engsol

Default Depth transducer

I just bought a new ST-40 depth system. The instructions call for locating the
transducer so that it's within 10 degrees of vertical. Looking at the bottom of
my boat, I really don't see any place to mount it....short of boring a hole dead
center of the hull forward of the fin keel, which I'm loath to do.

As an alternative, the instructions suggest making an epoxy "step" to mount
the transducer. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Norm B
Dennis Pogson

engsol wrote:
I just bought a new ST-40 depth system. The instructions call for
locating the transducer so that it's within 10 degrees of vertical.
Looking at the bottom of my boat, I really don't see any place to
mount it....short of boring a hole dead center of the hull forward of
the fin keel, which I'm loath to do.

As an alternative, the instructions suggest making an epoxy "step" to
mount
the transducer. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Norm B

This used to be done on wooden boats by making a wedge to give a flat plane
to mount the transducer on. It works equally well with glassfibre., Make it
so that the transducer is flush with the face of the "step".

shipyard

Many marine dealers install in hull transducers by creating a pocket of
silicone or epoxy for the transduter to sit on causing it to sit as
level as possible. I have only seen it done once in a ranger 18' bass
boat with a through-hull fish/depth finder. The owner claimed it works
great but can't verify.

--
shipyard- http://www.hookandsinker.com - The Sportfishermen's choice for fishing news, over 500+ maps, over 7,000+ schematics, and even these newsgroups are available online!

Depth Transducer Location for Four Winns Vista 378 alexinbalt General 0 June 6th 05 07:35 PM
Depth transducer bing2005 Electronics 1 March 23rd 05 05:55 PM
Eagle Depth Finder Transducer Problems Fred Reyes General 5 June 23rd 04 11:49 PM
Depth sounder transducer question Wethead Cruising 9 March 16th 04 11:17 PM
depth finder transducer frequency question RB Electronics 23 January 15th 04 06:25 PM