Default Stiff steering on inboard ski boat

Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 88 Supra. The steering is
perfectly loose and easy to turn, right up until I engage the prop. As
soon as I turn the prop on the steering becomes very difficult. I have
inspected the cable all the way back to the rudder, can't see any
place it is binding. Is this normal? I am wondering if it is just the
rudder wanting to go straight while the prop is turning because of the
drag from the flowing water? Hoping someone can help me out here.
Thank you

Jim

"coolcamaro79" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 88 Supra. The steering is
perfectly loose and easy to turn, right up until I engage the prop. As
soon as I turn the prop on the steering becomes very difficult. I have
inspected the cable all the way back to the rudder, can't see any
place it is binding. Is this normal? I am wondering if it is just the
rudder wanting to go straight while the prop is turning because of the
drag from the flowing water? Hoping someone can help me out here.
Thank you

Jim

With the prop turning you are requiring more force to be transmitted down
the cable. Probably rusty inside. Pull it apart and check it, or just
replace it.

Is this a change? Was it easier to steer while underway before? Did it
gradually get harder to steer or all at once?

"coolcamaro79" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 88 Supra. The steering is
perfectly loose and easy to turn, right up until I engage the prop. As
soon as I turn the prop on the steering becomes very difficult. I have
inspected the cable all the way back to the rudder, can't see any
place it is binding. Is this normal? I am wondering if it is just the
rudder wanting to go straight while the prop is turning because of the
drag from the flowing water? Hoping someone can help me out here.
Thank you

Jim

Alternative power plant for inboard jet boat Nick Boat Building 4 June 20th 06 05:49 PM
Boat engine inboard 20HP Universal A-2 sticky valve? Terry Spragg General 0 September 17th 04 03:06 PM
Looking for 20ft or smaller inboard diesel boat or boston whaler alert 15 Ratliff Logging and Management General 3 June 2nd 04 07:46 PM
Stiff helm? John Cairns ASA 33 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
Stiff steering on Johnson 15hp Lloyd Sumpter General 1 July 11th 03 12:22 AM