Default Advice on buying first Cruiser

We are not new to boating by any means but we are newbies when it
comes to cruisers.
We are not looking to buy for about 3 years, I am currently doing my
homework.
We are interested in a 30' to 34' Hardtop.
Our budget will allow for a late 1980's or older.
I like the layout of the old Trojans and Catalina's.
When do we start looking for a slip seriously.
Do we get on a waiting list before we buy a boat?
Don't really want to buy a boat then not be able to use it.
I do plan on a USCG or Power Squadron Course before buying.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 06:10:07 -0700, crystalguy
wrote:

We are not new to boating by any means but we are newbies when it
comes to cruisers.
We are not looking to buy for about 3 years, I am currently doing my
homework.

Smart.

We are interested in a 30' to 34' Hardtop.

Might want to take a look at Uniflite. Some of the Uniflite boats had
blister problems, but the ones that have been maintained properly are
true gems in the used cruiser market.

Our budget will allow for a late 1980's or older.
I like the layout of the old Trojans and Catalina's.

Then you will like Uniflites.

When do we start looking for a slip seriously.

Depends where you live and what the situation is. You might have to
get on a waiting list. A smart idea might be to obtain a slip early,
then arrange to have it sub-let until you have your boat.

I do plan on a USCG or Power Squadron Course before buying.

Smart.

Where will using the boat? That'll affect what sort of effort is necessary
to arrange a slip. Some places have plenty, some places are considerably
more expensive. It varies quite a lot.

If you're going to buy a used boat be ready for lots of sudden expenses.
But as long as it's surveyed PROPERLY before the purchase it shouldn't be
too problematic. Run away from fixer-uppers as you'll spend more than
you'll ever get back out of it.

The safety class is an excellent idea. Get your spouse/partner/whatever to
go along with you. It helps when more than one person onboard knows some of
the basics. Also consider joining a local USPS chapter, if just to talk to
the fellow members about what local boating entails.

On Aug 12, 9:58 am, "Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:
[...]

We live in Central Michigan and would like a slip in the ludington
area but would consider any area on Lake Michigan

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:03:15 -0700, crystalguy
wrote:

We live in Central Michigan and would like a slip in the ludington
area but would consider any area on Lake Michigan

There are a bunch of the ever popular Trojan F32s for sale, including
one in Grand Haven which is a nice harbor. With a little negotiating
you might be able to get the slip space along with the boat.

http://tinyurl.com/yrsuzu

Advice on buying my first sailboat Can't wait to sail ASA 4 August 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Buying this cruiser tomorrow Dene Cruising 7 October 28th 05 05:24 AM
Need Buying Advice CP General 3 August 15th 05 07:13 PM
newbie buying a used cruiser-what size best? Trevor General 18 March 16th 04 05:25 PM
Easing wife's fears about buying a cruiser Matt General 16 October 15th 03 12:37 AM