BoatBanter.com

-   -   Stiff steering on inboard ski boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/85357-stiff-steering-inboard-ski-boat.html)

coolcamaro79 August 23rd 07 12:38 AM

Stiff steering on inboard ski boat

Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 88 Supra. The steering is
perfectly loose and easy to turn, right up until I engage the prop. As
soon as I turn the prop on the steering becomes very difficult. I have
inspected the cable all the way back to the rudder, can't see any
place it is binding. Is this normal? I am wondering if it is just the
rudder wanting to go straight while the prop is turning because of the
drag from the flowing water? Hoping someone can help me out here.
Thank you

Jim

Calif Bill August 23rd 07 03:04 AM

Stiff steering on inboard ski boat

"coolcamaro79" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 88 Supra. The steering is
perfectly loose and easy to turn, right up until I engage the prop. As
soon as I turn the prop on the steering becomes very difficult. I have
inspected the cable all the way back to the rudder, can't see any
place it is binding. Is this normal? I am wondering if it is just the
rudder wanting to go straight while the prop is turning because of the
drag from the flowing water? Hoping someone can help me out here.
Thank you

Jim

With the prop turning you are requiring more force to be transmitted down
the cable. Probably rusty inside. Pull it apart and check it, or just
replace it.

jamesgangnc August 23rd 07 01:25 PM

Stiff steering on inboard ski boat

Is this a change? Was it easier to steer while underway before? Did it
gradually get harder to steer or all at once?