Senior Member

Default Should I buy this Boston Whaler

Found a 84 13 1/2 foot Boston Whaler today. Galvanized cox trailer, 28
horse mid 80's engine, very clean. All three pieces supposedly owned
by guy and his dad and brother. Everything looks origional, well kept,
engine looks very well tended. the guy wants 2000, I offered him 16
and he did not run me out.

What do you think? I would probably keep the Brockway for bigger water
and camping, but this one might be fun for pulling the kids around,
easier for me to take single handed fishing, and of course, a lot
faster without sacrificing too much gas.

Any Ideas on how fast this boat should go with the 28 and how much gas
I would use running around a big lake all day? Thanks in advance, I
love the look of the hulls on these things, tough to do out of wood.

Physically I am getting a little old to be horseing the Brockway
around by myself too much longer. I should note, I do most of my water
sport/drink/fish in fresh water, trailer boating.

Senior Member

On May 27, 8:52 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 27 May 2007 17:47:50 -0700, wrote:

Found a 84 13 1/2 foot Boston Whaler today. Galvanized cox trailer, 28
horse mid 80's engine, very clean. All three pieces supposedly owned
by guy and his dad and brother. Everything looks origional, well kept,
engine looks very well tended. the guy wants 2000, I offered him 16
and he did not run me out.

That's about right. I have some experience with this particular model
boat and the problems it can have. It's probably a "sport" right?

It's a good messing around boat if that's what you want.

I'd be glad to bring my engine testing gear and look the boat over for
you if you want.

A second eyeball can sometimes help.

If I decide to do it I will take you up on it. I told the guy the sale
would be contingint on a quick run around Crystal Lake (Stafford) and
of course he would have to accept my offer. Still don't know which way
to go with my boating, I do know I need to adjust or I won't be doing
much. I might spend the money powering up my current boat which might
better suit my needs, but that Whaler just looks sooooo fun sitting
there, so easy to haul around, and great for fishing. Errrrr, I just
can't decide.

Senior Member

On May 27, 9:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

can't decide.- Hide quoted text -

I have a nice Brockway 16. High sides, nice swim ladder lots of room.
I think if I could get that on plane, I would be happy with it, right
now I have hull speed all day long, but no faster. Do you think a 25
would get it going (I have one but I would need to do some work on it)
or do I need to go 40-50 horse. For those of you not familiar, a
Brockway is a 16 foot by 7 foot flat bottom pointy skiff about 450
pounds bare hull.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What?? At $1600 I'd buy it as a dinghy for my 19' sailboat. Up here they'd
want at least twice that...if you could find one.

Senior Member

On May 28, 11:54 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On 27 May 2007 18:33:43 -0700, wrote:

I have a nice Brockway 16. High sides, nice swim ladder lots of room.
I think if I could get that on plane, I would be happy with it, right
now I have hull speed all day long, but no faster. Do you think a 25
would get it going (I have one but I would need to do some work on it)
or do I need to go 40-50 horse.

That's a big heavy boat for a 25, don't think it would plane with even
one person a board, certainly not with two or three. A 50 would be
more reasonable in my experience.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I am getting closer to buying the
Whaler, I can get it for less than most used 50 horse engines I have
seen on line so far just price shoping, Still would keep the Brockway,
it is quite a tool for fishing, swimming, cruising, camping etc. I may
post some pics later if anyone is interested.

Senior Member

On May 28, 12:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

I hate buyers too

On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Senior Member

On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home

Virginia Tech shooting - attn: Wilbur Peter Hendra Cruising 46 April 18th 07 09:12 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Saltwater Boat Group (Boston Whaler, Sea Pro, Sea Boss, and Palmetto) NOYB General 22 January 5th 05 08:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Boat Building 1 March 22nd 04 03:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Cruising 0 March 22nd 04 06:16 AM