posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

http://www.nbc-2.com/Video/Xtras.sht...eoId=769701845

35 ft cat in route from Isla Mujeres to FL, 175 miles SW of Tampa

http://tinyurl.com/2vnm6o

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Wayne.B wrote in
:

35 ft cat

He'd have been home by now if he'd had a SELF RIGHTING MONOHULL....(c;

Larry

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:04:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

He'd have been home by now if he'd had a SELF RIGHTING MONOHULL....(c;

Sounds about right to me. Those cats don't always land on their feet
although there is a lot of denial about that. :-)

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I took a look at the video .. it wasn't even rough water. The skipper is
standing on the underside of the boat.

=

* Wayne.B wrote, On 4/15/2007 5:25 PM:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:04:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

He'd have been home by now if he'd had a SELF RIGHTING MONOHULL....(c;

Sounds about right to me. Those cats don't always land on their feet
although there is a lot of denial about that. :-)

I have to admit I've been one of the deniers, and the recent spate of
capsizes has been distressing. But I'm not sure why you have the
smiley - are you happy whenever there is a catamaran accident? Should
I use a smiley whenever a monohull goes to the bottom?

This is one of the very few I've heard of that was a real cruising cat
be cruised, not a racer or a delivery incident. At 35 feet its a bit
small, but since it had twin diesels it wasn't a lightweight. I'll be
curious to hear the story - My guess is that this was not a major
storm, but a case of carrying full sail when a strong squall hit.

As for self righting, there are many, many stories of monohulls being
dismasted, often with structural damage. This was certainly not the
only rescue of the season

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 15, 6:34 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I took a look at the video .. it wasn't even rough water. The skipper is
standing on the underside of the boat.

Sheeeeze NE sailboat.

Ever hear of a willawall? Microbursts?

Here in the Gulf we get freight train fronts that will lay you down on
your side in a heat beat, and be completly over in 10 min. I'd never
have a cat bigger than one I could self right.

Joe

On 15 Apr 2007 19:20:17 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

I'd never
have a cat bigger than one I could self right.

Based on my own limited experience, that sounds about right.

I used to have a small Hobie and capsized it several times. Unless
you could anticipate the gust coming before it actually hit, it would
be over before you could head up or ease the mainsheet.

These folks in the Gulf last week at least had the advantage of warm
water.

On Apr 15, 7:20�pm, "Joe" wrote:
On Apr 15, 6:34 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:

I took a look at the video .. it wasn't even rough water. *The skipper is
standing on the underside of the boat.

Sheeeeze NE sailboat.

Ever hear of a willawall? Microbursts?

Joe

Where do you hail from, Joe?

Out west we call a sudden onset storm a "williwaw", not a willawall.
Words have a way of being used differently around the country.
"Willawall" isn't such a bad variation- running into one can be like
hitting a wall and I wonder if that's behind your local usage?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I'm not happy about people getting into trouble, but it does seem like
vindication
for all the opposition I got when I originally brought up this subject months
ago.

Sherwin D.

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Petition to Remove Long Line & Trawler Gear from the Gulf of Mexico Swede General 2 July 29th 05 07:48 PM
90 Foot Wave in the Gulf of Mexico Wayne.B General 13 October 13th 04 10:11 PM
Need Info Gulf of Mexico Sherry Olson Touring 1 October 6th 03 03:57 AM