Default '95 Johnson 125 only running at 80% after winter

Just took my boat out for the first time since December, and I'm only
getting about 80% out of the motor. Its a '95 Johnson and I can't even
get it to plane out right now. Tried replacing the sparkplugs but no
luck. There's a lot of old gas in the tank right now, could that be
part of the problem? The engine isn't sputtering or failing to start.
It's as though I just can't get that extra Ummph to plane out.

Suggestions?

OldReliable wrote:

There's a lot of old gas in the tank right now, could that be
part of the problem?

Did you Sta-Bil it? Old gas could certainly cause issues.

sam

On Mar 26, 4:25 pm, "Sam Hayes Merritt, III"
wrote:
OldReliable wrote:
There's a lot of old gas in the tank right now, could that be
part of the problem?

Did you Sta-Bil it? Old gas could certainly cause issues.

sam

Nope, probably would have been smart but I haven't had time. I was
hoping it was just the spark plugs but that didn't appear to help
much. I will give Sta-Bil a shot, I am becoming more and more
convinced its the gas

RCE RCE is offline

oups.com...
wrote:
OldReliable wrote:
There's a lot of old gas in the tank right now, could that be
part of the problem?

Did you Sta-Bil it? Old gas could certainly cause issues.

sam

Nope, probably would have been smart but I haven't had time. I was
hoping it was just the spark plugs but that didn't appear to help
much. I will give Sta-Bil a shot, I am becoming more and more
convinced its the gas

If stale gas is the problem, adding Sta-Bil now won't fix it. It should be
added before storage to prevent the gas from going stale.

Eisboch

wrote:
OldReliable wrote:
There's a lot of old gas in the tank right now, could that be
part of the problem?

Did you Sta-Bil it? Old gas could certainly cause issues.

sam

Nope, probably would have been smart but I haven't had time. I was
hoping it was just the spark plugs but that didn't appear to help
much. I will give Sta-Bil a shot, I am becoming more and more
convinced its the gas

If stale gas is the problem, adding Sta-Bil now won't fix it. It should be
added before storage to prevent the gas from going stale.

Eisboch

Glad I saw this before I wasted 8 bucks. I'm just going to siphon out
as much gas as I can and start fresh.