Default Oh deer!

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:54:58 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Sep 5, 8:34?am, tsi-yu wrote:
They are all semi tame. Not much sport
in shooting caged bambis.

Make that BAM(!)-bye.

More and more people can live a lifetime without actually encountering
any wildlife.

Chuck, how is it you can go through life being so correct all the
time?

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/urban_w...ild_neighbors/

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlif...y_program.html

http://tinyurl.com/3bqoa4

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/603.html

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/backyard/

It's like the hatchery-trout fishery they have every spring up this
way.
They spend $millions breeding trout in state hatcheries, where for a
year or two the fish are taught to associate people with food. Even a
fish (one of the dumbest animals around) eventually learns that
responding to a certain stimulus (the presence of people) by eating
anything the people throw into the pond will result in high times and
easy livin'. They stuff these trained fish into tanker trucks and will
dump thousands upon thousands of them into a variety of lakes -many of
which are *not* really suitable trout habitat). Opening Day of fishing
season comes around, and it's elbow-to-elbow along the shorelines of
these recently stocked lakes. The Game Department usually opens the
season on a Sunday, so some of the fish haven't been fed for several
days prior and they sign the piscatoral version of the Hallelujah
Chorus when people/food appear. Little old ladies, five year old kids,
and everybody in between hauls in the poor confused fish as fast as
they can cast a hook. The fish bite worms, flies, marshmallows,
spoons, chunks of rubber or plastic, you name it. Among the highly
effective products is "Power Bait", formulated to smell and taste
exactly like the stuff the fish were trained to eat at the hatchery.
People walk around bragging about taking a "limit" of little 6-8 inch
fish. The upside is that it introduces a lot of people to fishing, and
kids in particular need to actually catch a fish in the first outing
or two or they are likely to lose enthusiasm for it. I know of serious
fishermen who deliberately *avoid* the annual madness and look for
more challenging conditions.

Um....never mind.

The feeding operation is a good observation. There didn't seem to be
any empathy expressed by the people for the deer, just training them
to depend on people for food. Send the rough tough hunter out into the
woods in his BMW SUV- but forget about the "deer call". Tell him to
start a fire, cook some bacon, and make a noise like a sandwich. The
highly conditioned "game" will walk up to within a couple of feet
looking for a handout. Even a once-a-year hunter will have a tough
time missing from 4-6 feet away.

Um...well....er...

Back here, it's a little harder.

Maybe it's because our deer aren't trained. You aren't a deer trainer
by any chance are you? Sure sound familar with the process.

Here, at least 5 blocks from open land, Bambi's daddy shows up and eats the
hibiscus on the front porch. Wife would almost let pop a deer under those
circumstances.

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:35:18 -0000, wrote:

On Sep 5, 3:27 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 5, 12:54 pm, Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:34?am, tsi-yu wrote:
They are all semi tame. Not much sport

in shooting caged bambis.

Make that BAM(!)-bye.

More and more people can live a lifetime without actually encountering
any wildlife.

On this coast, more and more wild animals are coming back. I never saw
hawks in groups of dozen or coyotes and even bears and lot's of other
animals and I spent a lot of time in the woods and fields as a kid.
Now, coyotes are quite common all over the state of CT, I have been
face to face by the lake. Bears in in NW CT, and even Fisher Cats,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

in the east are making a comback. Deer, and wild turkeys by the
score, are not uncommon in Essex, although I have not seen signs of
Fox since I have been up north, but I am sure they are still around.

I beleive hunting bans are hurting, not helping in many cases. And I
do not hunt. gut, clean, eat, sure, just don't ask me to shoot it

I'm apparently running a zoo here. I've got two coyotes, a huge fox and two
small ones, a skunk and some babies, a dozen deer, and a few turkeys (not
counting my neighbor across the street who's always trying to kill himself
with his extension ladder). I'm happy to have the skunks. I understand
they're fond of grubs, and better mousers than cats, something I witnessed
for the first time last week. Normally, they poke around the lawn at night,
moving maybe an inch every 30 seconds. But one night, I stepped out onto the
porch and a skunk came jetting out of nowhere, into the groundcover two feet
from the porch. I've never seen a skunk move that fast - like a cat. I just
stood real still until it left.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, well a frekin' skunk got my dog one day and before we knew the
dog came in the house, what a frekin' mess as she sneased and rolled
all over the place. This however was some kind of nulear skunk, it
smelled like burnt rubber more than any other skunk I had ever smelled
in my life and I an not usually that adverse to the smell of good
skunk, but that's another story, this was different, and just hurt
your nose. It took us weeks to get the smell out of everything, the
stove, carpet, my old pipe, evrything was tainted. A few weeks later
we heard squealing of brakes and as we looked outside we noticed our
"friend" was now road kill. Send us to hell, but as a family we all
stood at the window and cheered I don't care how many grubs they
eat. You can have em'.

"Crossin' the highway late last night
He shoulda looked left and he shoulda looked right
He didn't see the station wagon car
The skunk got squashed and there you are!

You got yer
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high Heaven!"

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:43:10 -0000, wrote:

On Sep 5, 3:38 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 5, 3:27 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

groups.com...

On Sep 5, 8:34?am, tsi-yu wrote:
[...]

As always, the dog was the problem.- Hide quoted text -

As always, my dog was doing exactly what I told it to do. Which in
this case was go outside for a potty. So apparently it was my fault,
so be it. I won anyway, guess there is really no justice when it comes
to skunks They should talk to my kid, I am sure she can find a lobby
group to represent them

Skunks make nice pets. I had one as a kid. It wasn't descented. It got out
of its cage (a room in the barn) and got on the neighbor's back porch. The
neighbor opened the porch door and scared the poor skunk (Blackie was its
name.) Blackie opened fire.

The neighbor called my dad. I did some heavy begging and got another
chance. So did the skunk. Within a few days, the neighbor called again.
Yup, skunk had opened fire again. This time all my begging did no good. Dad
shot the skunk.

When skunks get shot, everything inside comes outside. I got to clean up
the mess and bury Blackie. Sad day. Luckily I caught a baby pigeon within a
few days and cheered up.

That's another story...

JimH wrote:

People who feed these creatures are idiots. If they cannot find enough food
on their own and die of starvation then nature moved in to thin the herd her
way.

Wildlife experts say that anyone who feeds any wildlife are idiots
and/or so self centered that the don't care what damage they do to
wildlife so long as they get to see bambi or some other cute creatures.

Meh.

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index..../story_ID/6208

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:35:27 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:27:17 -0400, HK wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=67160&fr=yvmtf

This ought to rile up the mindless inlanders.

Deer are just 150 pound rats, fine in their natural setting but a
nuisance when the natural predators are removed or in an urban
setting. I have seen deer doing just fine in DC, right downtown eating
the flowers on the elipse.

We have a deer problem in our area due to new developments taking over their
turf. We regularly have a herd of 9-11 deer cross from our woods in the
backyard, to our front then to the other set of woods down the street. I
have asked the mayor to do something (thinning the herd with sharpshooters)
about the problem yet nothing.

People who feed these creatures are idiots. If they cannot find enough food
on their own and die of starvation then nature moved in to thin the herd her
way.

You're calling some folks here names. Not nice.

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:49:42 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to round up urban deer, etc, and
try to relocate them into some remote wilderness. I suspect that the
tame deer would have some difficulty finding food, eluding predators,
etc. Don't know, not an expert on deer or etc.

Other than Harry I don't know anyone who feeds deer in their backyard.
They are interesting to watch but almost everyone regards them as an
extreme pest. Deer eat expensive shrubbery and vegetable gardens.
They wreck cars and propagate deer ticks. They're nice to look at but
not very good neighbors.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to round up urban deer, etc, and
try to relocate them into some remote wilderness. I suspect that the
tame deer would have some difficulty finding food, eluding predators,
etc. Don't know, not an expert on deer or etc.

Other than Harry I don't know anyone who feeds deer in their backyard.
They are interesting to watch but almost everyone regards them as an
extreme pest. Deer eat expensive shrubbery and vegetable gardens.
They wreck cars and propagate deer ticks. They're nice to look at but
not very good neighbors.

Some of us have a bit of compassion towards the critters whose habitat
we are destroying. Now, if they were Republicans, hell, let them eat cake.
Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 5, 3:54 pm, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:43:10 -0000, wrote:
On Sep 5, 3:38 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 5, 3:27 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

groups.com...

On Sep 5, 8:34?am, tsi-yu wrote:
[...]

That's another story...- Hide quoted text -

Some people feed them, some people are fed by them.

I'd jsut as soon eat one than have it fly though my windshield.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:

People who feed these creatures are idiots. If they cannot find enough
food on their own and die of starvation then nature moved in to thin the
herd her way.

Wildlife experts say that anyone who feeds any wildlife are idiots and/or
so self centered that the don't care what damage they do to wildlife so
long as they get to see bambi or some other cute creatures.

we are seeing less and less Bambi's in California. Since the eco-nuts have
protected the mountain lion, they have done what cats have always done.
Make lots more cats. Now they run out of deer to eat, and take out pets and
a few hikers. We have endangered Desert Big Horn sheep. Most every
fatality of the decreaseing numbers is caused by mountain lions. Which are
not that rare here.