Default Depth sounder

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a 20ft
Starcraft center console for use in the Norfolk, Va area. The boat has a
broken Eagle Ultranav mounted. If there was an up to date Eagle product
that would use the same connections that'd be that cats meow.
This is old enough that it has Loran vice GPS.
Money is an issue so would appreciate best bang for the buck, small in
size due to small center console.
Thanks,
John

On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:51:14 -0400, "Midlant"
wrote:

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a 20ft
Starcraft center console for use in the Norfolk, Va area. The boat has a
broken Eagle Ultranav mounted. If there was an up to date Eagle product
that would use the same connections that'd be that cats meow.
This is old enough that it has Loran vice GPS.
Money is an issue so would appreciate best bang for the buck, small in
size due to small center console.

What do you mean by broken? Explain a little because it could be as
simple as a cracked crystal in the transducer - that's normally what
happens when units go bad. Need some more information though to help
out.

As to cheap units, Eagle, Humminbird and Lowrance all make inexpensive
units.

Yep, cracked face place and water is pouring out of it. It's probably
been that way for some time.
You leave me with the impression that a cracked face plate in front of a
smeared screen can still be turned on and run.
No, I didn't try turning it on. Figured that was futile.

John

wrote:

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a 20ft
Starcraft center console for use in the Norfolk, Va area. The boat has
broken Eagle Ultranav mounted. If there was an up to date Eagle
product
that would use the same connections that'd be that cats meow.
This is old enough that it has Loran vice GPS.
Money is an issue so would appreciate best bang for the buck, small in
size due to small center console.

What do you mean by broken? Explain a little because it could be as
simple as a cracked crystal in the transducer - that's normally what
happens when units go bad. Need some more information though to help
out.

As to cheap units, Eagle, Humminbird and Lowrance all make inexpensive
units.

On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:55:40 -0400, "Midlant"
wrote:

Yep, cracked face place and water is pouring out of it. It's probably
been that way for some time.

Ah - well in that case, the head unit is bad.

You leave me with the impression that a cracked face plate in front of a
smeared screen can still be turned on and run.

No - not at all. The original post was kind of vague in that respect.

No, I didn't try turning it on. Figured that was futile.

Agreed.

As to finding a replacement display, that may be problematic. You
might find one on eBay or you could place an add in craigslist or your
local want/sale magazine, but for that old a unit, I suspect not.

Newer units will probably not work with that transducer as old as it
is and most certainly the connectors won't fit.

If you are looking for something inexpensive, try Wal-Mart - they have
inexpensive Eagle units - less than $100. You might want to try eBay,
but in my experience, eBay is useless for anything now days.