Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Missing San Francisco Sailor

Still haven't found the sailor or his boat or his boat debris?

So, the last thing we heard was that he called his daughter from his boat,
15 miles past the Golden Gate, on his way to the Farallon Islands where he
was going to scatter his wife's (his mother's?) ashes. The daughter said he
sounded in good spirits. He never returned and his boat has vanished.

So what happened?

Can you scuttle a sailboat without a trail of debris? Secure everything
loose on deck below decks and seal the cockpit from the inside. Open the
through hulls and sink the boat. I think it can be done. Why would he do
that? After 7 years he can be declared dead and his daughter can reap his
insurance benefit. Did he go down with his ship or seal it from outside
after opening the through hulls? Hiding from embezzelment or larceny
charges, yet to be discovered?

We're talking about a sailboat, so its doubtful that someone pirated the
boat and made a quick getaway. The initial search would have turned up the
boat.

Maybe he fell overboard and his boat sailed right on past the Farallon
Islands on autopilot and is still headed west? The initial search wouldn't
have covered territory much past the islands.

I'm just curious about what might have happened to this large sailboat and
accomplished sailor on a fair weather outing. It's the absence of debris
that makes me wonder how this boat seems to have just vanished without a
trace.

What Typ[e of Sailor Are You Capt. Rob ASA 10 August 29th 06 04:15 AM
Missing Boater [email protected] General 2 February 10th 06 09:21 AM
Missing Boater [email protected] Cruising 2 February 10th 06 09:21 AM
What is a "Sailor"? Mic Cruising 9 September 27th 05 02:58 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM