changing any part of the
wet side of the hull, just a little curve to the shear, and tail,
that's all..Wouldn't take much, certainly could be done without
changing the fit and function at all. Anyway, don't get me wrong, one
of the things I noticed about those Parkers was how nice they seemed
to be moving in the water and how perfect of a single handed, or two
handed fishing boat it is. The four was real quiet too. They came in
not 100 yards from each other and headed for the same marina, do not
know if they were fishing together or not.

The boat is big enough in the front. If you drop the shearline, you
decrease the height of the gunnels off the deck. When you do that, you
make it more possible for ugly things to happen in terms of water coming
aboard or people falling off. This is much less of a problem, of course,
on larger boats.

wrote:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaOGTlo0Zt2LlI

Nice. I noted chairs and TV that didn't appear to be secured.
How do you handle that in the rough?

Funny you should mention that. The boat has active stabilizer fins
that are driven by a gyroscope and hydraulic actuators. They do a
really good job of keeping the boat on an even keel in most
conditions. The down side is that they depend on forward motion to do
their job.

The first year we owned the boat we were waiting for a drawbridge
opening at Sanibel Island Causeway when a large express cruiser went
flying by leaving a 3 foot wake. That particular TV bit the dust in a
big way. Fortunately we had the carpeting down in the main cabin so
that nice teak parquet floor survived unscathed.

No surprise. I think I once wrote about entering a liquor store
directly after a couple weeks in fairly rough seas. At the counter
I looked up to see floor to ceiling bottles, and for a second had a
real scare *knowing* they would crash down on me.
Hasn't happened since, but I think the "flying object" syndrome always
kicks in when I'm viewing a boat.
The "big wake" issue is the one that concerns me the most as I prepare
to boat. Of course my boat will be smaller than yours. It just seems
from reading about it - I've read examples of sailboaters out of
cockpit and topside getting pitched in the drink - that's it's the
biggest PITA for small-boaters, and unavoidable.

--Vic

You're a Narcissistic asshole.

There are other rails available for the bow...high rails. I don't like
them. I like the low rails.

If you actually did any fishing you would understand the reasoning behind
high rails

The boat is big enough in the front. If you drop the shearline, you
decrease the height of the gunnels off the deck. When you do that, you
make it more possible for ugly things to happen in terms of water coming
aboard or people falling off. This is much less of a problem, of course,
on larger boats.

You don't seem to worry about water coming over the transom- why worry about
it coming over the gunnels?

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:09:05 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I've read examples of sailboaters out of
cockpit and topside getting pitched in the drink - that's it's the
biggest PITA for small-boaters, and unavoidable.

I actually saw that happen once. Fortunately they got him back
onboard OK. Single handed could have been an entirely different
outcome. In the end it comes to situational awareness, having the
right equipment such as jack lines/harnesses/lifelines, and taking
reasonable precautions.

Small sailboats are a lot of fun but they have a number of risky
aspects other than power boat wakes that you need to be prepared for.

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:57:54 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaOGTlo0Zt2LlI

Slow boat or not.........that is a classy looking yacht!

Very nice Wayne.

Thanks, we like it. Slow is relative. It is *much* faster than any
of the sailboats that we've ever owned or sailed on, and a lot more
comfortable.

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:06:17 -0400, HK wrote:

I'll leave the stripes to the Grand Banks crowd.

Stripes?

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaOGTlo0Zt2LlI

Damn, I can't figure out which boat I want. Now if the Grand Banks only
had a stripe on it, it would be so easy.

HappyJohn wrote:
The boat is big enough in the front. If you drop the shearline, you
decrease the height of the gunnels off the deck. When you do that, you
make it more possible for ugly things to happen in terms of water coming
aboard or people falling off. This is much less of a problem, of course,
on larger boats.

You don't seem to worry about water coming over the transom- why worry about
it coming over the gunnels?

The large opening on the transom is designed to allow all the greenies
that come over the front and sides to exit easily.