Default marine paints?

I bought a 1988 bayliner & the 12" wide stripe around it is chipped pretty bad. I am guessing someone painted it with the wrong type of paint over the years. I want to repaint it. I live in central Indiana & there aren't any marinas locally. Is there a certain type of paint I should use? brands recommended or that I should stay away from? Can I buy it online? I assume it would be an epoxy based type. I'd also like to paint the black I/O outside the boat it's also pretty faded. thanks! all tips are appreciated!

Rob

Use an epoxy based paint -- prep work is most important; especially if it's been
painted before.

The outdrive, since you're indiana; doesn't get much marine growth; but whatever
you do; don't use "bottom paint" there's special expensive outdrive paint.

longshot wrote:
I bought a 1988 bayliner & the 12" wide stripe around it is chipped
pretty bad. I am guessing someone painted it with the wrong type of
paint over the years. I want to repaint it. I live in central Indiana &
there aren't any marinas locally. Is there a certain type of paint I
should use? brands recommended or that I should stay away from? Can I
buy it online? I assume it would be an epoxy based type. I'd also like
to paint the black I/O outside the boat it's also pretty faded. thanks!
all tips are appreciated!

Rob

You will need to remove the old paint and prep the surface before
applying the new paint. Pettit Paint,Interlux and Awlgrip all make
great paint, and if you review their web sites they probably all have
detailed instructions or an 800 number to call to ask specific
questions. You can order all of them online from stores such as West
Marine.

On Jun 5, 5:09?am, "longshot" wrote:
I bought a 1988 bayliner & the 12" wide stripe around it is chipped pretty bad. I am guessing someone painted it with the wrong type of paint over the years. I want to repaint it. I live in central Indiana & there aren't any marinas locally. Is there a certain type of paint I should use? brands recommended or that I should stay away from? Can I buy it online? I assume it would be an epoxy based type. I'd also like to paint the black I/O outside the boat it's also pretty faded. thanks! all tips are appreciated!

Rob

Are you going to repaint the entire boat? What size is your 1988
Bayliner.

Painting just the stripe will accent the aged condition of the
adjacent gelcoat.

The best marine paints for use above the waterline are two-part
polyurethanes; you have to mix the paint with a catalyst (hardener)
before application. This can be pretty tricky for an amatuer and the
material is best applied with a sprayer so a complete moon suit with
decent respirator and an enclosed but ventilated work area are
important. Few people spray their own two-part polys, most hire it
done.

You can roll and tip two-part poly, and optimists like to believe that
the results are almost as good as the spray. Roll and tip is a
technique where the paint is initially applied with a paint roller and
then lightly feathered with a brush.

For most of us who want to tackle a paint job on the topsides, there
are some fairly good one-part polys available that are somewhat easier
to work with. The "Brightside" brand is one that I have used in the
past to paint boot stripes and (what you're describing) a whale
stripe. Painting with Brightside is like using a very high quality
enamel. It can be done with a brush and is pretty forgiving,
particularly if you use a couple of light coats and don't slap it on
so thickly that you get sags and runs on the vertical areas.

Rule of thumb, if you haven't spent at least 10 times the amount of
time prepping as you are going to spend painting- you're not ready to
paint.
The prep work is the most important part of the job.

If you plan to keep the boat for a while you might want to look into
having a professional paint the entire boat. It might cost as much or
more to do so than a 20-year old Bayliner is worth, but you'll have
the nicest one anywhere around. Like most things boat related, the
expense wouldn't make any real sense, but if (only if) you expect to
own the boat for several more years and want to take some pride in it
in the meantime painting an older boat can be worth it. You'll get a
small portion of the painting price back at resale time, but not
enough to justify spending the money, from a purely financial
perspective, in the first place.

I had my boat painted last year with a paint made in Germany. A group
of executives that left US Paint, (Awlgrip), contracted with
Manckiewicz (spelling) to brew this stuff up. It's called Alexseal.
The results were fabulous. The only downside is that almost a year
later an no matter where I go in the boat somebody will walk up and
insist on conversing about my "brand new" boat, ("Who's building
boats with all that teak on the extrior these days?" etc). My brand
new boat was built 6 years before yours. :-)

If you plan to keep the boat for a while you might want to look into
having a professional paint the entire boat. It might cost as much or
more to do so than a 20-year old Bayliner is worth, but you'll have
the nicest one anywhere around. Like most things boat related, the
expense wouldn't make any real sense, but if (only if) you expect to
own the boat for several more years and want to take some pride in it
in the meantime painting an older boat can be worth it. You'll get a
small portion of the painting price back at resale time, but not
enough to justify spending the money, from a purely financial
perspective, in the first place.

Its a 1952 (about 18 actual feet). The stripe is about 6" wide on either
side of the bumper molding. I had every intention of painting it a glossy
blue with a 2" wide brush & trying not to leave any drips. :-)! pretty much
anything I do will look better than the flaking chipped up auto paint on it
now! I paid a little over 3k for it & plan on using it for many years.
There's not enough water around central Indiana or enough time in my
schedule to justify much more then that.

On Jun 5, 10:27?am, "longshot" wrote:
[...]

Do check out the Brightside one-part poly. That's the easiest to use
and should prove adequate for your intended purpose. :-)

West Marine is Terrible nobody Cruising 47 January 28th 06 03:02 PM
FS; Custom Marine Grade LCD Displays PD Boat Building 0 January 4th 06 09:47 AM
FS; Custom Marine Grade LCD Displays PD General 0 January 4th 06 09:47 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM