Lloyd Sumpter

Default Place in Vancouver to plumb my holding tank?

Hi,
Can someone recommend someone who would finish plumbing my holding
tank? I can't get the *&%$#@$%# hoses on the fittings! And, I need to get
the old hose off the thru-hull, and replace it. Oh, and there's s
probably-very-evil clog somewhere in that hose that has to be dealt
with...

Is there anybody in Vancouver that does this sort of thing?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w shiny new holding tank!

Capt. Mooron

Ha Ha Ha.... Good Lord Lloyd.... trying to weasel out of the dirty work???
Do it right, do it yourself... rip out all the old hose and replace the
thru hull and backing plate. Install it correctly with proper fittings.
Bullet proof the system. Forget working with trying to tie in cruddy scent
impregnated, problematic line. Do it once and do it right. Throw in a
macerator and install a proper lockable "Y" valve. I mean really, if you're
going to stake bragging rights to a new holding tank... ;-)

CM

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
| Hi,
| Can someone recommend someone who would finish plumbing my holding
| tank? I can't get the *&%$#@$%# hoses on the fittings! And, I need to get
| the old hose off the thru-hull, and replace it. Oh, and there's s
| probably-very-evil clog somewhere in that hose that has to be dealt
| with...
|
| Is there anybody in Vancouver that does this sort of thing?
|
| Lloyd Sumpter
| "Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w shiny new holding tank!

Lloyd Sumpter

Yes, trying to "weasel out". Doing the Urban Thing of doing what I do
well, getting paid for it, then paying someone else to do what I don't do
well.

Fittings are already correct and don't need replacing. Hose is $13/ft
"no odour" sewage line. Macerator installed (with float-switch interlock
and run-dry backup and pushbutton override), Acugage Tank sensor ready to
be installed. All fittings on the top of the tank, dual 3/4" vent hoses
for flo-thru ventilation... (Don't need a Y-valve because there are
virtually no pumpout stations here on the West coast of Canada.)

But these damn hoses are winning, dammit! (and the two-week trip up the
coast is 1 1/2 weeks away...) You say "rip out the old hose..." OK...you
first!

Lloyd

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:37:33 +0000, Capt. Mooron wrote:

Ha Ha Ha.... Good Lord Lloyd.... trying to weasel out of the dirty work???
Do it right, do it yourself... rip out all the old hose and replace the
thru hull and backing plate. Install it correctly with proper fittings.
Bullet proof the system. Forget working with trying to tie in cruddy scent
impregnated, problematic line. Do it once and do it right. Throw in a
macerator and install a proper lockable "Y" valve. I mean really, if you're
going to stake bragging rights to a new holding tank... ;-)

CM

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
| Hi,
| Can someone recommend someone who would finish plumbing my holding
| tank? I can't get the *&%$#@$%# hoses on the fittings! And, I need to get
| the old hose off the thru-hull, and replace it. Oh, and there's s
| probably-very-evil clog somewhere in that hose that has to be dealt
| with...
|
| Is there anybody in Vancouver that does this sort of thing?
|
| Lloyd Sumpter
| "Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w shiny new holding tank!

Capt. Mooron

No thanks... I just completed that job on my boat and it was a bad as I
remembered when I first did it 10 years ago. I had rubber gloves, mask and
lots of bleach. Misery loves company..... ;-)

I doubt you'll find a professional service to complete the task but you
might find one of those marina jack of all trades types to do the work for
you if you ask around. There seems to be one or two around every marina.

CM

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message

| Yes, trying to "weasel out". Doing the Urban Thing of doing what I do
| well, getting paid for it, then paying someone else to do what I don't do
| well.
|
| Fittings are already correct and don't need replacing. Hose is $13/ft
| "no odour" sewage line. Macerator installed (with float-switch interlock
| and run-dry backup and pushbutton override), Acugage Tank sensor ready to
| be installed. All fittings on the top of the tank, dual 3/4" vent hoses
| for flo-thru ventilation... (Don't need a Y-valve because there are
| virtually no pumpout stations here on the West coast of Canada.)
|
| But these damn hoses are winning, dammit! (and the two-week trip up the
| coast is 1 1/2 weeks away...) You say "rip out the old hose..." OK...you
| first!
|
| Lloyd
|
| On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:37:33 +0000, Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| Ha Ha Ha.... Good Lord Lloyd.... trying to weasel out of the dirty
work???
| Do it right, do it yourself... rip out all the old hose and replace the
| thru hull and backing plate. Install it correctly with proper fittings.
| Bullet proof the system. Forget working with trying to tie in cruddy
scent
| impregnated, problematic line. Do it once and do it right. Throw in a
| macerator and install a proper lockable "Y" valve. I mean really, if
you're
| going to stake bragging rights to a new holding tank... ;-)
|

| CM
|

| "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
| | Hi,
| | Can someone recommend someone who would finish plumbing my holding
| | tank? I can't get the *&%$#@$%# hoses on the fittings! And, I need to
get
| | the old hose off the thru-hull, and replace it. Oh, and there's s
| | probably-very-evil clog somewhere in that hose that has to be dealt
| | with...
| |
| | Is there anybody in Vancouver that does this sort of thing?
| |
| | Lloyd Sumpter
| | "Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w shiny new holding tank!
| |

Buck Frobisher

It occurred to me that the new hose might loosen up enough to slide on if
you heated the it in a bucket of hot (clean water.

As for getting the old ones off, did you try cutting a slit in the hose
where it fits on the fitting? You could at least get an old wood chisel in
to convince it off. ps old as in not sharp. don't want to scratch up the
fitting.

Good luck and wear those long rubber gloves, just in case...

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

"Lloyd Sumpter" a écrit dans le message de

Yes, trying to "weasel out". Doing the Urban Thing of doing what I do
well, getting paid for it, then paying someone else to do what I don't do
well.

Fittings are already correct and don't need replacing. Hose is $13/ft
"no odour" sewage line. Macerator installed (with float-switch interlock
and run-dry backup and pushbutton override), Acugage Tank sensor ready to
be installed. All fittings on the top of the tank, dual 3/4" vent hoses
for flo-thru ventilation... (Don't need a Y-valve because there are
virtually no pumpout stations here on the West coast of Canada.)

But these damn hoses are winning, dammit! (and the two-week trip up the
coast is 1 1/2 weeks away...) You say "rip out the old hose..." OK...you
first!

Lloyd

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:37:33 +0000, Capt. Mooron wrote:

Ha Ha Ha.... Good Lord Lloyd.... trying to weasel out of the dirty

work???
Do it right, do it yourself... rip out all the old hose and replace the
thru hull and backing plate. Install it correctly with proper fittings.
Bullet proof the system. Forget working with trying to tie in cruddy

scent
impregnated, problematic line. Do it once and do it right. Throw in a
macerator and install a proper lockable "Y" valve. I mean really, if

you're
going to stake bragging rights to a new holding tank... ;-)

CM

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
| Hi,
| Can someone recommend someone who would finish plumbing my holding
| tank? I can't get the *&%$#@$%# hoses on the fittings! And, I need to

get
| the old hose off the thru-hull, and replace it. Oh, and there's s
| probably-very-evil clog somewhere in that hose that has to be dealt
| with...
|
| Is there anybody in Vancouver that does this sort of thing?
|
| Lloyd Sumpter
| "Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w shiny new holding tank!

Gould 0738

Gould's sure-fire, been there, done that,
hose fitting solution.

Got a heat gun? The kind with a tapered barrel on the end and suitable for
removing varnish? If so, you're almost home.

Turn the heat gun on low. Stick it in the end of the stubborn hose. When the
hose gets really flexible, stuff the heat gun in just slightly to increase the
diameter of the hose. Withdraw the heat gun. You should have a hose with a very
slight "bell"on the end. Soap up the male part of the joint and see if you can
just barely force the hose onto it. If so, you've got a good fit. If not, apply
slightly more heat and pressure to expand the hose some more. Shoving the hose
on when it's still hot is probably helpful, too. Perhaps it contracts just
slightly when cold.

Once fitted, use two hose clamps.

No heat gun? Buying a heat gun is much cheaper than paying some guy $150 CDN to
do the job for you, and you'll then have a handy tool. :-)
Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:25:34 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Chuck! Headmistress Peggy recommended a similar solution, and I
got it on by soaking it in not-quite-boiling water.

But Problem Two is much more insideous. The old hose is full of water, so
it's almost impossible to heat. I'm now trying to decide if I should drill
a hole in the hose to let the water out, then heat it, or try to cut it
off without damaging the fitting.

Lloyd

Gould 0738

But Problem Two is much more insideous. The old hose is full of water, so
it's almost impossible to heat. I'm now trying to decide if I should drill
a hole in the hose to let the water out, then heat it, or try to cut it
off without damaging the fitting.

Lloyd

You want to throw the old hose away, right? If it were my job to do, I'd take a
hacksaw to the hose just an inch or two beyond the end of the fitting at each
end. Throw the belly of the hose away. You now have to stub ends to deal with,
more room to work, and a better chance to see where the fitting is.

Slice the stub ends lengthwise, being extrememly careful not to slice into the
fitting. A mini hacksaw with one free end might be just the tool for this, or
use a hideously sharp knife. Once you have all but sliced through the hose, use
heavy duty pliers to get a grip that spans from the slice at (let's say) 12 o'
clock to a point at perhaps 3:30 or 4. Close the jaws of the pliers and wiggle
the hose. It should fail at the weak spot; the slice.

Most of us are better at busting something apart than we are at putting it back
together. :-)

Holding tank Paul General 10 August 9th 03 02:41 AM
Tank Level Meters: Headmistress (Peggy)? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 August 6th 03 04:30 AM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM