Default Wind Speed and Sea State Standard

Professional mariners sometimes refer to the Beaufort Scale when
describing sea state. "Force 4, 5, 6, etc"

Here's a link to a version of the scale with photos of a variety of
corresponding sea conditions. Note that the photos are of ocean swell
conditions, not specifically windwaves or chop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
Professional mariners sometimes refer to the Beaufort Scale when
describing sea state. "Force 4, 5, 6, etc"

Here's a link to a version of the scale with photos of a variety of
corresponding sea conditions. Note that the photos are of ocean swell
conditions, not specifically windwaves or chop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Wow! Is that new, Chuck? I mean, it's possible that no one here has ever
seen or heard of the Beaufort Scale.

On Sep 3, 9:57?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
Professional mariners sometimes refer to the Beaufort Scale when
describing sea state. "Force 4, 5, 6, etc"

Here's a link to a version of the scale with photos of a variety of
corresponding sea conditions. Note that the photos are of ocean swell
conditions, not specifically windwaves or chop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Wow! Is that new, Chuck? I mean, it's possible that no one here has ever
seen or heard of the Beaufort Scale.

I have to admit, it's not as compelling a post as the one you offered
featuring all the details associated with pumping your septic tank.

There seems to be a prevailing condition in the group where people are
using a variety of terms to describe sea state. In fact, it's to the
point
where certain individuals are making snide personal remarks about
difference of opinion regarding wave height, the propensity of people
to overestimate it, and the liklihood of 7-foot chop erupting on an
otherwise fairly calm day. (Specific waves and chop never seen first
hand by anybody involved in the discussion).

Enjoy your new boat. I'm sure we'll hear about every time you turn the
key. My forecast: 10 times in September, 5 times in October, on the
hard until May, and then another 40 engine hours in the following 3
years. At least that would be consistent with the last none.

Do keep the septic tank posts, the driveway posts, the handgun posts,
and the lies about your imaginary lobsta boat and the rest of your
fantasy flotilla, coming, won't you? (yes, I'm *sure* you will)

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:57?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Ten times in september sounds about right, and maybe eight times in
october would be nice. Boating weather around here becomes "iffy" in
october. I usually have boats shrinkwrapped between the second and third
week of november, and "unwrap" in April. March, typically, is still
snowy around here. I know you like to boat in crappy weather (because
that is all you have), but I don't.

I'm glad you enjoy my posts so much. They certainly contrast nicely with
so many of your spam-filled, overblown, purple-prosed know-it-all wordy
masterpieces.

Got a list of products you'll be accepted ads for in upcoming issues?
Got the ad-vertorials written already from the company PR releases?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:30:21 -0400, HK wrote:

Got a list of products you'll be accepted ads for in upcoming issues?
Got the ad-vertorials written already from the company PR releases?

Pretty silly, Harry. I've noticed nothing amiss with Chuck's posts.
Your recent glowing "Parker Reports" have been almost an advertisement
for Parker, and still appreciated.
Knowledge is a *good* thing.

--Vic

On Sep 3, 10:30?am, HK wrote:

Got a list of products you'll be accepted ads for in upcoming issues?
Got the ad-vertorials written already from the company PR releases?-

Yes, and no.

We actually have a staff of writers that produce about 80 pages of
editorial in a typical 160-page issue. Our table of contents always
includes about 20 original editorial items. Perhaps you have the
pubication confused with typical regionals that are almost entirely
advertising and normally offer only 6-10 editorial pieces. While it is
standard practice in the industry to dress up press releases as
content, we have no need to do so. Every one of our boat articles, for
example, is the result of either an actual demonstration ride aboard
the boat or at least a dockside walkthrough. We never represent that
we have been underway in a boat if we have not been. (Sadly, that is
not always the case in the boating magazine business). Running a press
release simply assures that your content will be exactly the same as
your closest lazy competitor's in any given month- not a sterling
formula for success.

We do runpress releases in the "news" section, sometimes. There's no
point reconfiguring a concise list of USCG Aux or Power Squadron
classes, for example.

I'm off to the boat. If you're going out today, better hop to it. Must
be almost 2PM back there....day's a wastin.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:30?am, HK wrote:

[...]

I'll have to look for the mag on my next visit to the northwest. I tried
finding it on the web, but was not too successful.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:57?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Orville Redenbacher's products are flying off the shelves for this thread.

Dan Dan is offline

HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:57?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

"Boats"? Give it up already.
Senior Member

On Sep 3, 12:57 pm, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
Professional mariners sometimes refer to the Beaufort Scale when
describing sea state. "Force 4, 5, 6, etc"

Here's a link to a version of the scale with photos of a variety of
corresponding sea conditions. Note that the photos are of ocean swell
conditions, not specifically windwaves or chop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Wow! Is that new, Chuck? I mean, it's possible that no one here has ever
seen or heard of the Beaufort Scale.

I have never heard of it, but that's what I get for coming here
without 40 previouis years of boating experience. Sorry, guess I broke
the rules

Wind Speed Test # 1 Scotty ASA 44 October 3rd 06 05:30 PM
Sea State as Wind Indicator Gilligan ASA 6 September 27th 06 05:06 PM
Display Wind Speed and direction on a PC Irish_Eddie Electronics 9 August 1st 05 04:33 AM
WTB: or advice on wind speed/dir indicator rick ASA 0 June 18th 04 04:26 AM
Wind Speed Meter Bobsprit ASA 4 November 20th 03 04:10 AM