Default What engine is this?

On Jun 14, 8:00 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
THAT is definitely NOT a ford or Chrysler with those small block Chevy 4
bolt valve covers. BUT the front distributor IS a mystery.

I can't tell if they're 4 bolt or 6 bolt. Pic is too small, but they do
look like Chevy or Buick covers, and not the Ford shape...

Now I'm looking at intake, it does not have the Ford shaped runners.

Rob

Well open the picture in your default picture viewer program and click
the "+" symbol. It shouldn't get grainier

On Jun 15, 5:38 am, trainfan1 wrote:
wrote:
Hey guys. I have a 28 ft 1970s SlickCraft with a GM engine (don't ask
which kind. I or everyone I talk to can't figure that out). What
kind of engine is this? [IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/
holmquistc/IMG_0175.jpg[/IMG]brbr[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/
albums/b71/holmquistc/IMG_0174.jpg[/IMG]

Also, do you guys have a firing engine for this? Thanks! aim,
chrisgholmquist

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0175.jpg

These are just too small. The distributor is a Prestolite.

Post some larger pictures, and tell us what makes you think it is a GM
engine.

Give all casting numbers or part numbers you can see.

Are the rocker covers 4 bolt or 6?

A side view of the cylinder heads would help, as well as a front-on view
of the timing cover.

Rob

Ok, I'll take some bigger pictures later tonight. So take a look for
those. I know for sure its a GM because one of the guys that we had
come by to look at this found a huge GM logo on the front of the
engine.

On Jun 16, 7:33 am, Tim wrote:
Frank from Deeetroit wrote:

Looks like a smallblock chevy that is installed with the front of the engine
facing to the rear of the boat. The water pump and belts look like they are
mounted on the back of the engine and the drive shaft would be connected to
the front of the engine.

That's what I was thinking. a'la Chris craft.

Chris' Dad here. Mr. Slikk was with Chris Craft before he started his
own brand, SlickCraft. Makes sense that he would use the same engine
layout and maybe the same supplier of engines. Here are more
pictures. The two engines look identical, but the chrome valve covers
and automatic choke indicate a later rebuild in San Diego, at
Aquamarine. The casting numbers on the block say GM and the numbers
indicate either a 327 cid or 350 cid. The 4bbl. carb is on both
engines, as are Mallory distributor, cap, coil. The belt drives in
"front" turn in opposite directions on the two engines. The two props
and shafts are direct and have no U-joints. So the mounts cant the
engine to the rear in line with the prop shafts. The valve covers
have four bolts. We have removed and reamed out the two exhaust
crossovers, which were indeed cruddy inside. The carb air cleaners
are the flame-arrestor type required on boats. This engine turns over
slowly when starting. The other starts right up on the same four
batteries.

Question: Where's the flywheel, and where's #1 cylinder? The rebuilt
engine has #1 marked on the distributor cap at the sp wire going to
right rear cylinder. If i have reverse rotation, will the #1 cylinder
be in front? Will the firing order be the same on both engines? The
rotors turn in the same direction, clockwise, on both.

Thanks a lot for your information!
RevDave

Today i take out the two-year-old gasoline and put fresh gas in.
Should help us.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0181.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0180.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0178.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0177.jpg

Apparently photobucket makes the files smaller. I took them in a
large format. The only thing I can tell you is to open them in your
computer's default image viewer program, and just enlarge it from
there.

wrote:
On Jun 16, 7:33 am, Tim wrote:
Frank from Deeetroit wrote:

[...]

They should.

The two props
and shafts are direct and have no U-joints. So the mounts cant the
engine to the rear in line with the prop shafts. The valve covers
have four bolts. We have removed and reamed out the two exhaust
crossovers, which were indeed cruddy inside. The carb air cleaners
are the flame-arrestor type required on boats. This engine turns over
slowly when starting. The other starts right up on the same four
batteries.

Question: Where's the flywheel, and where's #1 cylinder?

Chevy 350's they are then.

The flywheel is at the distributor end of both engines. Cyl #1 is the
right rear of the flywheel-fore engine, & left front of the flywheel-aft
engine.

The rebuilt
engine has #1 marked on the distributor cap at the sp wire going to
right rear cylinder. If i have reverse rotation, will the #1 cylinder
be in front? Will the firing order be the same on both engines? The
rotors turn in the same direction, clockwise, on both.

If one engine is turned around, both engines will be the same rotation.

The firing order, which should be cast into the intake manifolds, for
the chevy small block V8 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Rob

Thanks a lot for your information!
RevDave

Today i take out the two-year-old gasoline and put fresh gas in.
Should help us.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0181.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0180.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0178.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...c/IMG_0177.jpg

Apparently photobucket makes the files smaller. I took them in a
large format. The only thing I can tell you is to open them in your
computer's default image viewer program, and just enlarge it from
there.

Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
rough engine intermittent Charles T. Low General 17 August 4th 05 11:10 AM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
Warm engine stalls at idle. -LONG Harvey Arkawy General 7 August 4th 04 02:57 AM
Visiting my new engine! Gould 0738 General 8 November 15th 03 04:53 AM