Default OT- Screwed... but we've talked it over before....

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Since everybody is posting OT, I thought I would revisit a topic that
we discussed a year or so ago.

I was doing some deck work and had bought some stainless deck screws
with the Robertson square drive. I thought they sucked, since they
were hard to drive and tended to strip out and break off.... others
suggested that I should be pre-drilling holes. That seemed like a
unnecessary and labor intensive task.

The local building supply has stopped carrying the Robertson headed
screws and now supplies an exterior plated screw (Grip Rite) with star
drive. They are excellent! I've driven a whole box of 4 inch screws
and not one single stripped head or broken screw (and no predilling,
either).

They worked for me.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000727-1, 03/23/2007
Tested on: 3/24/2007 7:35:47 PM

Pre drill as stainless steel is a nickel/steel alloy and is very soft. If
you pre drill the screw will be subject to less stress. With coated steel
you get 1-2 years then rust spots and two years later the deck comes apart.

You lake/freshwater boaters don't have much experience with salt and
corrosion.

"Jeff Rigby" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I think you are preaching to the master, Jeff.

Eisboch

On Mar 26, 9:10 am, "Jeff Rigby" wrote:
[...]

corrosion.- Hide quoted text -

Mine's four years old and showing absolutely no signs of the above.

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Carpetbagged again. They must send the defective coated screws south. My
deck screws, subject only to splash from pool water, are red and some are
allowing the boards to come loose. The boards do stay wet for months at a
time as I live in Florida.