posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:58:52 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:52:49 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

If the sheets are run through a smart gripping device, that device
would let loose when a hull leaves the water.

I have always regarded my hand and brain as a "smart gripping device"
but I can tell you from personal experience that they are not always
smart (or quick) enough. There is a certain momentum to a lifted gust
that will just have its way with you once in awhile.

If nothing else the friction and leverage of a multipart mainsheet
tackle will do you in.

I suppose if it were practical somebody would have done it.
Since my sailing experience has mostly been cranking winches,
I defer to the old hands.
But I'm still looking for cruising cat capsizes, and the circumstances
behind them, because I *am* interested in cats.
I've googled quite a bit looking for sail/cruiser/cat capsizes and
they were all flying a hull or otherwise had a racing mentality push
with regard to wind. Not sure if any were even moderately loaded
cruisers
This one that started the thread is the only one I've seen where a
non-racer, non-charter/vacationer flipped his. The capt'n is my age
too. I'm highly interested in what happened.

--Vic

Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.nbc-2.com/Video/Xtras.sht...eoId=769701845

35 ft cat in route from Isla Mujeres to FL, 175 miles SW of Tampa

http://tinyurl.com/2vnm6o

I've had a "thing" about cats and beam seas for a long time - I just
don't think they are stable enough. Add in some sail area, gust of
wind and you can get knocked down pretty quickly.

That opinion is not built on personal experience - just a feeling
that I have based on experiences with under 30 foot power cats.

Hey - at least the water was warm.

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Petition to Remove Long Line & Trawler Gear from the Gulf of Mexico Swede General 2 July 29th 05 07:48 PM
90 Foot Wave in the Gulf of Mexico Wayne.B General 13 October 13th 04 10:11 PM
Need Info Gulf of Mexico Sherry Olson Touring 1 October 6th 03 03:57 AM