Default Tons of fun - Verados..

Ok, consider me impressed.

Well, make that moderately impressed.

First off, they were pushing a 28, not a 23. I've got 23 on the brain
as I'm thinking of buying my nephew's 23 Hydra-Sports CC for use down
south.

Anyway, back to the subject.

The first thing you notice is how quiet they are - vewy vewy qwuiet.
You can certainly tell they are running just from the vibrations on
the floor of the boat, but you can hold a decent conversation standing
right next to them at idle and not notice them. Like my ETEC
actually.

They started quick and idled quick which was somewhat of a surprise -
I had heard that Verados take a while to light off, but it wasn't the
case. They didn't light off as quick as the ETEC, but it certainly
wasn't a long cranking session.

Idling out of the mooring field, we were talking conversationally and
hardly noticed the engines. I noticed that I could hear an annoying
high frequency sound like a whistle which I could hear but no one else
could hear. Chalk that up to acute hearing. It was probably related
to the super charger, maybe not. It went away once we upped the speed
a little.

Acceleration is about what you would expect with 500 horse power off
the stern - smooth with no stumbles like you can occasionally get off
a two stroke. You certainly noticed the engine noise more as the speed
increased and when we put the hammer down, you knew the engines were
running full throttle. But, much like the ETEC, you can hold a civil
conversation behind the wind screen which is a plus.

Considering that they are super charged and four strokes operating on
the ends of the HP curve, they are reasonably efficient, but they do
suck big time gas WOT. Mid range performance was a pleasant surprise
keeping the boat on plane with very little trim adjustment.

Over all, I liked them. Not as efficient as my engines were, but
still - I don't think I'd turn them down if I were offered a deal.

Even if they are four strokes. :)

On Sat, 05 May 2007 22:02:26 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, nice info.

I am considering buying a 17/18 ft center console. I like the looks of the
Mako. Any suggestions?

wrote:

[...]

I like the Makos, but I'm still firmly in the Polar or Hydra-Sports
camp - in particular the Polar boats. Well thought out, solid
construction and a lot of the "little" things included that you don't
find on original boats - meaning that you don't have to do much
modifying fo r your particular preferences.

Then again, I could put the FICHT back on the Ranger and sell you that
- wouldn't cost you much. :)

"John H." wrote in message

On Sun, 06 May 2007 20:32:26 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Then again, I could put the FICHT back on the Ranger and sell you that
- wouldn't cost you much. :)

Haven't looked at Polars or Hydra-Sports yet. Will do it though. Isn't the
Ranger the one that's about 800 lbs overweight?

ShortWave's left foot was on the scale when they weighed it.

Eisboch

Dan Dan is offline

wrote:

[...]

John,

SWS picked two of my favorites for a boat that size. Another is the Key
West - also very good build quality. The Makos seem overpriced and
there has been a lot of talk here that the quality is not the same as
when they were made in FL before Johnny Morris bought them.

Of course a local dealer is important as is the motor selection for a
particular brand.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/186cc.html

Dan

wrote:

[...]

PS. Thanks for the response.

On Sun, 6 May 2007 17:39:33 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Then again, I could put the FICHT back on the Ranger and sell you that
- wouldn't cost you much. :)

Haven't looked at Polars or Hydra-Sports yet. Will do it though. Isn't the
Ranger the one that's about 800 lbs overweight?

ShortWave's left foot was on the scale when they weighed it.

Watch it skinny.

wrote:

Haven't looked at Polars or Hydra-Sports yet. Will do it though.

Somebody mentioned Key West. They are nice, but a little spartan
compared to the Polar.

Isn't the Ranger the one that's about 800 lbs overweight?

I didn't mention the resolution to that/

Turns out, no.

It's a long story, but the short of it is that the published weight
ranges for that year (it was the first year model and actually the
third boat built) weren't correct - add in a few pounds for
manufacturing tolerance, it turns out it's not overweight.

They added some springs to the trailer, added larger discs/brakes (no
charge) and all is well.

They do stand behind their products.

So, interested? :)
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Haven't looked at Polars or Hydra-Sports yet. Will do it though.

Somebody mentioned Key West. They are nice, but a little spartan
compared to the Polar.

Isn't the Ranger the one that's about 800 lbs overweight?

I didn't mention the resolution to that/

Turns out, no.

It's a long story, but the short of it is that the published weight
ranges for that year (it was the first year model and actually the
third boat built) weren't correct - add in a few pounds for
manufacturing tolerance, it turns out it's not overweight.

They added some springs to the trailer, added larger discs/brakes (no
charge) and all is well.

They do stand behind their products.

So, interested? :)

Does this mean you're getting ready for my special SW deal on my Parker?
You need a real boat, man. One with an electric flushing toilet, sink,
stove, and refrigerator.