Default Emergency Oil Pan Repair Needed

I have an '88 Grady White with a 4.3L OMC Cobra (I believe
this is a Chevy Engine- 6 cyl.) The pan has developed a leak
right on time for the holidays and I have no chance of getting
it replaced now.
The hole area appears to be at the end of the engine facing
aft and is accessable. I am tempted to drain all the oil out, sand
the area well and try a fiberglass patch. Any chance this will
work?
Or how about JB weld?
Thanks. Frank.

Ed Ed is offline

The screw sounds easy!!! Use a rubber washer as well.
If is it larger, I have had luck with Marinetex. The key is CLEAN
oiless sanded work space... Cover with marinetex about 4 times the size
of the patch area... cover with fiberglass mat, cover with more
marinetex. JB weld can also work. Again.. patch it once with the
chemical, cover with with glass matt and recover with more chemical.

"frank1492" wrote in message

I have an '88 Grady White with a 4.3L OMC Cobra (I believe
this is a Chevy Engine- 6 cyl.) The pan has developed a leak
right on time for the holidays and I have no chance of getting
it replaced now.
The hole area appears to be at the end of the engine facing
aft and is accessable. I am tempted to drain all the oil out, sand
the area well and try a fiberglass patch. Any chance this will
work?
Or how about JB weld?
Thanks. Frank.

It is a pinhole opening I am sure but the surrounding metal is shot
over a space the size of a quarter or larger. I had thought of using a
screw with a rubber washer, but since the surrounding metal is in such
poor condition, I was afraid the screw might pop out sending a stream
of hot oil with it until I lost all 5 quarts in the bilge!
I think I will go with the JB weld/ Marinetex idea plus
fiberglass as Ed suggested. Or maybe a screw first? Or screws later to
secure the patch (all in sound metal.) Or a brace against the pan over
the patch.
Thanks all. I think I know what to try. Will let you know.
Frank

"frank1492" wrote in message

I have an '88 Grady White with a 4.3L OMC Cobra (I believe
this is a Chevy Engine- 6 cyl.) The pan has developed a leak
right on time for the holidays and I have no chance of getting
it replaced now.
The hole area appears to be at the end of the engine facing
aft and is accessable. I am tempted to drain all the oil out, sand
the area well and try a fiberglass patch. Any chance this will
work?
Or how about JB weld?
Thanks. Frank.

Tim Tim is offline

frank1492 wrote:
It is a pinhole opening I am sure but the surrounding metal is shot
over a space the size of a quarter or larger. I had thought of using a
screw with a rubber washer, but since the surrounding metal is in such
poor condition, I was afraid the screw might pop out sending a stream
of hot oil with it until I lost all 5 quarts in the bilge!

I was just curious at how the oil pan got in such miserable shape...

I had no time to wait for the JB Weld to cure. My solution was a
combined approach- sheet metal screw with rubber washer, then
a sploch of Bondo over the rotted area, then 4X6 fiberglass cloth
with resin. So far so good.
Thanks all for your advice!
Frank

"frank1492" wrote in message

I have an '88 Grady White with a 4.3L OMC Cobra (I believe
this is a Chevy Engine- 6 cyl.) The pan has developed a leak
right on time for the holidays and I have no chance of getting
it replaced now.
The hole area appears to be at the end of the engine facing
aft and is accessable. I am tempted to drain all the oil out, sand
the area well and try a fiberglass patch. Any chance this will
work?
Or how about JB weld?
Thanks. Frank.- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't risk screwing the engine up by doing anything but an oil
pan change. I know it's not easy, but with one of those shop mirrors
you should be able to see the bolts, I'd use a fair amount of sealant,
and paint the pan well before installing it.

Good luck

John

Boat repair questions answers found here URL Michael Cruising 0 April 7th 05 06:56 PM
mast repair Roger Derby Boat Building 4 February 17th 05 09:23 PM
Trailer Repair work needed in Austin, TX GSS General 2 January 3rd 05 02:41 PM
Datamarine link 5000 display? WTB or Repair Mihow Boat Building 0 December 10th 04 02:51 AM
Datamarine link 5000 display? WTB or Repair Mihow General 0 December 10th 04 02:51 AM