Default Questions on Avon Inflatable Dinghy Floorboards

Hi there,

I've just bought a second hand Avon S250 dinghy (the one with the
inflatable keel held in place by a fixed 'floorboard') and am struggling
a bit with the wooden floorboards (a quick google indicates I'm not the
first!)

I have a couple of questions:

1. The boards consist of a sheet of ply with a reinforcing strip around
the edge on one side. My understanding was that the boards fit with the
reinforcing strip facing up (ie visible) giving the smoothest hull form,
but the previous owner fitted the boards with the smooth side up. Which
is correct?

2. What's the easiest way of fitting the boards? The only way I've found
is to slot the side trips on first, push the boards back to the transom,
then use a screwdriver or similar to lever the front edge of the boards
behind the fixed board. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

On Apr 9, 2:32?pm, Chris -
online.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Are you trying to insert and remove the floorboards with the boat
inflated?

The floor in my Zodiac works slightly differently, but once the tubes
are inflated I can't posisbly imagine an easy way to get them in or
out. Maybe a good thing, as they won't be falling out when the dinghy
is hauled up with a davit or even towed in rough seas.

Maybe Avon floors are supposed to be inserted and removed with the
boat inflated. I would guess more likely not- but it would be a guess.

Chuck Gould wrote:

Are you trying to insert and remove the floorboards with the boat
inflated?

The floor in my Zodiac works slightly differently, but once the tubes
are inflated I can't posisbly imagine an easy way to get them in or
out. Maybe a good thing, as they won't be falling out when the dinghy
is hauled up with a davit or even towed in rough seas.

Maybe Avon floors are supposed to be inserted and removed with the
boat inflated. I would guess more likely not- but it would be a guess.

This is with the boat deflated - like the Zodiac there is no way you
would get the floorboards in with the boat inflated.

The trouble is there is a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get them in
with the boat deflated.

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

First put the boards in loosely touching in a W-like shape, with the
plastic strips that go between the boards loosely fit. Press the
boards down in place, so that they settle in the connecting plastic
strips, and the floor becomes smooth.
Then put on the side plastic strips. Then inflate.