NOYB

Default Sal****er Boat Group (Boston Whaler, Sea Pro, Sea Boss, and Palmetto)

Brunswick announced today it has acquired Sea Pro Boats, Inc., and Sea Boss
Boats, LLC, of Newberry, S.C., the makers of the Sea Pro, Palmetto and Sea
Boss brands of sal****er fishing boats. The Sea Pro, Sea Boss and Palmetto
brands will join with Brunswick's Boston Whaler to form a new Sal****er Boat
Group.
Michael W. Myers, currently president of Boston Whaler, will head up the new
business unit, and will report directly to Dustan E. McCoy, president of the
Brunswick Boat Group. The Sal****er Boat Group, will be based in Edgewater,
Florida.

McCoy commented that Mike Myers was "a 17-year veteran of the boating
industry," and has done "an excellent job of solidifying the reputation and
raising the profile of Boston Whaler, one of the most prominent brands in
boating. With the combination of the well-known and respected Sea Pro, Sea
Boss and Palmetto brands, a stalwart management team and a dedicated
organization focusing on sal****er, the Brunswick Boat Group will now have a
more meaningful presence in offshore fishing, and a more complete and potent
line-up for our dealers."

I don't know if this is good or bad. I don't like the fact that there are
now 3 more boat lines that will only be offered with Mercs.

Lamont Cranston

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:17:11 -0500, "NOYB" wrote:

[...]

It's a sign of the times - how about all the boat manufacturers that
Yamaha has made deals with for exclusive installations. It's actually
getting to the point where an engine manufacturer has to have an
available boat line to market their engines.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
[...]

SeaPro is a pretty decent line of low-to-mid priced salt water boat. The
company has modern factories and good QC. I agree, though, that buyers
should be able to purchase a boat with the engine of their choice. When I
bought our Parker, my choice with the model I wanted was Yamaha. I would
have preferred two 150 hp Merc FI's

There's nothing wrong with Mercs. However, after 110 trouble-free hours on
a Suzuki 250 Four-stroke, I'd opt for Suzuki motors if I were buying a new
boat. My brother has nearly 300 hours on a Suzuki 140 four-stroke without
any problems either.

First, Merc whines that they're losing money because of Japanese dumping.
Now, they pony up $51 million to buy three boat lines. It sure makes you
wonder if they were really losing money...or if they just wanted to raise
the price of outboards in order to raise more cash to buy more boat lines.

NOYB

"Lamont Cranston" wrote in message
It's actually
getting to the point where an engine manufacturer has to have an
available boat line to market their engines.

It reached that point long ago when Yamaha acquired Century and Cobia just
so they'd have some boats to hang their newer motors on.

The boat business is getting like the car business. You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

Eisboch

"NOYB" wrote in message

You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

No, but you used to be able to buy a Buick or Caddy with a Chevy engine.

Eisboch

Lamont Cranston

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 03:24:19 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message

You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

No, but you used to be able to buy a Buick or Caddy with a Chevy engine.

You are as older than dirt aren't you?

Then again, so am I. :)
Lamont Cranston

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:27:46 -0500, "NOYB" wrote:

"Lamont Cranston" wrote in message
.. .
It's actually
getting to the point where an engine manufacturer has to have an
available boat line to market their engines.

It reached that point long ago when Yamaha acquired Century and Cobia just
so they'd have some boats to hang their newer motors on.

The boat business is getting like the car business. You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

Bombardier tried it with the Hydra Sports/Fish Hawk line, but it
failed miserably. I've heard rumors that they are going to try again
with a completely new design.

The one nice deal with my Contender was that it came sans engines - in
fact it was ordered that way and when the guy backed out of the deal,
the dealer had a blank boat. I was in the right place at the right
time.

NOYB

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

"NOYB" wrote in message

You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

No, but you used to be able to buy a Buick or Caddy with a Chevy engine.

You still do. Only now, it's called a GM engine.

Lamont Cranston

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:21:11 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message

You can't buy a Ford
with a Chevy engine...and you can't buy a Brunswick boat with a
non-Brunswick engine.

No, but you used to be able to buy a Buick or Caddy with a Chevy engine.

You still do. Only now, it's called a GM engine.

Back in the day, my Father had a '57 Chevy with an Olds engine in it.
Can't remember what size it was, but I know it was an Olds.

My maternal Grandfather was the Shop Foreman for the Oldsmobile engine
plant where they used to pour and mill the blocks.
Eisboch

"Lamont Cranston" wrote in message

Back in the day, my Father had a '57 Chevy with an Olds engine in it.
Can't remember what size it was, but I know it was an Olds.

My maternal Grandfather was the Shop Foreman for the Oldsmobile engine
plant where they used to pour and mill the blocks.

In those days, and even later, each GM division had their own engine
designs. As we moved into the late 60's and 70's all the GM parts became
generic, including the basic car frames. Who can forget that lame excuse
for a Caddy that was basically a soft spring version of a Chevy Nova? A
shame, as it ended the Golden Era of US cars. Interestingly, there seems to
be a current swing back to being more independent and to differentiate
between the car lines. This is good!

Eisboch