posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Soundproofing/Waterproofing a Honda Genny

Larry wrote:
"dene" wrote in news:1169276883.977097.126110
@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Again....don't hesitate to be critical and/or creative.

Bye bye, little Honda (snif)!

The HOT AIR coming out of the COOLING SYSTEM is heating the INSIDE of the
Coleman cooler and being sucked back INTO the cooling system! That slot
in the top isn't near enough cooling to keep it from destroying the
engine. It's breathing its own hot cooling air!!

NO, no no no NO!....

What you SHOULD have done was cut a hole and put in a piece of internal
ductwork the same size as the WHOLE hot air outlet around the exhaust,
that whole grillework where the hot air comes out around the muffler
inside the gen's case. On the OTHER end of the cooler, you should have
opened a hole to let outside air INTO the cooler, sucked in by the vacuum
the air blowing out the cooling air exhaust causes, which will fill the
cooler with COOL air, NOT its own hot cooling air. The intake should
have a little rain cover pointing down and open all along the bottom.

The slot in the top is totally unnecessary if you use the cooling I
describe, so no "cover" to keep the rain out will be necessary. Drill
some holes in the bottom of the cooler, say 3/4", so any water that
stands in the bottom of the cooler will simply drain out under it.

Just some clarification, Larry. The slot on the top is not for
ventilation. It exists only because the cooler was tall enough.
Ventilation comes from the drilled holes on the side and a 2 1/4 hole
near the power outlets. However, I agree more vents are needed.
Today, when running it, I will keep the top partially open and buy some
louvered vents to install on the side. I'm also thinking about putting
a small fan inside, sincere this is room on the power outlet side for
it. FTR, there is room on all sides of the unit...enough room for my
hand to switch it to on and pull the starter.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

dene wrote:
A couple of months ago, somebody in a boating forum described using a
modified cooler to house a honda 2000 genny.
-Greg Schoenberg
"She Said Yes"
2002 Regal 2465
Kalama, Washington

HiGeg:
Great idea!
I too agree about the heat problem. But hey, run a test. Stick a
Thermometer in side and start er up. Please post you results this
aternoon.

Ever run into a family named Miller in your town? Most the kids would
be in their 50s by now.
Bob.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

JR North wrote:
The genny is gonna overheat big time in that insulated enclosure.It's
not just the engine and exhaust. The alternator and inverter board also
generate heat when loaded. Suggest 2 4" 12V muffin fans, located 1 at
either end, one blowing in, and the other blowing out, for air flow.
These can be inset in the case, with an eave of fiberglass over them on
the outside to protect from rain. Connect the fans to the 12V sockets on
the genny, so they run when the gen is started. Hard to tell from the
pics, but it looks like you can relieve the inside of the lid more and
close it completely.This would be desirable with the fan setup.
JR

Thanks for your advice and also the pictures of your gen-set. Clever!

I intend to buy a couple of muffin fans today and also create more
ventilation holes. I like your idea about creating a larger hole on
top of the lid. That would allow it to close tight once we resolve the
ventiliation issues. The seat cover covers and insulate the top
sufficiently.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
RCE RCE is offline

"dene" wrote in message
ups.com...

Buy yourself a bigger plastic bin to store it in, out of sight and out of
the rain.
Remove the generator from the bin to use it.

Your design is dangerous, will overheat the generator and, by default,
contain any spilled fuel and vapors.

Honda designed it the way they did for many reasons.

Eisboch

Bob wrote:
dene wrote:
A couple of months ago, somebody in a boating forum described using a
modified cooler to house a honda 2000 genny.
-Greg Schoenberg
"She Said Yes"
2002 Regal 2465
Kalama, Washington

HiGeg:
Great idea!
I too agree about the heat problem. But hey, run a test. Stick a
Thermometer in side and start er up. Please post you results this
aternoon.

Ever run into a family named Miller in your town? Most the kids would
be in their 50s by now.
Bob.

Not yet Bob. We just moved to "Mayberry" six months ago. We're slowly
getting to know folks.

I'll bring the thermometer and post the results.

Great feedback....thanks a bunch!

-Greg

dene wrote:
Great feedback....thanks a bunch!

-Greg

Well, welcome to the neighborhod! Dont get lost in the Columbia Mist.
SInce your a local now, do you know anything about the Ilwaco marina?
Im looking for a new spot to roost.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Butch Davis wrote:
Looks like a great prototype. A taller cooler should help a lot. Is the
genny mounted to the bottom of the cooler to prevent shifting while
underway? How hot does the exhaust vent become with high power loads?
Could it be protected from inadvertent touching? I would continue to very
carefully monitor generator cooling.

There isn't much room for it to shift. The slot in the lid holds it
well.

I would also recommend the exhaust be vented at the lowest practicable level
to ensure no carbon monoxide spills into the cockpit. One would assume that
prevailing breezes would place the bow into the wind at anchor and that
speed while underway would do the same. But, you never know when something
will happen and cause/allow carbon monoxide to get into people spaces.
Perhaps the most dangerous situation would be using the genny while tied to
the dock. A few carefully placed carbon monoxide monitors/alarms would
provide an acceptable comfort level.

It's on the upper swim platform with the exhaust near the engine vent.
I always run it when running the genny. Also, I have CO monitors in
the cockpit and cabin.

-Greg

Bob wrote:
dene wrote:
Great feedback....thanks a bunch!

-Greg

Well, welcome to the neighborhod! Dont get lost in the Columbia Mist.
SInce your a local now, do you know anything about the Ilwaco marina?
Im looking for a new spot to roost.

It's misty this mornin fer sure.

Illwaco is a long ways from here. I understand it can be a bearcat to
get in and out, due to tides and weather. I have yet to attempt it
with my 25 footer. Cathlamet would be my choice if you need to moor
that far up the river. Kalama had an opening for a covered moorage
last month. I believe the rate was $115/mo.

We keep ours in a private boathouse on Hayden Island, owned by a buddy
of mine who charges me $75/mo.

-Greg

dene wrote:
It's misty this mornin fer sure.

Illwaco is a long ways from here. I understand it can be a bearcat to
get in and out, due to tides and weather. I have yet to attempt it
with my 25 footer. Cathlamet would be my choice if you need to moor
that far up the river. Kalama had an opening for a covered moorage
last month. I believe the rate was $115/mo.

We keep ours in a private boathouse on Hayden Island, owned by a buddy
of mine who charges me $75/mo.
-Greg

Thanks Greg. My sights were more twords the lower end of the river. I
spent a week at Scooner Creek's yard and the island is a bit too much
city for me. Next time Im up that way I will take a look at Cathlamet.
Thanks for the info.
Good luck with your new spot. And I dont want to see you on KATU
sliding down some street with all that freezing rain.
Bob