Default Good marine binoculars good enough?

I need binoculars for my little boat. I have been told the Steiner
Commander V model is excellent, and it costs about 700 eurobucks. For
example it would have these features:

-outstanding brightness for twilight use
-rangefinder reticle
-autofocus
-nitrogen filled, the nitrogen won't leak out and there is a guarantee
for 10 years they will not get fogged in any conditions
-shockproof - drop them and the prisms still won't move
-really waterproof

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/bi...arine/392.html

The high price however makes me doubt whether this is a good investment
at this point. There are some very good marine binoculars for around
200 bucks with similar specs (nitrogen filled etc). The Fujinon models
have been praised:

http://fujinon.binoculars.com/series...lars-2501.html

The question is which of these would be worthwhile - Fujinon, maybe the
cheaper Steiners (eg. Observer), others? How much of the above features
would I give up by not going for the Commanders right away? Would I get
around with the cheaper ones for the few first years, and should they
last for years to come after that? I would prefer a model with an
integrated compass.

Or alternatively I could go for compact generic travel binoculars at
first (7x25 or 8x20 or something like that for maybe just 100 bucks),
then upgrade in 1-3 years to a real binocular, and use these as the 2nd
boat binoculars and just generic binoculars everywhere. Would this be a
bad idea - ie. are these kinds of binoculars of any use while boating -
for now I'd stick mostly to daylight conditions with fair visibility
anyway?

Risto

Harry Krause wrote:

Steiner makes waterproof binocs in 8x20, or maybe 8x30. Those might be
used more successfully on a small boat.

Wouldn't a heavy magnification (8x) however make the movement of the
boat more pronounced than with the standard 7x - the field of view
would appear to bob and heave more? (Following your advice one might go
for say 6x18 binoculars from Helios, which are waterproof and dirt
cheap...)

Risto

Varis wrote:
[...]

I've got a wonderful pair of marine binocs that cost around $300 US
many years ago.
I can't image why the typical boater would really need something beyond
this medium price range. I'd get some good quality, genuine marine
binoculars and not worry about stepping up to the diamond studded
stuff. I agree with most of Harry's binocular comments, particularly
including the fact that the range finder is a PITA to use and for most
of us not really necessary. My binocs have a range finder, and I don't
think I've used it 3 times.

"Varis" wrote
I need binoculars for my little boat.

Sounds like you need a bigger boat ...

On 5 Jan 2007 06:54:00 -0800, "Varis" wrote:

The high price however makes me doubt whether this is a good investment
at this point. There are some very good marine binoculars for around
200 bucks with similar specs (nitrogen filled etc). The Fujinon models
have been praised:

The right size for marine use is typically 7 x 50 because that gives
the best night vision, and can still be held steadily enough on most
boats. Steiner and Fujinon both make great binoculars but the Fujinon
image stabilized models are reported to be in a class by themselves.

I currently have a nice pair of Steiner 7 x 50s on my boat but my next
pair will be the 12 x 50 stabilized Fujinons.

Dan Dan is offline

Harry Krause wrote:

On 1/5/2007 10:09 AM, Varis wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

Steiner makes waterproof binocs in 8x20, or maybe 8x30. Those might be
used more successfully on a small boat.

Wouldn't a heavy magnification (8x) however make the movement of the
boat more pronounced than with the standard 7x - the field of view
would appear to bob and heave more? (Following your advice one might go
for say 6x18 binoculars from Helios, which are waterproof and dirt
cheap...)

Risto

I dunno. I can't use my 7x50 Fujis on my 25' Parker. I can use a pair of
8x30 Steiner Navigators, though. There's too much motion usually for me
to use the 7x50s.

I use the binocs mainly to pick out channel marker buoy numbers and to
see what the guys in boats nearby are reeling in when they fish. Where I
boat, there's little need to do long-distance gazing.

If you had a lobster boat, that would be different.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 5 Jan 2007 06:54:00 -0800, "Varis" wrote:

Or alternatively I could go for compact generic travel binoculars at
first (7x25 or 8x20

7x25 is all you need for a small boat - range finding binocs are
useless.

Stabilised binocs are fine, but they vary in technique from wet bag to
gyro stabilised. The gyro binocs are the best.

But for a small boat, go with the 7x25s.

I have a pair of 7x35 Nikon's I purchased for less than $50 on sale
from a boat store. They have never failed me for my recreational
needs.

Why folks seem to think they have to spend big bucks for these things
is beyond me.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:44:56 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 5 Jan 2007 16:46:33 -0800, "JimH" wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 5 Jan 2007 06:54:00 -0800, "Varis" wrote:

Or alternatively I could go for compact generic travel binoculars at
first (7x25 or 8x20

7x25 is all you need for a small boat - range finding binocs are
useless.

Stabilised binocs are fine, but they vary in technique from wet bag to
gyro stabilised. The gyro binocs are the best.

But for a small boat, go with the 7x25s.

I have a pair of 7x35 Nikon's I purchased for less than $50 on sale
from a boat store. They have never failed me for my recreational
needs.

Why folks seem to think they have to spend big bucks for these things
is beyond me.

There have been times where I could have used a set of gyro stabilized
binoculars - hasn't been often though.

If I had my druthers, I'd opt for a good set of light amplifying
binoculars for night viewing.

And, if you can easily afford the best, why settle for something well down
the line. The Canon 10 x42 stabilized is a fine pair of binoculars!
--

John

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:43:32 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I'd prefer gyro to wet bag stabilization - personal preference.

The IS Fujinons use piezo cyrstals to create an electronic gyro that
drives minature servo operated prisms. Very fast and accurate, best
technology available from what I've read.

JimH wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 5 Jan 2007 06:54:00 -0800, "Varis" wrote:

Or alternatively I could go for compact generic travel binoculars at
first (7x25 or 8x20

7x25 is all you need for a small boat - range finding binocs are
useless.

Stabilised binocs are fine, but they vary in technique from wet bag to
gyro stabilised. The gyro binocs are the best.

But for a small boat, go with the 7x25s.

I have a pair of 7x35 Nikon's I purchased for less than $50 on sale
from a boat store. They have never failed me for my recreational
needs.

Why folks seem to think they have to spend big bucks for these things
is beyond me.

as was was explained to me, in terms of "Boat Dollars" it is actually
pretty cheap.

here's a handy conversion chart:

1 "Boat Dollar" is the equivalent to $100 to a non-boater.