HK HK is offline

Default Locating a transducer...

The new boat I'm thinking of buying is a deep vee. At the bottom of the
vee, as it were, is a small flat "pad." The pad serves several functions
which I won't get into here.

Thus, if you look at the stern of the boat from outside the hull, you
see a shape sort of like this:

\_/

The pad is about three inches wide. On the inside of the boat, a piece
of marine ply is epoxied to the fiberglass hull, and then the ply is
fiberglassed. Attached to the fiberglass is the bilge pump and its float.

There is room right there to drill through the hull bottom and install
a straight shooting down fishfinder/depthfinder/temp gauge transducer.
We'd make the ply circle hole a bit larger than the transducer and then
epoxy the ply edges, just for insurance.

The question is this: would a through hull like this be "mo' betta'"
than the usual stern mount transducer in terms of accuracy? There are
several transducers available that barely protrude from the bottom, so I
am not worried about interfering with the stream of water hitting the
engine's lower unit under water. Do through hull transducers tend to
fail at a higher rate than transom mounts? Are there other
considerations I should ponder?

Price is not an issue: there's really not much difference in pricing
between a good transom mount and the through hull.

Thanks.

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:22:49 -0400, HK wrote:

Price is not an issue: there's really not much difference in pricing
between a good transom mount and the through hull.

As long as the transducer makes contact with clean water, there is no
difference between the two systems. The key is to keep the transducer
in the water flow and not where air and foam can interrupt the sonar
signal.

It's really a matter of appearance.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:22:49 -0400, HK wrote:

Price is not an issue: there's really not much difference in pricing
between a good transom mount and the through hull.

As long as the transducer makes contact with clean water, there is no
difference between the two systems. The key is to keep the transducer
in the water flow and not where air and foam can interrupt the sonar
signal.

It's really a matter of appearance.

Ahh. Good. I'm leaning towards the through hull, to avoid wires on the
transom.

HK wrote:
Are there other considerations I should ponder?

These days, I assume my boat will outlast its electronics so I try to
avoid major surgery or permanent type mountings if I can. In fact, I
have an old through hull transducer, no longer in use, that I'll have
to remove at some point, leaving a rather large hole to repair.

Just a thought.

Rick

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:22:49 -0400, HK wrote:

Price is not an issue: there's really not much difference in pricing
between a good transom mount and the through hull.

As long as the transducer makes contact with clean water, there is no
difference between the two systems. The key is to keep the transducer
in the water flow and not where air and foam can interrupt the sonar
signal.

It's really a matter of appearance.

I have heard that it is tougher to get clean water with a transom mount.
I have always just shot thru the glass, because it is only a depth
finder, and not a fish finder, I have never had a problem. The first
time I did this, my marina told me they shot fish finders thru the hull,
and as long as there are not voids in the fiberglass (ie solid glass)
they never have problems shooting thru the glass.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:28:55 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

[...]

My Ranger has a very odd transom and I don't have a problem with clean
water - even in turns. It's all in how you set it up.

Through glass is never going to be as sensitive and, although it's not
happened to me, can distort the returning echo giving a false depth
reading. Note that it's never happened to me.

Depth Finder Doesn't Work- New Information frank1492 Electronics 18 July 18th 06 01:51 AM
Depth transducer engsol Electronics 2 June 18th 05 07:56 PM
Eagle Depth Finder Transducer Problems Fred Reyes General 5 June 23rd 04 11:49 PM
Depth sounder transducer question Wethead Cruising 9 March 16th 04 11:17 PM
Depthsounder and Transducer test equipment Rusty Burke Electronics 0 October 29th 03 01:42 AM