Joe Joe is offline

Default Twin engine docking

I am new to boating and would like to get some opinions on docking and
how it "should" be done. I have a Wellcraft 270 Coastal with twin
Evinrude 200's.

-When docking (perpendicular) should I be steering the boat when
maneuvering or using the engines to spin the boat 90 degrees? I'm having
a hard time with spinning it and keeping it where it needs to be. ARG!!!
So far every time I've tried to spin it I've had to abandon that effort
and steer it in. It works but I don't want to get accustom to doing that
if it's actually easier to use the engines.

ANY helpful advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

"Joe" wrote in message
link.net...
I am new to boating and would like to get some opinions on docking and how
it "should" be done. I have a Wellcraft 270 Coastal with twin Evinrude
200's.

-When docking (perpendicular) should I be steering the boat when
maneuvering or using the engines to spin the boat 90 degrees? I'm having a
hard time with spinning it and keeping it where it needs to be. ARG!!!
So far every time I've tried to spin it I've had to abandon that effort
and steer it in. It works but I don't want to get accustom to doing that
if it's actually easier to use the engines.

ANY helpful advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Interesting question. I'm just lurking here, so I'll tag on another question
that might be related. Inboards, even when in neutral, exert some force on
the boat that can be used to move in a certain direction. Do outboards do
this?

"Joe" wrote in message
link.net...
I am new to boating and would like to get some opinions on docking and how
it "should" be done. I have a Wellcraft 270 Coastal with twin Evinrude
200's.

-When docking (perpendicular) should I be steering the boat when
maneuvering or using the engines to spin the boat 90 degrees? I'm having a
hard time with spinning it and keeping it where it needs to be. ARG!!!
So far every time I've tried to spin it I've had to abandon that effort
and steer it in. It works but I don't want to get accustom to doing that
if it's actually easier to use the engines.

ANY helpful advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Think in terms of a bicycle handlebar.........turn left and your left hand
(port engine controls) pulls down (reverse) or towards you on the handlebar,
right hand (starboard engine) up (forward) or away from you......turn right
and your left hand pushes up (forward on the port engine) and your right
hand down (reverse on the starboard engine)..........all the time with both
engines in idle and the wheel in the forward (straight ahead position) and
not touching the wheel.

When I would stern in with our larger boat (with twins) I would slowly go
past the slip (on the starboard side) while centering the wheel and engines
at idle, put port in reverse while bumping starboard in and out of forward
or reverse as I needed to adjust my position. When finalizing the approach
and parallel to the slip I would nudge both engines in and then out of
forward to stop the boats reverse progress.

This worked for me.
This worked for me

On May 30, 2:49?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Inboards, even when in neutral, exert some force on
the boat that can be used to move in a certain direction.

Where did you ever get such an idea?

Take it back for a refund. :-)

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Not to be picky, but if you're going at any speed on your bicycle and pull
the left handlebar towards you, you will turn right.

Push left, go left. Push right, go right. Just the opposite of a tricycle.

Huh?

On May 30, 2:49?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

link.net...

[...]

Sounds like you're approaching the dock at almost a 90 degree angle,
and then trying to make a 90 degree turn to put your port or starboard
side against the dock or float?

Many boaters rely almost exclusively on the engines when docking a
twin engine boat under normal conditions.

Don't forget to visualize your "pivot point" which will be about
halfway between your bow and your stern on most twin engine vessels.

Also, you could easily find yourself moving ahead of the spot where
you hope to pivot when you put one engine in forward and the other in
reserse. The reason for this is that the prop works a lot more
efficiently in forward than in reverse, so if you want the reverse
side to come back at the same speed that the forward side is going
ahead you will need to use a bit more throttle on the reverse engine.

You might try approaching the dock at less of an angle than
"perpendicular" -unless you have very strong wind blowing you
directly off the dock and in that case the closer to perpendicular the
better. Try something closer to about 30-35 degrees. As you get close
to the dock use your twins to "pivot" the bow out a bit so that it
doesn't wack anything and that will of course also pivot your stern
toward the dock.Remember that momentum will continue to carry your
boat toward the dock as you pivot, closing the "gap" that would
otherwise exist between the side of your boat and the dock.

Don't approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it.

Don't be afraid to back off and go around again. (Just as I had to do
last weekend when a gust of wind blew up at the wrong moment.....)

Don't expect to be really good at this without a lot of practice, but
you can become passably capable in an afternoon.

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
[...]

John Herring is a boatless bitter old man who obviously has no experience
with twin engines or bicycles. It is best to ignore him.

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Oh my! You sniffin' the wife's nail polish again? Shame on you!

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

Push left, go left. Push right, go right. Just the opposite of a
tricycle.

Huh?

He's correct. Same on a motorcycle. Push the left handle forward, the
bike will make a left turn. Push the right handle forward, bike turns to
the right.

Try it sometime.

Eisboch

On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:20:52 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Electric trolling motors Bob S Boat Building 7 February 3rd 07 03:20 PM
305 c.i.d. HP topic usafhg General 8 October 9th 06 07:57 PM
Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Skiing behind twin engine boat? HotRod General 9 July 5th 05 09:32 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM